Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WAIT !!!
I know everyone wants to be the first on the block with the fj, as well as myself. But if anyone has ever owned a new vehicle, you know that it really isnt 'broken in' till it gets about 9-13k miles on it. Well, the engine that is going to be put into the Fj will easily run for 200,000 miles. So, why not wait a year and get a 2006 when the 2007's come out. I gurantee it will run better than one coming straight off of the factory line. The 06 models will be around 15000 by the time the 07 models hit the street.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
while cheazhd is correct (there is no 06, it is an early 07), i would say bubba has a point, to a certain extent. i think, however, that you will be hard pressed to find a FJC with 15k a year old for less than 20k unless its a base model 2wd with no options, and thats kind of a stretch. toyotas hold their value very well and these are going to be in high demand for the first couple years, so i doubt they will drop that much in price.

I have bought vehicles off of lease before, and it worked out quite well as leasees generally take good care of the vehicles for fear of loosing money when they turn them back in. in this case, however, i will be buying one brand-new or not at all (unless, of course, i just happen to see exactly what i want and have a wad of cash in my pocket at the time) as its going to be hard enough to get what i want from the dealer without special ordering it. that and the break-in period is the most critical time in the life of an engine and if i get an FJC i will be driving it for a very long time so i want to know it was done right.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
really depends on who you ask, generally they say to go easy on it (no full throttle take offs, no driving at constant speed, no driving at really high speeds etc) for the first X miles (depends, i haven bought a new car so i cant say for sure), no hard stops for the first 500 (that goes if you change the brake pads too), different stuff like that. also they usually say to go in for an oil change early for the first one to get any crud out that might be left over from manufacturing/assembly. Check your owners manual, it tells you what the manufacturer recomends, but basically just be nice to it for the first few thousand miles or so.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trainwreck said:
What is the proper way to break in an engine? I've never had a new car before, but this might be the first!

Just doing what the vehicle was made to do ....

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
A lot of you laughed and disagreed with me when I posted this back in early November.... Today is 3/4/06....What are you guys thinking now with all this BS Toyota is pulling!?!?!?!:)

Yes, this was back when I knew very little about the Fj, but I think I was onto something way back when....

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
bubbahotep said:
A lot of you laughed and disagreed with me when I posted this back in early November.... Today is 3/1/06....What are you guys thinking now with all this BS Toyota is pulling!?!?!?!:)

Yes, this was back when I knew very little about the Fj, but I think I was onto something way back when....

I still think you're crazy ;)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Technically your correct. It goes back to the whole point of buying a new vehicle is a poor investment and anyway to reduce it is great. Though if you look for a 2 year old Tacoma their really not that much cheaper then a new one plus you can get better loan terms with purchasing new.

That said the BS factor feels high with the introduction but to some extent it is becouse it is a by product of our own lust. Wait two years to even buy new would reduce that factor a great extent when the morket forces come to play.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Then again there is the flip side to this in that if the FJ sells like there is no tomorrow they may be asking allot more new and be the same used as the introductory offering... its a roll of the dice either way

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Roosterdo said:
Technically your correct. It goes back to the whole point of buying a new vehicle is a poor investment and anyway to reduce it is great. Though if you look for a 2 Tacoma their really not that much cheaper then a new one plus you can get better loan terms with purchasing new.

That said the BS factor feels high with the introduction but to some extent it is becouse it is a by product of our own lust. Wait two years to even buy new would reduce that factor a great extent when the morket forces come to play.
yup. a used taco is really not much of a better deal than the new. looked into that at length and said - **** it, just buy new - i get a better rate on a new vehicle through my CU.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The ones that have the highest resale are the ones with the Baldy TMOG autograph.

:cool:

Oh yeah, its true, its true... I saw it on the internet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
buying used can be smart financially, but there is something to be said for being the first person to fart on the seat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey- I just found out today that my dealer- who promised MSRP has officially sold out. His dealership is now telling me that they are going to sell it for 1-2K over MSRP. I have waited for nearly 6months. This is for two FJ's my pops was second on the list. I just turned 28 - yesterday- not the greatest news- I am now looking at something else. Over 30K for an FJ with only UP 1-just not worth it!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
lionrampant said:
Hey- I just found out today that my dealer- who promised MSRP has officially sold out. His dealership is now telling me that they are going to sell it for 1-2K over MSRP. I have waited for nearly 6months. This is for two FJ's my pops was second on the list. I just turned 28 - yesterday- not the greatest news- I am now looking at something else. Over 30K for an FJ with only UP 1-just not worth it!
and all the harrassment from dealers on this site about placing more then one deposit. ugh

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
mike100 said:
buying used can be smart financially, but there is something to be said for being the first person to fart on the seat.
just dont let any squirt out. you'll have a tough time explaining that stain.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I may jump on the Xterra band wagon- 3% financing- will come off the sticker- it sucks to have to do this- but I need a new vehicle and I have put it off for this- when I guy told me MSRP---I would love some advice as a possible alternative.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts