Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
421 - 440 of 480 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #425 · (Edited)
Just wanted to share that since I went with an enclosed bumper servicing the winch can be hassle. I wanted to “upgrade” while I was at it. I was on Craigslist looking for a used Warn winch but they always seem to go for a higher price than I am willing to pay for a used winch. I was set on a Warn M8000 ($630) since it is a classic workhorse winch and when stripped down only weighs 35lbs. I even had it on order at Amazon but cancelled my order after a few hours thinking maybe I need a little bit more power. Then I considered the Warn XD9000 ($930) and the Warn 9.5XP ($1150). Prices are on amazon for steel cable since I already have a brand new synthetic line in my possession. After a few more weeks of research and mainly indecision, I ended up going with a Comeup Seal Gen2 9.5 winch.

I got the “naked” version for $750. I went with this winch because everyone that has one seems to be glowing about them. The cone brake is outside the drum so less heat damage for synthetic line. Less amp draw and faster line speed. They have the longest warranty on the market: 8 years electrical and lifetime on mechanical. They also ran their winch underwater in a fish tank for a week without any problems.

I made this table during my research so I will just share it here. The Engo XR10 is my previous winch.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #426 · (Edited)
Staying at home has its benefits. Working on the install of the Comeup winch. I spent many days thinking about where to put everything due to space constraints.

I used an awning bracket that was laying around to mount the control box to the side of the bumper and because of the orientation I had to relocate the plug for the wired winch control. Had to use some new shorter cables from the control box to the winch to save some space.

It seems pretty out of the way but I may move it. I have a remote so the wired controller is only a back up.

Had to clock the winch clutch handle 45 degrees forward to make it easier to access. I had some difficulties with this because some of the bolts wouldn’t line up but I called customer service for Comeup and they helped me over the phone.

I did hook up the winch to my battery before to make sure everything was running properly otherwise it would suck to install everything on the FJ then have to take it apart to troubleshoot. It did run quicker and faster than my last Engo winch (didn’t fit in this bumper).

Now just waiting on some strong friends to come lift this onto the FJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #427 ·
I also bought a pair of Baja Designs S1’s to mount in the FJ grill. Should arrive any day now. Just need a little extra light at night sometimes so not going to go all out with the lights.

·
Owner: G3 Offroad
2,201 Posts
Excellent choice on the winch

Reactions: Loganbeere

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #431 ·
Can't wait to see the lights mounted!

Apparently they are pretty bright for a single light but I’m not expecting a lot. They are pretty small.

This is what I was going to go with initially but my center hoop would block some of the light output. We’ll see...I may put them in my bumper instead.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #432 ·
Turns out if I plan it out carefully I can still install the bumper with the winch in it by myself without lifting anything.

My ghetto contraption:

I used a jack on each side of the frame to adjust and raise the height of the FJ until it perfectly matches with the bumper and just rolled the bumper right into the bolts without having to lift anything

Finished!

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,621 Posts
Brilliant! Neccissity is the mother of invention (I made that up myself, out of necessity ? ) Oh and it even looks safe, unlike some of my ghetto inventions :ROFLMAO:

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,621 Posts
Exactly.... so we will all be getting inventive and hopefully posting up some brilliant ideas ???

·
Owner: G3 Offroad
2,201 Posts
What are you using for you winch line ?

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,621 Posts
Personally I think amber would look fantastic with your overall design (and no I’m not biased ?).

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #440 ·
Personally I think amber would look fantastic with your overall design (and no I’m not biased ).

The baby lights are alive....crappy iPhone picture because it’s so bright

I was painting the hardware to mount the lights black so it wouldn’t show through the grill. Right now I have only ziptied the lights to the grill. I will see what the light spread on the clear lens looks like tonight and then try the amber lens tomorrow night. The amber lights look great on your truck so I thought I will give it a go.

421 - 440 of 480 Posts