Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
I will say the baja flat rack is awsome!! 2 years in and works great. Id also add that i bought a CVT mt bachelor... and am thoroughly disappointed. Constant issues with condensation under the mat, CVT didnt offer any correction or help. Only used the tent 6 times bc of this issue, am lijely going to sell this spring and look at other brands.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
So, my version of the roof top tent is a cot tent.
I ratchet strap it to the roof rack while on the road or trail, then take it down and set it up. It keeps the little critters out and it's a 5 min set up and take down.

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
@USA4X4 Just want to make sure I get the correct Baja Rack when the time comes.
I saw on their site there were a few different ones that looks like it could be used for RTT's.
Which one did you get and why? Thanks!
I have the flat utility rack. My reasoning was that it would allow for the closest fit to the roof and when the rtt was off made a great rack for hauling things like lumber.

I don't remember if I got the larger one or not(don't think I did), I sized to fit the rtt. However, it is a pain to get the nuts on and off (the ones that hold the rtt) cause it is real close fit where the rack come close to the roof.
A couple closed end rachet wrenches really help to speed up the mounting and un-mounting of the rtt.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Algonoman

Same situation. I need my RTT lower as I will be 65 in a couple of months, and it gets harder to climb up. Plus I'd like the option to set up base camp. Found this last week. https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/654102/654102355003.jpg On sale for $399. I'll be mounting my RTT to this permanently. Seemed to be an inexpensive option which turns my RTT to a mini-popup.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I will say the baja flat rack is awsome!! 2 years in and works great. Id also add that i bought a CVT mt bachelor... and am thoroughly disappointed. Constant issues with condensation under the mat, CVT didnt offer any correction or help. Only used the tent 6 times bc of this issue, am lijely going to sell this spring and look at other brands.
You need to talk to Bobby....there is an anti-condensation mat available for the CVT RTTs.

https://cascadiatents.com/shop/anti-condensation-mat/

·
Registered
273 Posts
I know this is an old thread but...

Ive run a RTT all summer long and this is what i learned.

i bought it at REI. 20% off coupon and free shipping to the store. They stock tepui and i got the 4 seasons. Worth the extra money and i saved a boat load on shipping + discount.

Sleeping in the dirt sucks, and you can fold up all your bedding inside the tent. more space in the inside for other stuff. No bugs, My wife likes being up and way from the critters..skip the sleeping bags and get yourself some sheets and down comforter.

When your getting in, you climb up the ladder and you sit on the edge and take your dirty boots off. no shoes in the tent = no dirty tent. hang them from front by the door with a caribeaner. then they dry out also.

I run it on the OEM roof rack and its tall...i thought for sure i would tear a hole in the cover but havent yet. i ram it thought the trees and havent (knock on wood) screwed anything up yet. The plan was to just return it to REI for a refund if i fowled it up and decided it wasnt going to work. LOL! I dont know that the smittybuilt ones would hold up. Can you return that one to Amazon? lol

As far as having that weight up high i deffinatly can feel it. but i was at the sand dunes and ive done some pretty off camber leans. I also still have my factory sway bars. I feel the teeter but havent had any close calls or found myself in any situations that i was leaning into a tree/rock that i couldnt avoid and taken body damage/tent damage. Ive done some stuff. I also ask for spotters on stuff.

Packing up when you need to go somewhere hasnt been an issue for me. I usually wait until right before night to set up or when we have determined that we are staying in one place. Alot of the trail rides i go on are in and out over nighters or you camp somewhere for the night and move on. I dont use established campsites or return to the same place twice to the packing up to move hasnt really been an issue and after a couple of times it takes like 10 minutes to repack.

Zip ties keep the straps tight because the velcro will fail in 40mph+ headwinds no matter what. Windy sections of highway here. easily removed and its something you should have with you already

Buy the silicone zipper lube that stuff works wonders on dirty and warn zippers. but dont use wd40. buy the right stuff they will be like new.

Broken tie downs made of rubber/plastic are better replaced with 550 paracord and clever knots

When setting up in the wind put your pack on the side that flips out...otherwise the wind can blow hard enough to close it up on itself. Trust me i know i slept in what was probaly 30mph + winds and it was interesting. Definatly needed ear plugs for that night. and whiskey

When these things get rained on its not the end of the world. Jsut let it air out if you can when you get home. be sure to get ALL the snow out of it. Ask me how i know.

Hanging thermal balnkets from the ceiling can help reflect the heat, only had to do that once.

MPG? are you seriously worried about that in the FJ?? lol

·
Registered
197 Posts
Folks,

I have a 2013 black FJ and a wife that agrees it needs a roof top tent. I am looking at bolting up the 51" flat Bajarack along with a James Baroud Evasion Evo tent. From reviews I've read, it seems like a solid way to go.

I live in Minnesota, states away from any dealer or distributor. I was thinking about having the rack shipped to me and then head out to Denver to buy the tent at Slee in Boulder and essentially install it in the parking lot... I'd also take a couple extra days to start using the thing. A couple of questions:

-Do you guys know anyone at Slee?
-Any chance someone has a discount/coupon for Bajarack, OK4wd, or another rack distributor?

Much appreciated!
John

Bondatomic, did you ever get your set up??? I live in just across the river from Stillwater, MN and my wife and I are getting a new rack and RTT. I am looking at the 51" Baja Flat Rack and the CVT Mt. Denali Summit Extended tent. I know it is a huge tent but with the wife, the kid, the "future" kid/kids, and myself we want to buy one and be done. If you got your set up I would love to meet up and see what you got.

On the other hand if you are still debating, I found a deal on the Baja racks. Message me asap and I can give you the details.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Which of these tents are best for damp climates?

I see a lot of them used in dry places, but any time I set a tent up it's going to rain, no matter what the weatherman says.

So, I need something that I can stay dry in when it's raining. I'm getting tired of sleeping on the ground, but not ready for a full on RV yet.

I really like the Alu Cab, but not sure if it's available in the US yet.

This tent may end up mounted on a small trailer, as I don't know if I want the tent living on top of the truck all of the time.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
A hard-shell tent with vents that provide air flow through the shell when driving sounds like what you need. I cannot recommend a specific model, but I know I've seen them with this feature.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I don't really have a budget for this.
I won't play that way, because then I'll cheap out and buy something I'm unhappy with.

I'd rather find what I want, and wait until I can save the money to get it.
These caught my eye, a small would work.
Maggiolina Carbon Fiber | Autohome US

But yea, they are a pile of money.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Which of these tents are best for damp climates?

I see a lot of them used in dry places, but any time I set a tent up it's going to rain, no matter what the weatherman says.

So, I need something that I can stay dry in when it's raining. I'm getting tired of sleeping on the ground, but not ready for a full on RV yet.

I really like the Alu Cab, but not sure if it's available in the US yet.

This tent may end up mounted on a small trailer, as I don't know if I want the tent living on top of the truck all of the time.
I can vouch for the Alu-Cab tent as that's what we run here in CO. It's 100% available in the US and can be purchased at least here in Denver at a shop called Juniper Overland.

We slept in the tent at my wife's parents house over the holidays this December (due to sick family members) and it dumped some wet snow. We had zero issues with condensation, leakage or weight on top of the shell. Even the window annex overhang stood up to the weight of the snow without an issue. Out here in CO this tent sees some wicked mountain wind when we are at elevation and it's no problem.

Tons more pics on my build page if interested.

John

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
I don't really have a budget for this.
I won't play that way, because then I'll cheap out and buy something I'm unhappy with.

I'd rather find what I want, and wait until I can save the money to get it.
These caught my eye, a small would work.
Maggiolina Carbon Fiber | Autohome US

But yea, they are a pile of money.
Pass on the carbon fiber, sun exposure will kill the finish and it'll be a dull nasty finish within 2 years unless you're up there waxing it bi-weekly. That's how every carbon fiber hood/trunk/fenders/whatever have ended up that I've seen within 1 to 2 years. Fiberglass shell does't weigh that much more and will be more durable in the long run.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I wondered how the CF would stand up to the elements. That saves me a lot of money to find out for myself.

Good to know about the Alu Cab and that it's available in the US.
That moves it much higher on the list. Those big tents that take up as much room as a one car garage look like too much to deal with.
Nice tent, big enough for 2 and an awning will keep me happy.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Pass on the carbon fiber, sun exposure will kill the finish and it'll be a dull nasty finish within 2 years unless you're up there waxing it bi-weekly. That's how every carbon fiber hood/trunk/fenders/whatever have ended up that I've seen within 1 to 2 years. Fiberglass shell does't weigh that much more and will be more durable in the long run.
Actually properly primed and painted carbon will hold up as well as traditional fiberglass in the elements. What has given carbon a bad name the often clear-coated automotive parts(for looks rather than longevity) which gave little to no UV protection to the fiber resin long term. Also some of the resins and clears being used lately have made significant advances in longevity under UV exposure. :cheers:

41 - 58 of 58 Posts