Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I have a 2013 black FJ and a wife that agrees it needs a roof top tent. I am looking at bolting up the 51" flat Bajarack along with a James Baroud Evasion Evo tent. From reviews I've read, it seems like a solid way to go.

I live in Minnesota, states away from any dealer or distributor. I was thinking about having the rack shipped to me and then head out to Denver to buy the tent at Slee in Boulder and essentially install it in the parking lot... I'd also take a couple extra days to start using the thing. A couple of questions:

-Do you guys know anyone at Slee?
-Any chance someone has a discount/coupon for Bajarack, OK4wd, or another rack distributor?

Much appreciated!
John

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,581 Posts
For discounts, check the Group buy section

Reactions: bondatomic

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
I have a RTT and like your plan. I can't answer a single question you asked, but I had to say it. Do it, discounts or not. I bought a CVS RTT and Bobby (CVS sales rep) said that the Baja Rack was perfect for their tent.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Ok4wd issues a 5% for signup with Email, free ship, no tax, price match. I have spent $10k with them in 2016. All good experience. I recommend OK$WD for saving a few bucks. Details on sign up escape me but it's there to be had.

Exceptions to the tent you want and other products too but the rack should be okay. The Baja rack is medium duty but good for a tent. The tent you selected is compact living space and pricey but well liked and good on the road. Others are bigger and much cheaper. If you get stuck in rain or snow the fold out type have more head room and are better to hang in. You won't regret a RTT purchase.

Slee was up the road from me when I lived near Morrison by Red Rocks Park. They were a smaller shop and I had good experience with them. 10 years ago at this point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the support guys. Since posting I've went into option paralysis for racks. I am looking at the Bajarack, Front Runner, and Warrior flat racks. I have about 6" clearance to my garage so I am looking at the flat utility versions.

I need to get into a tent to know if I want something more like the Space. Not a lot of roof top tents I've seen in Minnesota.

Discovery Space

Thanks again
John

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,581 Posts
I debated for a long time but ultimately I went with the low profile Warrior Platform flatrack.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I have not decided on which RTT to buy, but for a rack I went with the Rhino Pioneer Platform. It was easy to install and is rated for an 800 pound load. I am pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Have you looked at Denver Outfitters for RTT? They have 2 models and are priced very well. They are in Lakewood, CO. I found them when I was searching for a rod vault for my FJ. Their tents already come with rack on top that allows for addition of rod vault, bikes, etc. I am seriously considering one of their RTTs but need to keep researching as I think I might want the fold out for more space. Researching both rack and RTT at same time brought on paralysis by analysis so I have had to let it go for a bit.
Anyhow, just another option. Good luck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sorry for additional post. I meant to include Pure FJ Cruisers has some racks on sale right now. The Baja platform and others.....they have a large selection so easy to see all on one site.
Also, not sure if you have searched the forum but there is a great thread on roof racks with a lot of good feedback from people who have purchased for FJs. I have been able to eliminate some choices based on that feedback and reviews from forum members.
Seems like lower platform rack is way to go if you also want to be able to fit in your garage with the RTT mounted.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The Prinsu rack is perfect for a RTT. Very strong, and is over 7 feet long of flat area. I have the CVT Mt Hood, and not impressed. It is very expensive for what you get. If I had it to do again, I'd by the Smittybilt and save some cash.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Ah yes, the rooftop tent. Nothing like climbing down a ladder at 2 in the morning to take a pee.

Or the big mpg hit. Or the $$$ they cost. Or putting all that weight in the worst possible location.

Are you gathering that I'm not a fan? Nope, not so much.

Okay, I'll be quiet now. Carry on.

·
Desert Moderator
7,485 Posts
Ah yes, the rooftop tent. Nothing like climbing down a ladder at 2 in the morning to take a pee.

Or the big mpg hit. Or the $$$ they cost. Or putting all that weight in the worst possible location.

Are you gathering that I'm not a fan? Nope, not so much.

Okay, I'll be quiet now. Carry on.
Yeah, but because they're off the ground, they'll keep you safe from dangerous critters like mountain lions & bears...
I don't have an RTT either, because I like finding scorpions & camel spiders under the tent when I pack it up :eek:

·
Registered
147 Posts
The Prinsu rack is perfect for a RTT. Very strong, and is over 7 feet long of flat area. I have the CVT Mt Hood, and not impressed. It is very expensive for what you get. If I had it to do again, I'd by the Smittybilt and save some cash.
I looked at the CVT line while at the Summit last year and thought they were pretty nice. Would you mind sharing why you're not impressed with the Mt. Hood?

Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Reactions: algonaman

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
One of the main reasons that I bought my FJ was for camping. It has been the perfect vehicle to take us to any campsite across the country. Over the past nine years, all of the modifications that I have made to my FJ, have been with camping in mind. The switch to a Roof Top Tent has been the best mods. If you do a lot of camping, then the investment is well worth it. The many advantages far out weigh the issue of peeing in the night. We are planning a cross country trip for six weeks this summer to the west coast. It is hard to imagine taking that journey without a RTT. I highly recommend both the Baja Utility Rack and Autohome RTTs.. More importantly, I just recommend going camping with the FJ any way that you can. From glamping to overlanding, the FJ, will get you there and back. It is a great way to explore America.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
@tomwill55: That is the very reason I got my FJ as well, and why I outfitted it the same. Love my Maggiolina.
Nice looking ride, I really like your FJ color with the tent.It is hard to beat he combination of the Baja Utility Rack and the Maggiolina Roof Top Tent with the FJ. It really works both from a functional standpoint and also in terms of aesthetics. Pictures do not do justice to how well all three parts work together as a total unit. There is something very liberating, about pulling up anywhere to camp.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts