Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,
this is my first post in this forum, but I already read quite a few posts, and love amazing community!
Just wanted to share my excitement, and maybe ask for an advice.
Getting the car delivered in 5 days.
it's 2013 FJ cruiser with 55k miles.
I'm am gonna have 7 days to decide if I am gonna keep the vehicle or not. Besides looking underneath the body for rust and hinges on a back door, I don't really know what else to check.
I am thinking to take it to the mechanic and ask them to inspect it well and lift it and show me / walk me through. But most of my experience with mechanics was bad.
Maybe someone would suggest anything specific I can ask mechanic to determine car's condition.

I appreciate any ideas, or even links to other posts.
Cheers 馃

Premium Member
Here is a great thread to guide you through each step of the way:

Welcome to the club!

Registered
2010TT AT
Hi vitonol, welcome from Ohio!

I would take it your local Toyota dealership for a Pre-Purchase Inspection. The dealership is likely to be the most familar with FJs and what needs to be serviced. Remember you don't have to have them service any of items they identify, any trustworthy shop can do that. The PPI is one of the times I would go to a dealership first.

Good luck and post some pics!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a great thread to guide you through each step of the way:

Welcome to the club!

Oh thanks, that was a great read!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi vitonol, welcome from Ohio!

I would take it your local Toyota dealership for a Pre-Purchase Inspection. The dealership is likely to be the most familar with FJs and what needs to be serviced. Remember you don't have to have them service any of items they identify, any trustworthy shop can do that. The PPI is one of the times I would go to a dealership first.

Good luck and post some pics!
Thought of doing it, probably the best advice.
It's more like a post purchase inspection, haha but as I said, with carvana I'll have 7 days to change my mind for whatever reason.
Oh, and looks like my truck is being shipped from Ohio 馃榿

Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser
Hello Vitonol, welcome to the FJ family. I understand you have 7 days to change your mind. Keep in mind that FJ Cruisers are hard to find, at least in Miami, Florida. I'm an original owner of a 2008 FJ Cruiser and I can't tell you how many times I've had letters and phone calls from dealers offering to buy my FJ. I recently received a phone call from a coworker offering to buy my FJ because he has been having a hard time finding one at an affordable price; of course I turned down all the offers.

I purchased my FJ in 2008 and about two years later I was getting offers. I realized then I have a gem so I decided to keep my FJ for life. I purchased it for $27,000 at the time and I have done some upgrades to it and I've been told I can sell it for more than my purchase. As for compliments, I've received more than my offers. They are great vehicles that hold their value and are worth keeping. The pic below is my toy and I hope it inspires you to keep your FJ.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive side marker light

Reactions: Kaiju

Registered
Welcome from Vancouver, Canada!

Reactions: vitonol

Registered
2010TT AT
FLASHOVER said:
MONEY DOESN'T BUY HAPPINESS, BUT IT DOES BUY AN FJ.
AND I AIN'T EVER SEEN A SAD PERSON IN A FJ.
and that's the truth 馃槉

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Vitonol, welcome to the FJ family. I understand you have 7 days to change your mind. Keep in mind that FJ Cruisers are hard to find, at least in Miami, Florida. I'm an original owner of a 2008 FJ Cruiser and I can't tell you how many times I've had letters and phone calls from dealers offering to buy my FJ. I recently received a phone call from a coworker offering to buy my FJ because he has been having a hard time finding one at an affordable price; of course I turned down all the offers.

I purchased my FJ in 2008 and about two years later I was getting offers. I realized then I have a gem so I decided to keep my FJ for life. I purchased it for $27,000 at the time and I have done some upgrades to it and I've been told I can sell it for more than my purchase. As for compliments, I've received more than my offers. They are great vehicles that hold their value and are worth keeping. The pic below is my toy and I hope it inspires you to keep your FJ.

View attachment 1174733
Awww,
Thank you for words of encouragement! I appreciate it.
And omg your tank looks incredible! Love the light bar on top!
Yeah, the only reason I would change my mind if there is some serious rust or crazy expensive repair down the road. Just made an appointment with local Toyota service for "pre purchase inspection". 馃

The only doubt I have is a gas..
Although I am currently driving 3.5 V6 (Honda Crosstour) and mpg rarely hits 20 (I don't bother to make calculations anymore). So it's not great on gas already, yet I am getting a car that's even worse when it comes to 鉀 :/
But, if consider resale value and subtract gas cost over years owned, perhaps FJ wins.

I am really excited and probably will keep the car, the thing is my daily commute to work is 20 miles one way.. gosh I need a new job 馃槶

Premium Member
"my daily commute to work is 20 miles one way" - sounds like you need an aux tank as one of your first mods

It won't save you any money, but at least you'll be able to pass a gas station once in a while (the stock tank is TINY).

Registered

View attachment 1174733
What's the front of the hood and grill painted with? That looks very good. It looks like the top is painted the same way. (y)

Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser
What's the front of the hood and grill painted with? That looks very good. It looks like the top is painted the same way. (y)
Sorry for my delay response. It's wrapped, no paint.
Sorry for my delay response. It's not painted, it's wrapped. The good thing about wrapping is that it protects your original paint and you can remove it, if you wish. It's a little expensive but cheaper than a good quality paint job. It depends what you like.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for my delay response. It's wrapped, no paint.

Sorry for my delay response. It's not painted, it's wrapped. The good thing about wrapping is that it protects your original paint and you can remove it, if you wish. It's a little expensive but cheaper than a good quality paint job. It depends what you like.

Do you have to change color on the registration, if the whole car is wrapped and it's a different color?

Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser
Do you have to change color on the registration, if the whole car is wrapped and it's a different color?
That depends on your local authorities. In Miami, FL. we are not required to make a change unless the car is painted. Wrapping can be easily removed so no need to make changes to the vehicle's registration.

Premium Member
Congrats! So.....have you decided to keep it yet? ;)

Premium Member
Hell yeah I am keeping it! 馃槑
Took it to Toyota service.. the only thing they told me - compass needed calibration 馃槄
Great decision & congratulations again!!!

Registered
2010TT AT
Hell yeah I am keeping it! 馃槑
Took it to Toyota service.. the only thing they told me - compass needed calibration 馃槄
That's great news! Have a lot of fun with your FJ 馃榿

1 - 20 of 23 Posts