Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 FJ standard head unit.

Let me start by saying, nothing is wrong with my phone.. why?
Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Nexus4 (2 of those) all have the same problem.

Furthermore, NONE of them have this problem with ANY other bluetooth device.. I realize no matter how many times I repeat that somebody is going to blame the phone... but I digress.

The issue.. Any streaming app, IheartRadio, Pandora...

Phone ALWAYS connects via bluetooth just fine.. and hands free phone stuff always works..

The problem is music.. I switch to BT audio and sometimes it plays... sometimes it doesn't... the phone IS connected and the app IS playing.. but the headset just flashes PAUSE.. if I shut the car off, and start it again (thus disconnecting the phone and reconnecting the phone) sometimes it will start working.. sometimes it won't..

IF it is working, and a phone call comes in, after the phone call sometimes the music will restart.. sometimes it won't..

Basically bluetooth audio plays... whenever the car decides it wants it to, I seem to only be able to "suggest" it play.. never make it play..

mind you, I've been dealing with this for going on 2 GODDAMN YEARS and if you can name the solution (on the phone side) I've tried it.

Ive gone through multiple devices, and multiple programs on said devices, and basically I'm just really sick of this ****.

Currently Im using a galaxy S4, and Iheartradio... which synces perfectly to my $300 home stereo, perfectly to my $600 bluetooth equipped motorcycle helmet... but won't work with my $35,000 FJ How pathetic is that?

The problem is on the head unit side, so with the exception of buying an aftermarket head unit (this option is not on the table) has anybody found a fix that actually consistently worked?

P.S.
I realize im not the only person facing this issue, a quick google search turns my multiple threads on various forums for the exact same issue, but no real answer.. some people seem to get sidetracked and are trying to troubleshoot it as a phone or phone app problem.. logic dictates however that if the phone works fine with every other device except one.. the fault/incompatibility is with the one failing device, not the phone.

·
Registered
586 Posts
My Bluetooth works fine with phone and music. However, I am playing music from an I pod that is separate from phone. When a call comes in, the music deadens and when answered, it pauses. When I hang up, the music resumes playing.

The only issue I have, is when I pull into my garage and the home Bluetooth receiver for my stereo is on, the I pod automatically switches to that one and the FJ sound quits. I know that is a problem with the I pod as it does it in my daily driver also.

2012 Iceberg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:cheers:
My Bluetooth works fine with phone and music. However, I am playing music from an I pod that is separate from phone. When a call comes in, the music deadens and when answered, it pauses. When I hang up, the music resumes playing.

The only issue I have, is when I pull into my garage and the home Bluetooth receiver for my stereo is on, the I pod automatically switches to that one and the FJ sound quits. I know that is a problem with the I pod as it does it in my daily driver also.

2012 Iceberg
Are you streaming through an app like Pandora or similar, or are you just using a media player?

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I also have an issue with streaming music via bluetooth in my FJ. I'm currently using a Nexus 5 and some days I'll get in the truck and I receive the message "BT Audio Device not found". The only way I can get the devices to communicate is to turn the truck off and back on then it'll connect. It's rather annoying but I don't mind going to an aftermarket headunit. It's not a cheap fix unfortunately.

Have you checked with the dealership to see if there are any updates for the radio?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also have an issue with streaming music via bluetooth in my FJ. I'm currently using a Nexus 5 and some days I'll get in the truck and I receive the message "BT Audio Device not found". The only way I can get the devices to communicate is to turn the truck off and back on then it'll connect. It's rather annoying but I don't mind going to an aftermarket headunit. It's not a cheap fix unfortunately.

Have you checked with the dealership to see if there are any updates for the radio?
Was kinda thinking the same, wondering if there was like a software update you could burn to a CD and update the system with it or something.

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
Android issue?

I have an iPhone and I have none of that trouble. In fact if I see PAUSE on the display, for whatever reason, I just hit the PLAY button (bottom right I think) on the deck and it carries on where it was, whether it be a streaming app (I Heart Radio) or iTunes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Android issue?

I have an iPhone and I have none of that trouble. In fact if I see PAUSE on the display, for whatever reason, I just hit the PLAY button (bottom right I think) on the deck and it carries on where it was, whether it be a streaming app (I Heart Radio) or iTunes.
Possibly, still on Toyota's end.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a daily driver 2012 and an iPhone 4. I've had the random "pause" come up maybe four times and cleared by pressing play as lqdchkn mentioned. But I have also had a few times when I got "BT Audio Device not found" when I try to start up playing music stored on the phone. Twice rebooting the phone cleared it, once that didn't work and I had to restart the truck. It's been a low enough level problem that it hasn't bothered me much. I haven't seen any pattern in when it occurs. I haven't had any problem with the transition from a phone call back to music.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Android issue?
I have a spare iPhone 5S somewhere in the house that i could try but the last time I switched back to that phone, Apple's iMessage screwed up my text messages and took a few days before I'd start to receive messages from other iPhone users; had to call Apple to remove the serial # from their iMessage system. :(

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
I have a spare iPhone 5S somewhere in the house that i could try but the last time I switched back to that phone, Apple's iMessage screwed up my text messages and took a few days before I'd start to receive messages from other iPhone users; had to call Apple to remove the serial # from their iMessage system. :(
iMessage had issues registering by phone number (I think, because I had it too on IOS 7 and I don't register iMessage by Apple ID) with iOS 7. That issue was resolved with a later minor update but either way your iPhone should be on 7.1 now, so you shouldn't have that issue anymore.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have been having the exact same freakin issue in my 2011! I previously had an iphone 4 and now have an iphone 5. Randomly while driving the phone will just become disconnected, usually after the end of a phone call or switching between audio apps (ex. pandora to itunes) but it is very inconsistent. The bluetooth icon in the top right will disappear and it will say "BT Audio Device not found" on the screen. From my experience, restarting the phone or turning of the head unit does not help. The only way I have gotten it to reconnect is by turning the truck off and restarting it. I have not checked with my local dealer to see if there was any software update but will have to check next time I go in.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have also had nothing but trouble with the Bluetooth in my 2013 FJ. I have given up.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it pauses. I have tried an Iphone 5, a Nokia Lumia 1020, and an older LG Optimus running Android.

I've deleted everything and try adding phones again. Sometimes I can add audio player only, sometimes phone only, sometimes neither (i.e., I hit setup, she starts to talk, then the radio just shuts off). I'll try to get a replacement radio next time I go in for service.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Never could get my android to work with the media side of the phone AND the phone side with blue tooth, ran into a one or the other would work but not both... phone calls work just fine so I ended up using the aux input and audio patch cord from the head phone output of the phone for playing pandora and stored tunes... Works and sounds great. Phone works great with the blue tooth alone.... Is what it is, surrender....

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had similar issues but when it was working I didn't like the sound quality of streaming anyway. This won't solve your bt issue, but why not just connect phone to Bluetooth and media through aux? Just an idea based in MY experience. I do feel your frustration.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
Android here....no issues...2012 FJammer as well. I am about to upgrade head units soon, are you in the market to swap out your FJammer for mine?....I don't want to swap BTW...just sell you my FJammer!

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
Even with a 1000$ HU it does this... I have a DNX 9140 Excelon from Kenwood and use a Galaxy S3 ( it did this on a Xperia too )BT music streaming does the same, sometimes it works or cuts every 15 seconds and comes back, like a hiccup...Anywhere else it works flawlessly, from what i've read it's a BT version thing...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts