Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
No Road Trip 2011? Not to rub it in but I'm starting my RT 2011 in 3 days!

I saw your rig featured in the Total Chaos ad in the current issue of Toyota Owners Mag. Some cool shots, even one taken by me. But what about the shot were your sitting on an island.... how was that done? Where?

Alan

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
I'm probably headed there also but I'm planning to ride my Yamaha Grizzly and leave the FJ parked. If I can fix the carburetor issue in the morning that is. AG FJ pulling a camo four-wheeler if I make it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No Road Trip 2011? Not to rub it in but I'm starting my RT 2011 in 3 days!

I saw your rig featured in the Total Chaos ad in the current issue of Toyota Owners Mag. Some cool shots, even one taken by me. But what about the shot were your sitting on an island.... how was that done? Where?

Alan
I'm trying to head to Kuwait (or Afghanistan, if nothing else opens up) for a few years, so she'll be parked for quite some time... go forth, Ace, and may the road treat you well!

Yeah, TC asked for some of the photos from this year and ended up using them in their full page ad in the magazine, which was super cool.

The island shot was funny...random mountain trail in Montana that had a sweet lake at the top. It was a little deeper than I thought, but I just couldn't resist driving to the middle of the lake to park on the little island. I left the camera on a tripod and had a wireless remote. It has to be one of my favorites from this year. I think it was a place called Lower Boulder Lake, near Sheridan and Twin Bridges, Montana.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm probably headed there also but I'm planning to ride my Yamaha Grizzly and leave the FJ parked. If I can fix the carburetor issue in the morning that is. AG FJ pulling a camo four-wheeler if I make it tomorrow.
Nice! I'll be down there for most of the day, so I'm sure I'll see you out there!

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Didn't get the 4-wheeler fixed until Saturday afternoon so I didn't make it to Durhamtown yesterday. I'm headed that way now with my daughter to try out the ATV trails.

I need to get back on the trails with my FJ but it's an ATV weekend this time around. Besides, the Grizzly is a lot easier to clean up!

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Made it out to Durhamtown today with my daughter for a little ATV riding. The FJ stayed nice and clean in the parking lot but the Grizzly got just a little dirty! Had a great time on the trails and then I decided to go play in the Mud Pit. I got seriously stuck in about 10 seconds. Of course I went straight for the worst looking part of the bog and it turns out it was a good bit worse than I thought.

A couple of other ATV's tried to be anchors for my winch line, but I just dragged them toward me. I didn't budge an inch. They finally sent a Bobcat out to get me. After that, we did some more trails including the swamp and the pond with no problems. That Mud Pit is something else! Unbelievably slick. You can hardly walk on what looks like level ground. The mud is just greasy, slick soup.

Next trip over, the Grizzly stays home and I'll get the FJ dirty.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Next trip over, the Grizzly stays home and I'll get the FJ dirty.
I'm glad that I wasn't the only one getting stuck... first big hole in Zone 1 and I had to break out the winch!

What a great day, though... Sorry I missed you out there, but we spent the day paddling through the mud. Wow, at the holes out there!

Later in the day, we checked out the newly opened area. Upon seeing what I thought was just a set of 2 small puddles, I decided to splash my way through the trees...

The first small puddle had a 4 foot trench dug out of the left side that completely stopped me in my tracks, sideways, under water. A buddy came to the rescue and got my winch line set up so I could get out before the water level in my cab reached my seat.

No worries...surely the next puddle can't be that bad... that is where I found the 4 foot trench on the right side. I was completely tilted on my side and under water, yet again. This time, the right side of my cab completely filled with muddy water.

Anyway, quite a fun, muddy day. Next time you head down, give me a shout and I'll head down there.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
I've never done Zone 1. I've looked at twice but each time someone else was in the process of breaking their truck there. The first time I saw a guy had managed to claw his way back up to the main trail and he was trying to finish knocking his right front fender off with a sledge hammer!

My FJ is my daily driver so I can't beat it up too much. I skip Zone 1 and get into Zones 2, 3 and 4. I even do the Ball Breaker without too much trouble.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Lostsoul I'll let you know for sure but we're thinking about next Sunday. We'll bring my FJ and my brother's TJ and do some more exploring.

I've got to stop some time and do my tax filing, mow the grass, paint the house, .......

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I live in marietta and I just bought my first FJ and I'm really itching to find some mud holes. Ive done some rock climbing with it up in jasper but nothing major. I was wondering if one of yall could point me in the right direction and give me a few tips. Mine is 07 4x4 with full skid plates and thats pretty much it.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Mud holes are kind of hard to find right now with the weather running in the mud 90's and no rain.

If we catch a little rain, Sweetwater Trail is not far from you. It's off of Hwy 20 near the Hwy 108 junction in Cherokee County. I wouldn't recommend going alone, the mud there can be severe. Search for Scott30184 on YouTube, I've got a couple of videos there from that trail.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Keep an eye on the southeasten region section. We went out a couple of weeks ago and plan to keep some sort of rides going in the near future.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts