Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
That should work. Technically no difference. If you hook them up using factory wiring they will turn off with your brights on, but not a huge deal. Connector at the bulb could be different I suppose, but that is an easy splice.
are the oem fogs i got H11?

How many watts?

I want some better bulbs when i install them - but dont want to fry wiring etc

Thanks!

Also can you get lamin x type clear covers for the fogs and headlights?
Yes H11. With factory wiring you can run 55W bulbs no problem. Laminx is fine, but anything but clear technically reduces lighting. If you are after yellow look into yellow bulbs.

Registered
Discussion Starter #42
Thank you

I will search some 55w h11

If you have recommendations let me know

I was looking to add clear lamin x to headlight and fogs as i dont want them rock pitted

No yellow lamin x for me 馃檪

That should work. Technically no difference. If you hook them up using factory wiring they will turn off with your brights on, but not a huge deal. Connector at the bulb could be different I suppose, but that is an easy splice.
are the oem fogs i got H11?

How many watts?

I want some better bulbs when i install them - but dont want to fry wiring etc

Thanks!

Also can you get lamin x type clear covers for the fogs and headlights?
Yes H11. With factory wiring you can run 55W bulbs no problem. Laminx is fine, but anything but clear technically reduces lighting. If you are after yellow look into yellow bulbs.

Registered
Discussion Starter #43
One more question for you. I bought the OEM harness/OEM switch you guys recommended.

What about relay? What relay should I get, I am confused.

Some say get the AUX relay. But people say if you get that, the fogs will only light up with High Beam.

Appreciate the help

Registered
Discussion Starter #44
Most all Toyota fog lights are the same, so I am almost certain they are direct fit to the OEM bumper wings that look like these.

On my China-knockoffs they almost fit...had to slightly adjust, but the overall answer is yes...so now I have OEM fog lights that work like OEM fog lights, which is nice.

See how the crappy China ones started melting? You can also see how the mounting holes are a touch off. I had to trim those on the Taco fogs to fit my Chinese wings.

wee bit of trimming

if you get OEM wings, I am betting they would come with OEM fogs and thus be perfect. However, if you cannot source OEM, you can get a pair of Tacoma fogs for $40-50 as takeoffs.

The problem is it is not worth doing what I did. $200+ on the Chinese kit, then having to repaint them and spend money on Tacoma fog lights. Im probably $300 into this lol

This is the OEM kit sans wiring: https://www.ebay.com/p/Genuine-Toyota-FJ-Cruiser-07-14-OEM-Front-Bumper-Fog-Light-Kit-LH-RH-Pair/23006770257?iid=113695490793&chn=ps
Also can you give me a an approx measurement of your china/oem tacoma fogs? I want to order some clear protection for them. Thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter #45
I did it in my car> if you want to do all things Oem,, it will cost you a lot fro nothings.
I recommended you to only buy just the foglights+Pads with the switch only.

and make your own wirring. puls you can control the foglights as you like, instead of the stupid oem control (only work with the Low beam)
Foglights and harness and button is here.

Can you tell me what you did for the relay, so we can control the light with switch?

Registered
Discussion Starter #46
Not sure yet what harness I will use. I currently have a set of PIAA foglights mounted on a bullbar, but I am planning to install my new Metal Tech hidden winch bumper with these new wings attached. I will consider using the PIAA harness if possible since it is already wired to a switch, but the JOGON harness seems adequate otherwise. The wings themselves feel at least as high quality as OEM.
Looking at the JOGON ones and my OEM ones, are the JOGON lights more recessed?

Registered
Foglights and harness and button is here.

Can you tell me what you did for the relay, so we can control the light with switch?

Excellent,, I will be glad to provide any help

Let me see what you have for better explain

Show us what you have first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #48
Excellent,, I will be glad to provide any help

Let me see what you have for better explain

Show us what you have first

Thank you for any and all help.

This is what I have.

1) OEM Fog lights
2) OEM black bumper pads
3) Switch
4)PT297-35070-SH Harness to Switch
5) PT297-35070-LH Harness to Lights

From my LIMITED understanding, I need a "relay" and "15 amp" fuse. Problem seems to be confusing. The relay is for AUX light since USA doesn't have fogs. People say AUX light makes my fog light go ON only with high beam. There is some work around (which I still am searching). Thus also confused on relay part.

Attachments

Registered

This is what I have.

1) OEM Fog lights

2) OEM black bumper pads

3) Switch

From my LIMITED understanding, I need a "relay" and "15 amp" fuse. Problem seems to be confusing. The relay is for AUX light since USA doesn't have fogs. People say AUX light makes my fog light go ON only with high beam. There is some work around (which I still am searching). Thus also confused on relay part.

Excellent 貙貙 you have the full set except the:
The 鈥渞elay" and "15 amp" fuse.

About the relay: I thing they call it a micro relay (not sure about that). You can get Hella or other brands instead of the expensive Toyota.

About the installation very easy: check the oem PDF here:

http://www.lastgreatroadtrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/toyota-fj-cruiser-auxiliary-lights-install.pdf

You just deal with this pdf as a Fog lights instead of Aux lights .. also the same with the switch location.

And about the length of the last harness (to the lights itself) I don鈥檛 know if the modified it to reach the fog lights or not. Put if not then you need to redoing it. To make it reach the left and right corners.. easy to do..

There is two extra wires behind the switch harness (it is for the switch orange lights) like the other switches around it. The switch will operate without it indeed. This two separate wires need a - and + from any switch Around it,,

About the fog\aux light go ON only with high beam.. this problem also in Tacoma and Toyota cars.. easy fix::

For me I bend the signal pin in the relay and provide a positive signal from any place inside the relay box (in the engine bay).
Super easy..

I did like this one but without a fuse. Don鈥檛 think you need here a fuse at all.

This mod will let my fog lights work on / off with the low beam, and when you turn the lights to high beam . The fog lights will shut off...

hope this help, and anything else just ask, we here for you

Extra help:

Registered
Discussion Starter #50
THANK YOU SO MUCH

I am going to attempt it in a week or so (when I get back from business trip) and hopefully be able to achieve it.

The relay part now I am understanding. The part where you say "if it needs a fuse or not," I will read a bit more and see what comes of it

I will keep updated this post

About the relay: I thing they call it a micro relay (not sure about that). You can get Hella or other brands instead of the expensive Toyota.

http://www.lastgreatroadtrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/toyota-fj-cruiser-auxiliary-lights-install.pdf

You just deal with this pdf as a Fog lights instead of Aux lights .. also the same with the switch location.

And about the length of the last harness (to the lights itself) I don鈥檛 know if the modified it to reach the fog lights or not. Put if not then you need to redoing it. To make it reach the left and right corners.. easy to do..

There is two extra wires behind the switch harness (it is for the switch orange lights) like the other switches around it. The switch will operate without it indeed. This two separate wires need a - and + from any switch Around it,,

About the fog\aux light go ON only with high beam.. this problem also in Tacoma and Toyota cars.. easy fix::

For me I bend the signal pin in the relay and provide a positive signal from any place inside the relay box (in the engine bay).
Super easy..

I did like this one but without a fuse. Don鈥檛 think you need here a fuse at all.

This mod will let my fog lights work on / off with the low beam, and when you turn the lights to high beam . The fog lights will shut off...

Extra help:

Registered
THANK YOU SO MUCH

I am going to attempt it in a week or so (when I get back from business trip) and hopefully be able to achieve it.

The relay part now I am understanding. The part where you say "if it needs a fuse or not," I will read a bit more and see what comes of it

You鈥檙e welcome my friend..

The relay part is a signal,, don鈥檛 think where is any risk or something to fuse this section.

I will recommend to do it directly without a fuse.. I did it before and used it more than a year without any issues.

Plus, I am a Mechanic engineer (instructor)
I mean I said what logic to me in a knowledge way ..

If I am wrong, someone will correct me indeed.

Registered
Discussion Starter #52
THANK YOU SO MUCH

You鈥檙e welcome my friend..

The relay part is a signal,, don鈥檛 think where is any risk or something to fuse this section.

I will recommend to do it directly without a fuse.. I did it before and used it more than a year without any issues.

Plus, I am a Mechanic engineer (instructor)
I mean I said what logic to me in a knowledge way ..

If I am wrong, someone will correct me indeed.

any pics of yours?!

Wish i went to engineering school!!
JD /MBA

Registered
Discussion Starter #55

This is what I have.

1) OEM Fog lights

2) OEM black bumper pads

3) Switch

Super easy..

Extra help:

The harness from bumper wing light to by the relay box plug is not long enough

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #56
Mods completed today:

1) drilled holes for fog light wiring. Had to extend oem AUX light wiring

2) wire the relay- so instead of fog working when high beam on (as toyota wanted), now fog works completely independent of all lights Big thanks to @jkjet @sni511per

3) add android auto and apple car play outlets

4) wire the fog light button so green indicator works when light is on

5) wire the foglight with other switches (rear diff lock), so that fog light button is orange when headlights are on like all instrument lights

Last mod left : ordered one more button- so that there are no more blanks

Attachments

41 - 56 of 56 Posts