Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know a couple of you couldn't make it this past Sunday (way too short notice for that kind of thing), and said you'd want to go later in the season.

I figured it would be good to get the ball rolling now.

So, let's look at our calendars and see if we can land a solid date to get together and go racing on the ice!!

This is their schedule page...
<< Our Gang Ice Racing // Georgetown, CO >>

Here are the dates for the events that I'm ready to participate in (i.e.
street/stock bare rubber races) for the rest of the 2011 season (there are other dates with higher classes/levels of racing, but Sandi's not prepared for any of that quite yet)...

[bold names are in, others are maybe]

Sunday, Feb. 20
OCR14a
FJ Carlos

Sunday, Feb. 27
OCR14a
KJ2FJ
RobPolak
The Badge
Madman#1

Which date works best for you?

They also have a 'just for fun day' (no official races) on Friday, Feb. 25,
but I won't be taking off work for that.....sorry that I had it in the list previously.

FEES (here's what you can expect to pay for these events)

Tech inspection (once per season): $5

Race entry (per racer, per race entered....sometimes you can enter multiple races per day, but we only do one): $20

p.s. Of course, anyone can go whenever they want. I'm just seeing if people want to go together on the same day. Also, I called this an 'FJC Event' in the thread title, but it is not any sort of official event (other than the officialness which is already inherent in their organization's ice racing rules, etc). I'm only being organized about the 'which Date' part, hoping to get out there with some of you guys on the same day and all that.

p.p.s. If you missed it, you can see my page about our first time up there HERE. Oh ya, and just in case anyone is concerned about safety while ice racing, etc.... it's extremely safe and very hard to get into any sort of trouble with the class/level of racing I'm talking about getting into. Both drivers in each heat start on opposite sides of the track, and never get close enough to each other to touch. Also, we're only going probably 10-15 MPH (maybe 20-25 if you want to chance a spin-out along one of the straight stretches). So, even if you slip up, you're not gonna go very far, and there's nothing to hit except tiny plastic cones and more ice and snow. In fact, if you do happen to look at your speedometer while 'racing', you might be a little embarrassed to be calling it racing at all, but since both vehicles are dealing with the same conditions, it really is a race.....and it's fun :clap:
When we get practice time, we are free to try out the 'fast track', and there you have to use good sense when flying around, but we most likely won't get to race on that track unless we retool the FJ and enter a higher class (which might come next season for us, but still long way off).

·
Forum Detective
2,273 Posts
I would like to go, your pics from last weekend made me jealous. I'll have to check with the fiancé to see what our schedules are like for those weekends and get back.
I too think it would be neat to get a group of us together for this.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to go, your pics from last weekend made me jealous. I'll have to check with the fiancé to see what our schedules are like for those weekends and get back.
I too think it would be neat to get a group of us together for this.
Cool. Good to know you're interested, agent bloodhound. :clap:

I look forward to meeting you again. I don't think I've seen you (offline, that is) since that Lefthand run in April.

·
Forum Detective
2,273 Posts
It looks like this Sunday won't work. Schedule has been messed up lately and I am eager to get it back Monday - Friday so I can go play on the weekends. I should know in the next few weeks if the Feb 20th will work for me. I'm also trying to talk another friend into bringing his S4 out.
Steven
I think it has been since the Lefthand run since we have talked (Offline), way to long.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like this Sunday won't work. Schedule has been messed up lately and I am eager to get it back Monday - Friday so I can go play on the weekends. I should know in the next few weeks if the Feb 20th will work for me. I'm also trying to talk another friend into bringing his S4 out.
OK, cool. No prob.
We'll just look to the Feb. 20 date as a possible FJ Cruiser outing on the ice.

JammerGirl and I may go this Sunday anyway, but if we do, we'll still be in for going when everyone else can get together.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I really wanted to do this last year every time I drove by. Off the top of my head I have nothing happening on the 20th so I should be able to make it.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmmmm i might once i start getting paid hmmm i really want to do this sometime
X-mas money (or did you spend it all on your gf at TK's place) :lol:

I really wanted to do this last year every time I drove by. Off the top of my head I have nothing happening on the 20th so I should be able to make it.
Cool. That would be fun to ice it up together. :bigthumb:

I started putting usernames on the list in the OP.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm free for the 27th. I most likely won't be sliding around on the lake* but I think it would be fun to watch.

*Got a new gf and she has never been wheeling, don't want to scare the sh!t out of her on our first FJ outing. She might surprise me though and be down for it... we will see.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm free for the 27th. I most likely won't be sliding around on the lake* but I think it would be fun to watch.

*Got a new gf and she has never been wheeling, don't want to scare the sh!t out of her on our first FJ outing. She might surprise me though and be down for it... we will see.
Cool. I put you on the list for Feb. 27.
I think you should just do it. There's nothing scary about it at all other than wha the mind makes up before you get there.....it was actually even more tame than I thought it was going to be.

At any rate, it'll be cool to see you again. :cheers:

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think we're in for the 20th. :cheers:
possibly this sunday but most likely the 27th
Cool. I put you guys on the lists.
We'll be there both times (20 & 27).

Rob, the next one for our class isn't 'this Sunday' (which would be the 13th), but the one after that.

This Sunday, I'll be attending the Founders Symposium (The West that Was: Exploring Colorado's Fossil Past) presented by the Western Interior Paleontological Society (plug).

When we get closer to the dates, we can pick a meeting spot (maybe one of the park-n-rides near the I-70 road cut) and caravan the rest of the way if you guys want to.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey mountain mike and The Badge,
are you guys coming out this Sunday, the 20th (RobPolak?)?

JammerGirl and I will be there.

There are conflicting notes on their site as to whether registration and practice start at either 7:30 or 8:00, but we're going with the 7:30 time slot (that's what we were going for last time, and when we got there at about 7:50, we were definitely not too early).

If you want, we can meet up at this park-n-ride area near the I-70 road cut (LINK).

The time from here to the Res. is probably about 45 minutes. So, if we do this, we should meet up and leave around 6:45.

Otherwise, we'll meet up with you guys at the Res. at about 7:30.

What say you?

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
im thinking about going this weekend, because next week i have a weekend project with my class :flame:....ummm how much in all does this usually cost? thats my factor :couto:

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im thinking about going this weekend, because next week i have a weekend project with my class :flame:....ummm how much in all does this usually cost? thats my factor :couto:
The fees are as follows...

Tech inspection (once per season): $5

Race entry (per racer, per race entered....sometimes you can enter multiple races per day, but we only do one): $20

·
Forum Detective
2,273 Posts
Hey mountain mike and The Badge,
are you guys coming out this Sunday, the 20th (RobPolak?)?

JammerGirl and I will be there.

There are conflicting notes on their site as to whether registration and practice start at either 7:30 or 8:00, but we're going with the 7:30 time slot (that's what we were going for last time, and when we got there at about 7:50, we were definitely not too early).

If you want, we can meet up at this park-n-ride area near the I-70 road cut (LINK).

The time from here to the Res. is probably about 45 minutes. So, if we do this, we should meet up and leave around 6:45.

Otherwise, we'll meet up with you guys at the Res. at about 7:30.

What say you?

We are going to be coming from Avon so we'll meet you there, well I think. I didn't realize that it was that early in the morning. We are going to see a friend and might have a drink or 10 while we are there so I am hoping to make it by 8 am. However, if past history is an indicator I give myself about a 50/50 chance of making it.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Doh, should of seen that :domotwak:

I wana go but it wont be till later that I know if i can go...school...:blowingup:
We are going to be coming from Avon so we'll meet you there, well I think. I didn't realize that it was that early in the morning. We are going to see a friend and might have a drink or 10 while we are there so I am hoping to make it by 8 am. However, if past history is an indicator I give myself about a 50/50 chance of making it.

OK, cool.
We'll see you guys there if you make it out this Sunday.

For Mike...
registration and practice are open till they have the morning drivers meeting, which is usually at around 9:30. So, if you don't care about practice time at all (important for first-timers, but not absolutely necessary), you could probably be OK if you got there by about 9:15 if you wanted to cut it close (time for the inspection, etc).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts