Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 4x4 automatic and looking to tow a boat and trailer weighing ~3,500lbs.

What is the recommended gear while towing around city, hill country, launching and loading boat? Drive D, 4, 2H, 4H?

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Two questions:
1. Is this your first 4WD vehicle?

2. Do you have a copy of the owner's manual? If not, you can download a free copy from the Toyota.com website: 'Owners" tab, then 'Resources', then "Manuals and Warranties".

Most of the time, you'll be in 4th, but occasionally 3rd or even 2nd as necessary to allow a reasonable balance between throttle opening and RPM while climbing and while descending grades. 2WD ONLY on paved surfaces, but 4WD can be used for a few hundred feet straight ahead when pulling the boat out on a slippery ramp.

The short-wheelbase FJ was never intended to be a HD tow vehicle, hence no factory option with trans cooler, engine oil cooler, high-output alternator, etc. like is available on other Toyota trucks. If you are going to tow on anything other than dead flat, a transmission cooler and regular trans lubricant changes are highly recommended.

On long, moderately steep grades WITHOUT towing anything I occasionally saw torque converter outlet temperatures on my 2014 of over 240F before I added an auxiliary transmission cooler.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Yep, 4.

Don't use 4WD on high-traction surfaces like dry pavement, although brief use on the boat ramp is fine (in a straight line).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts