Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
It also makes a convenient launch vehicle for other adventures. I can pull into a site many hours away from home, set up in minutes and get a good night's rest for the next morning biking or surfing.

I am always evolving the FJ and am currently welding together a cargo platform for the back.

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yeah, but because they're off the ground, they'll keep you safe from dangerous critters like mountain lions & bears...
I don't have an RTT either, because I like finding scorpions & camel spiders under the tent when I pack it up :eek:

I've been thinking about a new roof rack and a RTT for some time... but the final cost of nearly 5K for a rack and RTT has kept me from pulling the trigger. I like to use my backpacking tent or portable hammock.

Encountering Mountain Lions or bears doesn't really bother me as I am always armed when in the woods, (but the thought of running across my ex-wife scares the shot out of me.....)

·
Registered
105 Posts
View attachment 819001

Just got back from Big Bend and used my RTT for the first time. It worked great and probably the best $700 I've ever spent on camping gear. You won't regret it and will be inventing reasons to make a trip :grin
What brand did you go with? It looks like you still have factory rack mounted. What did you have to add to be able to provide stability for the tent?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Voodoo....got a Smittybilt on sale. I have the factory roof rack and it worked fine, just had to go to Lowes and get 8 bolts an 1" longer than those supplied by the manufacturer. No reinforcing necessary. Didn't budge at all on the 2000 mile trip with about 400 miles offroad on some pretty rough trails. We were well pleased at how the RTT performed. No regrets.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The hard top tents, I have personal experience with Maggiolina, don't drop your MPG much. I lost ~1 mpg. The fabric folding types I have heard people loosing 2-3. Its a great addition for camping around you don't have to keep any of your tent/sleeping supplies in the vehicle and you can even store some clothes up there if it is a weekend trip.

I personally like the idea of trailering the tent. We tend to go to offroad parks so it is nice to have everything on the trailer and then drop it off as a base camp.

For your issue on which roof rack to get, I didn't see where you locked one down but I went with warrior because at the time it was low, high capacity and the cheapest. I have had it on for nearly 3 years now and I have had a bit of powder coat chipping but I have used the roof rack like a truck bed putting everything up there from beds, treadmills and sheet steel.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,758 Posts
View attachment 819001

Just got back from Big Bend and used my RTT for the first time. It worked great and probably the best $700 I've ever spent on camping gear. You won't regret it and will be inventing reasons to make a trip :grin
Looks great, and I'm interested in mounting on OE roofrack as well. Would love to see pix of your mounts up close, and with the tent collapsed. Thx!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I built a roof rack myself for under $100 to the spec's I wanted. Low profile a touch longer and wider than ones on the market and then bought a Tepui Kukenam sky to put on top. I was never one for camping outside of a camper but I'm so glad I spent the money. Some of the best fun I've had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,758 Posts
I built a roof rack myself for under $100 to the spec's I wanted. Low profile a touch longer and wider than ones on the market and then bought a Tepui Kukenam sky to put on top. I was never one for camping outside of a camper but I'm so glad I spent the money. Some of the best fun I've had.

Nice setup - both your RTT and your J! Where did you get the hood and side view mirror decals? Also like the double Baha Designs on the cowls - you just put and extension on the mount? And are the lights different patterns (guessing one is spot, one is wide cornering)? You just gave me all kinds of ides!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the Warrior Products Rack with a Tepui Autana tent. Rack and tent work out great! I've never regretted the RTT.

I just need to figure out a way to make a quick connect system for the RTT.

I'd upload a pic but it's loading it upside down?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The hard top tents, I have personal experience with Maggiolina, don't drop your MPG much. I lost ~1 mpg. The fabric folding types I have heard people loosing 2-3. Its a great addition for camping around you don't have to keep any of your tent/sleeping supplies in the vehicle and you can even store some clothes up there if it is a weekend trip.

I personally like the idea of trailering the tent. We tend to go to offroad parks so it is nice to have everything on the trailer and then drop it off as a base camp.

For your issue on which roof rack to get, I didn't see where you locked one down but I went with warrior because at the time it was low, high capacity and the cheapest. I have had it on for nearly 3 years now and I have had a bit of powder coat chipping but I have used the roof rack like a truck bed putting everything up there from beds, treadmills and sheet steel.

Looks awesome. Any chance you know how much that rack added to the max height of your FJ? I am pretty limited on garage door height.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nice setup - both your RTT and your J! Where did you get the hood and side view mirror decals? Also like the double Baha Designs on the cowls - you just put and extension on the mount? And are the lights different patterns (guessing one is spot, one is wide cornering)? You just gave me all kinds of ides!!!

Sorry I was MIA for a few days. My hood decal came in one sheet from Metrorestyling (I've only ordered my vinyl from those guys) so since it was one sheet I cut it to what I wanted and used the extra to do the mirrors (made a template and just transferred it).
The lights on the cowl were all the same spot lens and output was crazy. The top picture in the dark is the more recent setup.
Anyway the lights we're just connected with a piece of flat stock the only thing to keep in mind is that you'll need to make an extension for the antenna. Any questions don't be afraid to PM me, I'm glad that my little ideas have sparked ones of your own.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,758 Posts
Sorry I was MIA for a few days. My hood decal came in one sheet from Metrorestyling (I've only ordered my vinyl from those guys) so since it was one sheet I cut it to what I wanted and used the extra to do the mirrors (made a template and just transferred it).
The lights on the cowl were all the same spot lens and output was crazy. The top picture in the dark is the more recent setup.
Anyway the lights we're just connected with a piece of flat stock the only thing to keep in mind is that you'll need to make an extension for the antenna. Any questions don't be afraid to PM me, I'm glad that my little ideas have sparked ones of your own.

More thread hacking...
Now I'm curious about your cowl lights - how did you manage Amber on lower row, clear on top, and not compromise water tightness? Looks awesome :rocker:

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
More thread hacking...

Now I'm curious about your cowl lights - how did you manage Amber on lower row, clear on top, and not compromise water tightness? Looks awesome :rocker:

Hahaha the cowl lights at Baja Designs squadron sports. BD allows you to remove and swap the lenses out so I just popped the cover off and applied yellow laminx to the bottom half of each lense, then put them back together.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,758 Posts
Hahaha the cowl lights at Baja Designs squadron sports. BD allows you to remove and swap the lenses out so I just popped the cover off and applied yellow laminx to the bottom half of each lense, then put them back together.

Yes I have "quite a few" BD lights and love them, so was immediately interested in how you got the half n half look...very clever idea! Only concern I had was maintaining their watertight seal. No problems with condensation after applying the half panel laminix? Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I ran a baha flat rack and a tupui rtt. After a couple of years, I found a couple of draw backs to this setup.
One was the 2-3mpg hit and the big one to me is if you want to go wheeling during the day, you have to fold things up.
So I am back to using my ground tent which allows me to keep camp setup.
I am thinking of buying a turbo tent which pops up about as quick as an rtt.
Don't get me wrong, the rtt was nice but at 67 I really disliked the ladder thing.

·
Registered
327 Posts
@USA4X4 Just want to make sure I get the correct Baja Rack when the time comes.
I saw on their site there were a few different ones that looks like it could be used for RTT's.
Which one did you get and why? Thanks!

·
Registered
854 Posts
I ordered a Tepui White Lightning while they were first offered on Kickstarter. Lowest profile hard shell available. My plan was to mount it to my Prinsu rack, but like USA4x4 above, I am getting older and have an old hip injury so the roof thing is not looking the best option for me. Think I'll be going the trailer route so that it's a little lower to ground and I can throw crap in underneath. My plans grow and get more expensive. Looking for one of those light M100 aluminum military trailers ideally. Just thinking out loud.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts