Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was reading some bonehead things that Mr. Burke did while 4 wheeling in his glory days...and it reminds me of that awesome puddle that I "needed" to drive through. It turned out to be a lot deeper than it looked...that's what happens to coal dirt when it gets wet. It turns into quicksand and you're screwed. Pretty much regardless of your rig, sometimes that black quicksand can capture you pretty quick, and the more you fight, the more you sink. It's a lot of fun!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I sank a scout in my friends front yard once... you should have seen the look on the tow truck driver's face!

"Damn, I didn't think you could sink those things!"

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha, Aren't they the old school Ford Broncos? Pretty awesome trucks. Well, SUV...How did you sink it in a front yard?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
We were backing a trailer into the back yard. Now get this, new rental house, two military drivers. One from an artillery unit and one that drove tracks for the army. Neither of us tested the ground before deciding to put the International to use backing the trailer to the back yard. My buddy opted to have me do it after failing three times to get the trailer into the driveway. So, first try, I back it straight back off the driveway past the house into the backyard. He was pretty impressed. We unload the trailer and then decide to park it back in the driveway. Well, we didn't notice that the ground was soft and that upon parking it to unload the truck had decided to settle in. So, by the time I got back into the driver's seat, it was already threatening to become a permanent lawn fixture. With my heavy foot on the gas, I sank it to the differential front and rear. SCREWED! A neighbor with a huge F250 diesel gave it a shot and couldn't even get it to budge. So, we called the tow company. That tow truck driver couldn't stop laughing long enough to get the cable hooked up. Took about a 10 seconds with a winch. Funny as hell though.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow...you and your gigantic rigs. You like em big don't you? Keep it clean Percy...ya dirty bastard. =P I like mine small and manueverable. =)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just thought of something....funny thing about this 8 month "job"/adventure....does anyone know exactly how good the pay is going to be? I mean....really as long as they feed me I could care less because it will be the experience of a lifetime. Still, I think it's a legitimate question. Don't you?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I bet your perdiem would be more than they pay for the warehouse job. Not to mention the pay. I.e. you could end up with 100-150 in just per diem.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Tone said:
Haha, Aren't they the old school Ford Broncos? Pretty awesome trucks. Well, SUV...How did you sink it in a front yard?
*ahem* Scouts are NOT Ford Broncos. They were totally independant and even came out before the Bronco did. Ford and Chevy actually ripped off the Scout. The confusion comes in much later when Ford bought I-H and provided Ford branded parts for I-H vehicles. But the point is the I-H Scout was a 100% I-H designed SUV. Heck, the 4-cyl engine the original Scouts used was just one of I-H's big truck V8s hacked in half. lol

I-H Scout 80 introduced 1961
Ford Bronco introduced 1966
Chevrolet S-10 Blazer (and variants) 1983

*sigh* I miss my Scout :(

- LC

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lost Cosmonaut said:
*ahem* Scouts are NOT Ford Broncos. They were totally independant and even came out before the Bronco did. Ford and Chevy actually ripped off the Scout. The confusion comes in much later when Ford bought I-H and provided Ford branded parts for I-H vehicles. But the point is the I-H Scout was a 100% I-H designed SUV. Heck, the 4-cyl engine the original Scouts used was just one of I-H's big truck V8s hacked in half. lol

I-H Scout 80 introduced 1961
Ford Bronco introduced 1966
Chevrolet S-10 Blazer (and variants) 1983

*sigh* I miss my Scout :(

- LC

Nice. Thanks for clearin that up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts