Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 423 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Loganbeere's Iceberg Build

Installed Coverking spacer mesh seat covers today to avoid wearing a hole in the stock seats. Fitment was extremely good. Looks almost OEM. Feels soft and cool. The spacer mesh looks like a breathable material. Don't mind the dirty interior. I need to clean it.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Re: Loganbeere's Iceberg Build

How do you like the MasterCraft MTs? Any complaints?
I liked them in the beginning but now they are loud after about 20k miles. Going with an AT (either KO2, ridge grappler or falken atw3) next time. I went from stock to these so I don't have anything else to compare to.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Look forward to the snorkel install. What's the quality like?
Very nice quality. He packaged it well. Hard to tell that it was handmade. I will probably document the install on this thread since there isn't one on this concealed inside the fender version. I have a second battery in the back corner and didn't want to drill a big hole in my fender. This is mainly for dust control for me.

·
Registered
190 Posts

Please share your experience with the quality and install of the snorkel. I am on the fence for this one. I am curious if you need to drill any holes on the A pillar or roof to mount. In addition, I plan to run my wires through the snorkel if it's possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

I really like that snorkel....looking forward to the install
Please share your experience with the quality and install of the snorkel. I am on the fence for this one. I am curious if you need to drill any holes on the A pillar or roof to mount. In addition, I plan to run my wires through the snorkel if it's possible.

Sure, I've been busy with a new house renovation so I haven't found the time to install it yet. There is no drilling of the A pillar. The top of the snorkel is secured to the roof with factory roof rack mounting holes so no drilling. From what I can tell there will be some cutting inside the fender but nothing that you can tell from the outside so it can be returned to the factory look.

·
Registered
356 Posts

Looking forward to your snorkel build thread. We know what you mean about being busy with a re-model. It took us two months to do our kitchen, but well worth the blood, sweat and tears. Good luck my friend.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Looking forward to your snorkel build thread. We know what you mean about being busy with a re-model. It took us two months to do our kitchen, but well worth the blood, sweat and tears. Good luck my friend.

Thanks Doug. It was a full gut job with new plumbing, electrical and ac install...one headache after another. Looking forward to trail riding with you guys soon.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
OFF-ROAD GARAGE SNORKEL INSTALL
http://offroad-garage.com/2016/06/21/24/

Before you get started, get some of these Fender liner grommets. They will get mangled when you go to remove them.
OEM part number 90189-A0002.

1. Removing the fender is the hardest part of this because there is no resource to show you where all the bolts and plastic clips are so I did my best to show them below

Fasteners here need to be removed

Popping off the black plastic piece. Three clips on the underside that need to be popped off

More bolts to remove

Passenger turn signal light needs to be removed (three nuts in the back side) and unplugging the cable

If you have trouble with this part then look at this video

These three nuts/bolts need to be removed to free up the lower front corner of the fender

Removing the fender flare....I just used the directions from the bushwhacker fender flare install PDF on the internet
http://www.bushwacker.com/sites/default/files/product-instructions/31922_r6.pdf

The back end of the fender is attached with a single 10mm bolt and 4 plastic clips. To get to them you have to open the passenger door and look forward. Couple of them are tricky to get to

Finally the last hidden bolt holding the bottom of the fender in place

Had to cut off couple of brackets inside the fender for the inner snorkel piece to fit.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

The inner snorkel piece seems to fit in there quite well but the three brackets that are included to secure the inner snorkel piece don't line up with any holes so I stopped there. Going to need to be little creative this weekend

Snorkel install continuation

·
Registered
190 Posts

Started my snorkel install. Removing the fender is definitely not straight forward and is the hardest part of this. Had to cut off couple of brackets inside the fender for it to fit. The inner snorkel piece seems to fit in there quite well but the brackets that are included to secure the inner snorkel piece don't line up with any holes so I stopped there. Going to need to be little creative this weekend

That sucks! That is last thing you expect when you spend $600.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Loganbeere's Iceberg Build

That sucks! That is last thing you expect when you spend $600.

Well only one bracket fits a hole that is already there.

I decided not to use the antenna anymore. The one that came with my FJ was short and floppy and always flapped in the wind. I don't normally listen to the radio so I hid the antenna in the fender here

I didn't see how the other two brackets could fit in with any present holes in the fender apron so I bent one of brackets 90 degrees and secured it to a bolt that is already in the fender. With two attachment points it seems pretty sturdy so I think I will leave it like that. I think they want you to drill new holes into inner fender but I decided against it.

A lot of rtv silicone to seal the system

More trimming needed. I used a Dremel with a cutting wheel

Snorkel install continuation

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,107 Posts

Great info on the snorkel install. I wonder of the brackets you had to remove were not present on their FJ's, seems odd. Does their removal compromise the securing of the panel /fender back in place? It looks as though it would.

I'm still interested in buying one of these, I like the design, discussed with my friend about using a silicone hose in place of the moulded tube inside the fender, I wonder if that would make it easier.

Look forward ro seeing the end result and hearing your thoughts overall.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

Great info on the snorkel install. I wonder of the brackets you had to remove were not present on their FJ's, seems odd. Does their removal compromise the securing of the panel /fender back in place? It looks as though it would.

I'm still interested in buying one of these, I like the design, discussed with my friend about using a silicone hose in place of the moulded tube inside the fender, I wonder if that would make it easier.

Look forward ro seeing the end result and hearing your thoughts overall.

The brackets that I cut off were in their instructions to do so. The fender is secured by a ton of fasteners so I don't think it will make a difference. The bottom of the outer snorkel piece is actually held in place by securing it to this inner tube so if you use a silicone hose it wouldn't be sturdy enough to hold the snorkel in place.

21 - 40 of 423 Posts