Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My entire cargo container headed for Germany is delayed, apparently due to the FJ, by the U.S. Customs Dept. I won't see my car until August. :cry:

Does ANYone have any tips about how to speed this along with German Customs (zollamtlich abfertigen)? It will arrive in Bremerhaven, and my [German] husband has absolutely NO idea how to go about registering the vehicle here. The expat coordinator at his job isn't much help, either. This is something we have to tackle on our own... and oh how I HATE bureaucracy, especially in another country. ;)

thank you! Vielen Dank! :)

p.s. if you are German and you'd prefer to advise me in German, please do! Ich verstehe Deutsch. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Why didn't you ask me before you went, liebschen? Aller Anfang ist schwer. Immer bürokratisch.

You MAY have to make changes to comply with German safety standards. The checking is done by, among others, the TÜV TÃœV SÃœD - Mehr Sicherheit. Mehr Wert. - TÃœV SÃœD BADEN-WÃœRTTEMBERG, TÃœV SÃœD BAYERN, TÃœV HESSEN, TÃœV SÃœD SACHSEN - Home deutsch.

Their experts on car importing issues were (a couple years ago) Herr Gayk, phone number +49 89 5190 3109, or Herr Schmidt, phone number +49 89 32950 931. Es gelang ihm, die Schwierigkeiten zu überwinden.

(apologies for rusty Hoch Deutsch)

PS - You should have cleared it BEFORE you left the US (yes, it's possible). I recall you saying that Mr. VOODOOBREW's company handled all that....:rawr:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Why didn't you ask me before you went, liebschen? Aller Anfang ist schwer. Immer bürokratisch.

You MAY have to make changes to comply with German safety standards. The checking is done by, among others, the TÜV TÃœV SÃœD - Mehr Sicherheit. Mehr Wert. - TÃœV SÃœD BADEN-WÃœRTTEMBERG, TÃœV SÃœD BAYERN, TÃœV HESSEN, TÃœV SÃœD SACHSEN - Home deutsch.

Their experts on car importing issues were (a couple years ago) Herr Gayk, phone number +49 89 5190 3109, or Herr Schmidt, phone number +49 89 32950 931. Es gelang ihm, die Schwierigkeiten zu überwinden.

(apologies for rusty Hoch Deutsch)

PS - You should have cleared it BEFORE you left the US (yes, it's possible). I recall you saying that Mr. VOODOOBREW's company handled all that....:rawr:
thank you for the info Schatzi, I will look into this. :)

Herr VDB's company did SQUAT. The whole thing is like a big blunder. Don't even get me started on the loser property manager... we may have just lost our tenants that *I* hand selected. I just emailed the moving company and effectively asked him what the hail is he going to do for us regarding getting the FJ.

I also noticed on the link that proof of car insurance is req'd... Herr VDB canceled that already... hope that wasn't a mistake. Hope the moving company covers any damage to the FJ....

Can I just rant a little over some other things? Just a few. WHY do the ~ tallest people on the planet have the smallest beds? WHY are there no bug screens? I feel like I am going to scream if I have to kill one more bee or fly. This is not rocket science, dear Germans....

I know from this forum that I will probably have to get a fog light, but that is about it. Oh, and special plates made to fit. The insurance company here doesn't know the FJ... we shall see how they decide to charge us. I need to gather the last NINE years of my insurance history to show what a stellar driver I am. And they want us to tell them a comparable vehicle that is available here.... uh.... Jeep??

I'd rather have teeth pulled than deal with the bureaucracy here, and they've already pulled one of my teeth, much to my dismay. Well, I am finding much humor in reading comments on expat sites about dealing with culture and bureaucracy here... :lol:

I think this is my favorite quote thus far:
"First of all I think it should be a prerequisite to own and wear daily the "A GROUCHY GERMAN IS A SOUR KRAUT" t-shirt. "

:rofl:

Don't take offense, you know I :pinklove: you, Larry. But like you, my roots are Bavarian. These northerners are GROUCHY! They need to don some lederhosen and get happy! How about a frigging SMILE for once?? :wave:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They do have bug screens in Germany. Ask for das Insektenschutzgitter.
for the house?? I don't see how it could work, since the windows crack by by sticking out... how to explain?... They are on a hinge, and to open, they end up going toward horizontal while the frame stays vertical -- make sense? How was that for the crappiest technical explanation ever?? At least I didn't say "thingy"... :lol:

Our house is new (still being finished), and there are NO closets, no cabinets, no lights, no shelves, no bathroom mirrors, etc. ALL this stuff, we must buy, even as renters. oy vey. too much frigging stuff to do...

Oh, and no garage, which is standard here (to have no garage). :rawr: We are paying for a car port, and the owner was annoyed that it has to be special for the big, FAT FJ. :lol: He will pay for the "pavement" (rocks), which must be wider than normal. :D no pavement where we live, so I will be "offroad" daily! :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I also noticed on the link that proof of car insurance is req'd... Herr VDB canceled that already...
There are insurance companies that handle your car wherever it is on the planet (I am insured by one of those but it's only available to military people).

Can I just rant a little over some other things? Just a few. WHY do the ~ tallest people on the planet have the smallest beds?
I know there are Costco in Germany. Get your American bed there.

The insurance company here doesn't know the FJ...
That may be the hold up with German Customs as well. It's not an uncommon issue for an "unfamiliar/fremdartig" vehicle
(mit einem Problem stecken bleiben)

I'd rather have teeth pulled than deal with the bureaucracy here
That was only one measly wisdom tooth - you have lots of teeth left before you have to go with the traditional Gebiß/Gaumenplatte. :rofl:

It was smart of the Germans to remove your "wisdom" tooth first. Now you'll have to rely on the local anwalt for everything! Crafty Krauts!

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
for the house?? I don't see how it could work, since the windows crack by by sticking out... how to explain?...
Insektenschutzgitter usually go on the inside of the fensters. Go to a fenstermacher and see if they can't fabricate something for you. I'm sure that they have them, it's just that the thrifty Germans don't like to spend an extra pfennig.

Our house is new (still being finished), and there are NO closets, no cabinets, no lights, no shelves, no bathroom mirrors, etc. ALL this stuff, we must buy, even as renters. oy vey. too much frigging stuff to do...
Immer aus Europe und Asia. And it's not just renters. When you buy a house it has NOTHING inside. Often no toilets either. You have to buy those as well. They must think your special if your new home has a kloschüssel mitt klodeckel (I may have the word wrong but I think it means toilet bowl and lid, as opposed to the toilette, which means bathroom/water closet, etc)

EDIT: It would be tough for me to live (at this point in my life) without a 3 or 4-car garage.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Larry, I just asked the moving company who covers any damage to the FJ while in container, and he did not know so he will ask the German affiliate. GULP. To me this means it's not covered. Sometimes my husband really annoys me! Would it have killed us to leave the car insured while in transit? NO!

Ich brauche ein Bier. :lol: :cry:

p.s. He is buying a car as I type. keine Ahnung what it will be!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Insektenschutzgitter usually go on the inside of the fensters. Go to a fenstermacher and see if they can't fabricate something for you. I'm sure that they have them, it's just that the thrifty Germans don't like to spend an extra pfennig.

Immer aus Europe und Asia. And it's not just renters. When you buy a house it has NOTHING inside. Often no toilets either. You have to buy those as well. They must think your special if your new home has a kloschüssel mitt klodeckel (I may have the word wrong but I think it means toilet bowl and lid, as opposed to the toilette, which means bathroom/water closet, etc)

EDIT: It would be tough for me to live (at this point in my life) without a 3 or 4-car garage.
:lol:
Yeah, we have a 3 car garage back at home. I gave up a lot to come here... including new landscaping to the tune of about what A2a spent on his rig. :shock:

Right now we are in a ONE bdrm apt with one bathroom, and stomach flu running through the family. Need I say more? :rofl:

I will look into the insect stoppers... I am allergic to bees and they are everywhere! Money will be NO object for those. Oh, and my CA king bed is on its way, but I seriously doubt it will fit in the budoir, let alone up the narrow spiral staircase.......

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
p.s. He is buying a car as I type. keine Ahnung what it will be!

BMW Isetta 300

Oh, and my CA king bed is on its way, but I seriously doubt it will fit in the budoir, let alone up the narrow spiral staircase.......
:shock: :kiss:Keep the bed set up in das Wohnzimmer. It will encourage visits by neighbors.:jawdrop:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

BMW Isetta 300

:shock: :kiss:Keep the bed set up in das Wohnzimmer. It will encourage visits by neighbors.:jawdrop:

:rofl: I just got done telling my best friend that that is exactly where the bed is going to have to go. great minds think alike! :lol: Have I mentioned that the local (small town) dentist was kind of hot?... :lol: ;)

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
:rofl: I just got done telling my best friend that that is exactly where the bed is going to have to go. great minds think alike! :lol: Have I mentioned that the local (small town) dentist was kind of hot?... :lol: ;)
You can always claim that you were "gassed" at the time.

·
Registered
520 Posts
we may have just lost our tenants that *I* hand selected.

The insurance company here doesn't know the FJ... we shall see how they decide to charge us. And they want us to tell them a comparable vehicle that is available here.... uh.... Jeep??
So sorry to hear every thing is going to hail. I'm still in Cali, want me to rough up your tennants? Tell them the are locked into the lease for life, or until I say so.

When I bought my FJ in the states, the insurance company did'nt know what to call it, so they put it down as a Tacoma.

for the house?? I don't see how it could work, since the windows crack by by sticking out... how to explain?... They are on a hinge, and to open, they end up going toward horizontal while the frame stays vertical -- make sense? How was that for the crappiest technical explanation ever?? At least I didn't say "thingy"... :lol:
Are u talking about those windows that have a handle that swings them upward? They make inner frame screens for those, I've seen them on my relatives homes over there, so there must be some sort of home depot place that sells them.

PS, Like your Osbourne bull

·
Registered
520 Posts
You can always claim that you were "gassed" at the time.
Jeez Larry, don't you know how tasteless it is making "gas" jokes in Germany, what are you trying to do, get her deported?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So sorry to hear every thing is going to hail. I'm still in Cali, want me to rough up your tennants? Tell them the are locked into the lease for life, or until I say so.

When I bought my FJ in the states, the insurance company did'nt know what to call it, so they put it down as a Tacoma.

Are u talking about those windows that have a handle that swings them upward? They make inner frame screens for those, I've seen them on my relatives homes over there, so there must be some sort of home depot place that sells them.

PS, Like your Osbourne bull
STEVE!!!!! I've missed you! Can I import you over here to help me with all this bullmierda that I have to deal with?? I'm serious! Sprichst du Deutsch?? :lol:

Yeah, the bull is in celebration of the Spanish Euro Cup victory over Germany. They deserved it. I live here now, but as you know I lived in Spain as a kid, and that counts for more!!

Man, in Spain I could just flash some leg and batta BING, all is taken care of. :lol: NOT so here in Germany. LONG LIVE the Mediterranean "bureaucracy", hahaha.

btw: first vacation here will be Galicia, Portugal, and maybe the Basques. MY request. *cough*, demand. :D

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jeez Larry, don't you know how tasteless it is making "gas" jokes in Germany, what are you trying to do, get her deported?
:rofl: :rofl:

OMG, the FLIES!!!! I feel like I'm in Lord of the Flies! Somebody rescue me and take me back to my new redwood deck in CA, WHAAHHHHH!!! :cry:

(I am THE biggest baby of the month on FJ Cruiser forums... do we have that honor yet? :rofl:)

·
Registered
520 Posts
STEVE!!!!! I've missed you! Can I import you over here to help me with all this bullmierda that I have to deal with?? I'm serious! Sprichst du Deutsch?? :lol:

Yeah, the bull is in celebration of the Spanish Euro Cup victory over Germany. They deserved it. I live here now, but as you know I lived in Spain as a kid, and that counts for more!!

Man, in Spain I could just flash some leg and batta BING, all is taken care of. :lol: NOT so here in Germany. LONG LIVE the Mediterranean "bureaucracy", hahaha.

btw: first vacation here will be Galicia, Portugal, and maybe the Basques. MY request. *cough*, demand. :D
I've got to "handle" your tennants first, but, I'll be over right after that. Some customs officials need dealing with it, sounds like.

Great day Sunday, got really tired of a friend telling me that Spain must be in South American league, cause he never saw Spain make the finals in Eurocup, and other lame insults about the team. He's German, snobs that they are. (not all Germans)

Been hard really hard to do the forum lately, I miss it, but my new job charges every 15 minutes to billing, my last one, I did dailey charges. PITA.

Sounds like your hubby owes you more than just a vacation, maybe you can work a Euro tour out of him. At the very least, he owes you a couple of months of chores.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've got to "handle" your tennants first, but, I'll be over right after that. Some customs officials need dealing with it, sounds like.

Great day Sunday, got really tired of a friend telling me that Spain must be in South American league, cause he never saw Spain make the finals in Eurocup, and other lame insults about the team. He's German, snobs that they are. (not all Germans)

Been hard really hard to do the forum lately, I miss it, but my new job charges every 15 minutes to billing, my last one, I did dailey charges. PITA.

Sounds like your hubby owes you more than just a vacation, maybe you can work a Euro tour out of him. At the very least, he owes you a couple of months of chores.
Yeah, they can be pretty snobby. But you know what? They need to travel to Spain NOW.... Germany is in sort of in a recession, and Spain is doing great, and is fawking expensive as hail to visit! GOOD FOR THEM! Viva La España, I say!!! The Germans need to find a new place for a cheap vacation. :lol:

So what is your new job?? (have I just hijacked my own thread?)

I need a lot more than a vacation, believe me....... you probably don't want to ask what I really need. ;)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yeah, they can be pretty snobby. But you know what? They need to travel to Spain NOW.... Germany is in sort of in a recession, and Spain is doing great, and is fawking expensive as hail to visit! GOOD FOR THEM! Viva La España, I say!!! The Germans need to find a new place for a cheap vacation. :lol:

So what is your new job?? (have I just hijacked my own thread?)

I need a lot more than a vacation, believe me....... you probably don't want to ask what I really need. ;)
I'll be there next year, there and Iceland. I hear they are starting the slide into recession next.

Mapping tech, sort of a step down, but it pays more, and I've got to know 10 times more useless info, so go figure. They did'nt have an engineering department in Bakersfield, and I did'nt want to move to the bay area(although I hear there is a nice rental with a deck, available).

What do You need? Waffle iron:thinkerg:? I'm really bad at guessing.:wave:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts