Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The fresh palette. I brought her home from Larry H. Miller Toyota Oct 2007.
A-Trac, Locker, TRD exhaust,

My first mod was the can of diet coke my wife left in the console that froze and exploded.

My first REAL mod was the all-weather rubber floor mats my wife gave me for christmas.

Next I put a wrench to my truck for the first time. Black tundra door handles.
and I made a video:
Door Handle Swap

Then I installed the newly released (in '08) side sun visors. And guess what... I made another video:
Sun Visor addition

Then came the OEM roof rack. (so far I haven't needed more)

Next I painted the bezel white. White roof - white bezel just like the old 40's (that didn't have a chrome bezel)
and an Old Man Emu lift (Heavy heavies up front, mediums in the back)

Got in on a group buy for the Manik tail light guards

Bought some Geri cans from Expedition one
and Added a "rack enhancer" to carry a shovel, axe, and highlift

Then at the '08 summit I added a Trail Teams badge and summit badge to my grille (Badges are under there somewhere :shock: )

Then I added an Expedition one bumper. I bought it raw with no hoops. The WyoOtto style had barely come out and I loved it but I wanted thicker hoops so I had a buddy fab them up.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
re: gericurl's

I'll get some pictures and go into more detail on all this other crap.

Cheap 4" Vision X lights in the bumper (the glass already broke in one, looking to replace them with some PIAA 510's)

12,000 lb Viper winch (thanks Stan @ ToyOutfitters)

PIAA 520 Crystal Ion Fogs with modified bumper mount (Thanks Brad/Ricochet)

Ricochet LCA skids (Thanks Brad/Ricochet)
Ricochet Engine Skid (Thanks Brad/Ricochet)
Ricochet Filler Skid (Thanks Brad/Ricochet)

Missile Switch Panel (Thanks Brad/Ricochet)

RAM iPhone mount

General Grabber Red Letters 33"-12.5"-17" (Thanks Discount Tire)

Painted wheels graphite now painted bronze

Demello Hybrid Sliders (Thanks Jason)

Expedition One Removable hitch system (Thanks James & Sarah)

M-Pac rear storage rack (Thanks Doc)

Painted interior trim graphite

Painted Mirrors black

Cobra CB - Firestick - Radioshack PA

Aluminum Brad-ee mount (Thanks Brad/Ricochet)

Rear Unobtanium lower links (Thanks Brad/Ricochet)

Aluminum Air Dam - Under the mud (Thanks Brad/Ricochet)

Camburg 1.25" Uniball Upper A-Arms

Chopped Body mount

Dual Hella Horns (in addition to stock horn)
Wired them both to the secondary horn relay location

Autozone LED dome light (very bright, but doesn't fit as snugly as it could)

K&N Engine air filter

Painted rear trim and wings black

Painted Toyota emblem white

Stripped powder coat and coated bumper, tail light guards and sliders in Por-15.
(My nephew learning to grind)

To come
Blue Sea fuse block (sitting in my garage)
A-10 shifter knob (fabbing connecter now)
Utah Cruisers Badge
A few stickers
Rock lights with Ricochet mounts
Roof lights (not sure what to do here yet)
I'm dreaming about a Long Travel Camburg Suspension (maybe in a few years right?)
Maybe some Bushwackers (you guys that have them make me jealous)
Rear bumper with swingout (I worry about the weight on the door of the bigger tire)
Next tires - maybe go up to 35's ???
New Wheels???
Camera system (at least a backup)
I think I'd like tube doors too?
CO-2 setup.
De-badge and paint "FJ" logo black.

I add stuff slowly but it sure adds up when you list it out like this.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
re: gericurl's "Trail Bomber" Build

well' its o'kay your pacing yourself on the modding your fj. the vehicle is pretty much capable in stock form.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts

REPS For you SIR !... Gtreat Video, and Music !...

Interior Modifications

Jan 5, 2008 - Unpackaged and "installed" my All-weather floor mats (sorry no pics or video. Just not that exciting).

Also I installed the '08 flip down side sun-visors.
Install Video:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts

vids are excellent sometimes its a alot easier viewed then reading or vise versa..

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts

The video works!

I'll keep checking in to see what you're doing next and to watch you do it. Now, if you screw something up will it end up on the cutting room floor or will you allow us to learn from your mistake?:cowsmile:

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I'll post any mistake vids, even if just for a good laugh.

Although I think it would be hard to mess up with all the online support I get here.

As soon as I can afford new tires I will be making my next documentary "Old Man Emu - from down under to down under". (that joke sucked)

(I still owe you a decal by the way. I haven't forgotten)

·
Registered
93 Posts

The door handle install video is awesome, thanks from a fellow FJ owner that appreciates visual instructions.
Exterior/Armor Modifications

Jan 5, 2008
Installed the Tundra CrewMax black door handles. Thanks to NDA431FJ for posting the idea http://http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/41486-experiment-blackout-door-handle-using-tundra-handle-covers.html, and sealevel for the 1-9 written steps to complete this (post #104 in the same thread)
Video:

Installed an OEM roof rack a few weeks ago. I haven't had time to upload/edit the footy. It may never happen, we were in a dark garage and in a hurry so I don't think the vid would be very informative.

Installed OEM tow hitch. (No video. Too cold. No time) This was very easy. Also when I was re-installing the screws with the rubber washers in the top of the bumper fascia (under rear door) I over-torqued and broke the middle one off. I will have to easy-out it and see if I can get another one. I probably don't need it as I plan on a replacement rear bumper in the future, but that won't be for a couple of years unless something big happens money-wise. A big shout out to RuneRider for emailing me the install guide on this one. I looked and looked and couldn't find it.

Rock Rails: I'm liking the Trailgears for the price and the step functionality. I've gotta double check my mustard needs here. :)
I might get ambitious though and fab up my own.

Skids: I need to research my options.

As far as bumpers, for the front:

I love the looks of the Road Armor with the titan guard. What I hate is the price, the weight of the beast, and my local off-road shop says that they've had nothing but nightmares trying to get bumpers from them. I've been looking more seriously at some others. (don't love the pre-runner style, it looks too madmaxx for me). My requirements would be as follows: Better approach angle over stock (duh!). I would like integrated D-rings and fog lights. Winch mount. There is some talk on the bumper comparison thread as to the claims of airbag compatibility from mfgs. If I understand the airbag mechanism correctly it is not the front impact that ignites the airbag, but rather abrupt forward deceleration. Please chime in on this if you know better than I do. I don't see the point of making the safety gear on my truck inoperable, I would no sooner sacrifice my airbags for a front bumper, than I would sacrifice my seat belts for uber-cool heated leather seats with dvd players in the headrests. I don't love weighing my FJ down, but I am adding the Heavy OME lift up front so I am expecting to put some weight up there. I also like the fab fours bumber but the brush guard needs a new look.

For the rear my requirements are as follows: I want a bumper that has d-rings, integrated hitch or OEM hitch access, and accommodates existing rear backup sensors (don't want to waste them). I haven't seen an aftermarket bumper that gives worse angles than stock so that is not a major concern. Any thing else it may have would just be a bonus. (again, I'm not excited by the prerunner tube-style bumpers). Also want to add some Jerry cans next to the spare.

I don't care about finishes, I can powdercoat to my own tastes.
Also I'm sure I could get some D-rings added to most bumpers if it didn't come with them.

There will be a light-rack of some sort (I'm really liking the new lucrum one on Air2air's truck, a little pricey but wow!)
And I'll probably fab up some sort of modular basket/snowboard rack/recovery tool hanger thingy

·
Registered
1,350 Posts

:bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb:Nice...visuals are great for step by step instructions. Props to you!!

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts

nicely done gericurl...

W

·
0 Posts

WOW, that teacher back in the 8th grade was right, I am a visual learner. I wanted to black out my handles for awhile now and after seeing the video I can now pop off the door handles with confidence. :rocker:You rock my friend

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
awesome rig man. i was confused reading how that diet coke exploded, it took me a minute to wrap my mind around the fact that it get that's cold outside in some states. i was born and raised in S. louisiana it just doesnt get cold enough here for that to happen.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts