Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a stupid question from a newbie (I apologize) but does anyone else notice little difference in bass sound with the subwoofer on or off? I am wondering how to get the most out of it. Do I need an amp? More powerful stereo?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
This may be a stupid question from a newbie (I apologize) but does anyone else notice little difference in bass sound with the subwoofer on or off? I am wondering how to get the most out of it. Do I need an amp? More powerful stereo?
I had the same problem. What I had to do was adjust the bass settings within my receiver, I'm using an AVIC Z1. I have a feeling that the factory head units don't do as good a job with putting out bass.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There should be a significant difference between the sound when the sub is on or off. I don't know what type of music you are listening to but I would try something heavy on the bass. If that doesn't make much difference then I would check the wiring if you feel comfortable or have Toyota do it.

The other option is always to get an amp. The only thing here is that your new amp will probably be able to out-perform the factory sub. This means the life expectancy on your factory sub won't be that long. Better to change the sub and amp together and make sure both are compatible "power wise".

And like the previous user stated, check your equalizer settings.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
There should be a significant difference between the sound when the sub is on or off. I don't know what type of music you are listening to but I would try something heavy on the bass. If that doesn't make much difference then I would check the wiring if you feel comfortable or have Toyota do it.

The other option is always to get an amp. The only thing here is that your new amp will probably be able to out-perform the factory sub. This means the life expectancy on your factory sub won't be that long. Better to change the sub and amp together and make sure both are compatible "power wise".

And like the previous user stated, check your equalizer settings.
With all of my settings on the stock equilizer settings I can tell a noticeable difference in having the sub on or off... If you cannot then something isn't working properly. You may have the treble turned way up.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
This what I did with the factory setup.

I removed the built-in amp inside the factory sub box and installed an inexpensive external 700W amp under the driver seat . The 30W DVC factory subwoofer was replaced with 8" JL Audio. I made a wiring harness with RCA line output with adjustable gain.

The front speakers were also replaced with Kenwood 6x9 2-way KDC-6990ie.

The overall sound is so much better now.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

I removed the built-in amp inside the factory sub box and installed an inexpensive external 700W amp under the driver seat . The 30W DVC factory subwoofer was replaced with 8" JL Audio. I made a wiring harness with RCA line output with adjustable gain.

That looks pretty impressive.. How much was the total system if you don't mind me asking?

·
Premium Member
428 Posts

Did that 8" JL sub fit into the stock box without any problems? I'm interested in doing something similiar, glad I searched first, thought we had a stock 10".

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

I hear a new project for me!

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
I dont have the sub back there SO---->what about just adding a aftermarket sub back there???? Are the wires there to do it??

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I dont have the sub back there SO---->what about just adding a aftermarket sub back there???? Are the wires there to do it??
My guess would be no. Wouldn't make much sense for them to do that unless you had the sub to connect them to. Check out Wicked CAS if your looking to add one back there.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
The factory wiring should be there. The connector for the switch is behind a blank in the center console, and the pigtail for the OEM amp/sub is in the RR quarter panel (behind the stash box).

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
The factory wiring should be there. The connector for the switch is behind a blank in the center console, and the pigtail for the OEM amp/sub is in the RR quarter panel (behind the stash box).

Sweet thanks for the heads up there bud..I figured the wire harness would be there. As a Technician myself Ive seen where auto manufactures do complete all of the harness for every application offered and if you dont have the sub woofer or whatever accessory the wire loom still may have the connect. I had a 04 avalanche and to get the temp gauge for the trans all i had to do was replace the inst cluster with one that had a trans temp gauge and your done. Everything else was there for it to work just no gauge.. I didnt think about the switch in the center console..thanks again..:bigthumb:

Oh and yes when I plug my MP3 in and jam some Stone Temple Pilots its awesome but the regular radio sucks..need more Bass..or Power something..

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Did that 8" JL sub fit into the stock box without any problems? I'm interested in doing something similiar, glad I searched first, thought we had a stock 10".
The JL Audio 8W1v2-4 8" subwoofer is low-profile and it fits with no problems.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Heres a stupid off subject, yet related question.

Since I just swapped my AVN-5435 from my old 2007 with out sub to my shiney new 2008 WITH sub I am a bit perplexed.

What I DO know is I just plugged my factory harness into the unit the same way it was from the '07 FJ and my new sub works fine. Here's the question: (finally)

Does the sub woofer switch on the center console have a backlight when the running lights are switched on?

Cause MINE doesn't. I never drove the new FJ at night before putting in my AVN-5435 (wasting no time), so I have no idea if that WAS backlit and now isn't.

Ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
The subwoofer switch has no light. The only way that I know my sub is on is if i press it and listen.
And there it is. At least I can draw a line through THAT item on the Fix It list.

Thanks!:bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts