Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Welcome to the world of Blue Tooth. I bet a dollar to a doughnut any forum you go to people will have the same problem. I know my Mustang does and the F150 I used to own did. I just use the AUX and cable her up then I don't have to worry about it. The problem is the Blue Tooth stack (or drivers) in the radio they are old and you have a newier phone. Some MFG are backward compatible some are not. Apple has very strict rules for the BT and any program that runs on them Android and Windows does not so things change more with Android and Windows faster then Apple.

Unless the car company's want to upgrade their stereos every few years this will be a problem forever. I know it is not an answer to your problem but it is the way it is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had my 2013TT FJ since early 2013, and I've now gone through 3 different phones that have the same damn bluetooth problems when I pair them:

1. Google Music always works
2. Amazon Music and Pandora sometimes works.
3. Soma.fm never works.

The phones have been, in chronological order, a moto Droid RAZR (android v2.3-4.0) a Nexus 5, (Android 4.4-5.0) and a Nexus 6 (Android 5.0). All three of these phones have always worked 100% of the time with all the other bluetooth devices I sync them with: My livingroom soundbar, my bedroom player, my wife's JVC head unit, and my headphones.

The only device these phones have had a problem with is this Toyota head unit.

Ugh. So frustrating. I really don't like using an AUX cable, because I lose the steering wheel controls for previous/next track, and I think the bluetooth sounds better than the AUX.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
My 2010 Tundra has Bluetooth issues.
iPod works fine, phone works for streaming or phone.

Pair both of them at the same time?
Nope.

It'll pair both, but then if you try to switch back to the iPod it won't connect.
Once you shut the truck off then neither will pair correctly when you start it.

After that, I have not even tried to pair my phone with the FJ.
The iPod works great, so I just leave it at that.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I have had better success with my 14 then I did with my 13 Bluetooth functionality.

Music streams fine.

I have had more of an issue with my radio not recognizing my phone consistently. Meaning it will work perfectly for several days and then it decides (at any given moment) that I don't have any device associated with my radio.

It's a love/hate relationship for sure !!!

:cheers:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Verizon LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 in a 2011 FJ. Having very similar issues to the OP. First Google Music worked and no Pandora. Got a phone update and it switched...Google music doesn't work and Pandora does. The issue I have is songs will play for a random amount of time and then the head unit will go silent but the phone will appear to keep playing. Sometimes pausing and playing on the phone will fix. Sometimes pressing the BT source button on the head unit will cause it to start playing again.

I think the issue is related to a switch in the bluetooth standard that phones with android 4.3 and later used but haven't been able to sort it out exactly what changed. I did some research a while back and the android 4.3+ added something called A2DP or something like that. I gave up on figuring it out but would love it if somebody found a fix.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Im sure that the A2DP BT profile is whats at issue here, thats why I was hoping there was a firmware update available, because thats definitely a radio software issue.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
i have a high-end Alpine and don't use the bluetooth steam music etc, if i need to use my phone i pick it up and talk on the damn thing , wow what a concept lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
i am having the exact opposite problem! my music connects fine but my phone wont, for making and receiving calls. it used to work. any suggestions would be appreciated

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,966 Posts
I don't know much about this stuff, so hopefully others will chime in that do. I have an older Iphone 4 that sometimes gives me fits in my Tundra and won't connect especially if I've been out somewhere and lost service. When I get back into a service area it won't reconnect and just shows no service. I usually pull over and park and shut the truck off, shut the phone off, restart the phone, then restart the truck and normally it works again. I have had to go into the unit and reset the stuff on the stereo a couple of times too after trying the other stuff. Don't know if this will work for you or help out or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2012 with FJammer installed. Sony Z3 phone with Android 5, 6 and 6.0.1.

I have found that if the truck is turned on, but I have forgotten to turn the phone Bluetooth on first, I need to turn the truck back off and start again. No amount of telling the HU to connect, the phone to connect, different orders etc will allow it to work. Truck off, phone BT on, truck back on and they will, 95% of the time, connect. Occasionally, they will still get their knickers in a knot which results in having to delete the phone from the HU and reconnect - although I have discovered that I don't need to make the phone forget the truck - quite the bonus, as I will explain below.

Recently brought a Nexus 7 tablet. Android 5. It mounts beside the steering wheel below the drivers vent. Has Torque, google maps, Spotify on it. BT to both obdII and to the FJammer. Auto power on when I start the truck and a few other mods - I should really do another thread and show the build!

Anyway, trying to get both the phone AND the tablet to talk to the head unit just about sent me nuts. The tablet would pair fine, connect on start up no worries, play music, turn by turn directions all good. Add the phone and it would all fall apart. The phone would tell the HU that it did music AND phone, then the HU would ignore the tablet. Turn phone off, HU kept looking for it, even though the tablet was dancing around with it's hand in the air screaming "Pick me! Pick me!" Turn the truck off and on again, truck keeps looking for the bloody phone! (Oh the irony, considering when the tablet wasn't there, the HU would ignore the phone!)

After much more mucking around, loss of sleep, weight and hair, I think I have got a temporary truce between all three devices. (Probably just put a hex on it by saying so)

1. All three devices forget the others.
2. Pair the phone with the HU, as a phone only. Bastard thing adds it as a media device regardless though.
3. Open phone settings, tell phone it isn't to share media with the HU.
4. Open HU settings, delete phone as both media and telephone.
5. Tell HU to pair with phone again, as phone only. It won't add it as a media device this time, as the phone's settings say no.
6. Add tablet as media device to HU.

For some reason, the default setting on the X3 is to automatically share everything, hence the HU adds it as a media device on the first pairing. Once it has paired though, I was able to remove the media from the phone options. I then found that I couldn't just remove the phone from the HU as a media device - despite saying "device deleted"' it would still be there. Luckily, by some strange quirk, the phone is happy to accept the pairing request from the HU a second time with no issue.

This has only been running for a week or so, so it may all fail yet. However, so far I have been able to have music playing from the tablet, the music mute when receiving or making a phone call, and then the music start again afterwards. I have been very careful to make sure that the BT is on on the phone when I start the truck though - although I'll no doubt forget and then we'll see what happens from there...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread but today has pushed my patience with the FJ and it's quirks. I've experienced random disconnects, etc with the radio as other has stated with three different phones over the last fours years of ownership.

The quirks (more than just the radio/bluetooth issue) of the FJ is starting to catch up to me to the point I've tossed the idea of trading it for something else which is sad because it took me almost 10 months to find and an army green TT that was reasonably close to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm at my wits end with my 2012 FJ bluetooth system. i finally got the iphone xr paired (including audio pairing) after about on hour of trying to figure out this goddamn ****. It will play the music on my phone but I can't make or take a call to save my flippin' life. I try the dial by number function and it says something like "unable to make call". check your phone. Maybe this is an Iphone XR issue, some f******ing setting that I'm not seeing on the phone, and not the FJ's fault but I'm a middle aged 50 year who is not tech savvy and I kind of want to go postal right now.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts