Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a gently used FJ cruiser with 25,000 miles on the original tires, let's say about half tread left. They never rotated in the spare and I am looking to go with more aggressive tires when they are worn. What are the odds of me being able to rotate the new tire into the rear and start getting it worn without severly impacting the ride or handling? Any advice for this noob? I am not a big fan of relying on old rubber when I need a spare. Thanks! Peter

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think that getting my tire into rotationj now with full tread when the others are about half warn is going to pose problems?

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Do you think that getting my tire into rotationj now with full tread when the others are about half warn is going to pose problems?
Rather than going by "about half", I'd invest a few bucks on a gauge, so you can make a good decision.

Something like this

or this

I've read in a few places that 2/32 or 3/32 are the limit on the difference which is acceptable.

If you are too far off from that, you can call around to your local tire places. Many of them used to "shave" down larger tires. Quite a few have stopped doing this in favor of trying to sell people a pair, but a few calls may get you a favorable answer.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
I very much doubt that it is an issue and I will tell you why with a few examples:
1) If you have a half-worn flat tire and replaced it with a full size spare without giving it any thought (or posting it on a forum), you would probably not give it a second thought and it would not be an issue (I've done this more than once).
2) Most folks in this country don't seem to know how to check their air pressures and they are running tires of mutiple overall diamaters because of this. How often do you see people on the side of the road with axle problems ? Uh, pretty much never.
3) Even if you are driving with axles locked on pavement, which obviously is a no-no, that minute difference in distance travelled per rotation would probably not be noticeable . . . that is until you make a turn. :lol: For a non-locked vehicle, it isn't an issue.

·
Premium Member
13,483 Posts
Just to add to what the Woodsman has siad:

You have a differntial which allows your tires to turn at different speeds - this happens everytime you turn a corner. The outside wheel is traveling much faster than the inside wheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts