Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

461 - 475 of 475 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #465 ·
Wow I can’t help but buy more.

The light pattern of wide angle lens S1’s in the grill is actually partially blocked by the center hoop so I bought some spot pattern S1’s to put in the grill and move the amber wide pattern S1’s down into the bumper where the bumper angles out slightly. This will give me better side coverage and improved range up front. I will have to get a 2.5” hole saw to accomplish that. FYI, the light out of these are on par with the S2 pros and better than the squadron sport. They are also cheaper too.

So much for not modding the FJ anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #468 ·
Headlights+Spots in grill+wide cornering in bumper

I went out a couple nights ago to look at the light spread where I mounted the S1 in the bumper and grill. After that my battery looking like it was starting to go. My starting battery is a Sears Diehard Gold AGM Group 34 ($135) which I bought 4 years ago. Lately the FJ sits for long periods of time because it’s no longer my DD and also where I live the summer temps can be in the 110’s. In contrast my secondary battery is an Odyssey 34R-PC1500 AGM ($250) which I purchased 5 years ago and it is still in good shape. As with all things you tend to get what you pay for. I just placed an order with a local battery shop for a Northstar AGM 27F ($285 +tax)

Spec and reviews on the Northstar seem to be even better than the Odyssey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
Loganbeere's Iceberg Build

Putting everything back together

The bottom of the inner snorkel piece where it attaches to the intake bulges into the wheel well some making the plastic wheel well not sit flush but after some fiddling around and tightening everything it all lined up

Test fitting the outer snorkel piece

Added some padding where the snorkel could potentially rub on the FJ to prevent damage to the factory paint over time

Installation completed. Took it for a test drive and nothing fell apart so I think we are good.

MY IMPRESSION OF THIS SNORKEL:

The snorkel feels very sturdy and the fit was really good after it was all said and done. I can grab the snorkel and rock the vehicle side to side and the snorkel does not budge. Instructions were vague and incomplete. I am pretty sure that of all those that installed this snorkel, we all did it a little differently. I only used two of the three brackets to secure the snorkel but it seems pretty secure. Although I had to cut off two brackets inside the fender and trim the fender to get the snorkel to fit, everything can outwardly be returned back to stock. It also doesn't take up valuable space under the hood where I have a second battery mounted.

Skip to continuation of build here (Ghost FJ Build)
I have just received this snorkel in the mail. Your description of your installation is one of the clearest I have ever read! Really well done! Gives us confidence that we can do it! Thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have just received this snorkel in the mail. Your description of your installation is one of the clearest I have ever read! Really well done! Gives us confidence that we can do it! Thanks!

The bottom of the inner snorkel piece where it attaches to the intake bulges into the wheel well some making the plastic wheel well not sit flush but after some fiddling around and tightening everything it all lined up

Added some padding where the snorkel could potentially rub on the FJ to prevent damage to the factory paint over time

Installation completed. Took it for a test drive and nothing fell apart so I think we are good.

The snorkel feels very sturdy and the fit was really good after it was all said and done. I can grab the snorkel and rock the vehicle side to side and the snorkel does not budge. Instructions were vague and incomplete. I am pretty sure that of all those that installed this snorkel, we all did it a little differently. I only used two of the three brackets to secure the snorkel but it seems pretty secure. Although I had to cut off two brackets inside the fender and trim the fender to get the snorkel to fit, everything can outwardly be returned back to stock. It also doesn't take up valuable space under the hood where I have a second battery mounted.

Hi Loganbeere! Here's a bit of a time warp! I'm actually in the middle of this snorkel mod and your description has been really helpful! I have the fender positioned back on with the lower snorkel fastened in 3 places! I've dry fitted the top part of the snorkel and it fits good and doesn't interfere with my stock roof rack. I find that the Kaz-english instructions are telling me to anchor the top of the snorkel with a bracket that fits under the "foot" of the roof rack. I'm leery of messing with the roof rack because I have been free from any leaks! Anyway, is it easy to lift just one "foot" of the roof rack or will I need to loosen bolts on all the feet?

·
Registered
189 Posts

Your detailed explanation gave me the confidence to tackle the installation of the Offroad Garage snorkel. It was really helpful but I learned a few things on the way.
  1. Sending a lot of US $ to some guy in Kazakhstan is stressful but it did arrive and it was professionally made and packed with good quality. Instructions are on line but very poor quality.
  2. I have a stock bumper cover (unlike Loganbeere) so I had to remove that, as well.
  3. You will need many types of trim clips to replace the ones that break!
  4. Offroad Garage has since solved the antenna problem by moulding a wire into the upper snorkel and leaving a few feet to connect to the antenna tube with a ring terminal. The threaded hole on the tube (where the stock antenna screws in) is a weird thread so I cut off the base of my discarded antenna to use as a bolt. Radio works great!
  5. The kit has a bracket that attaches with the bolts anchoring the stock roof rack (then I noticed that Loganbeeres build did not have a roof rack at all). I don’t know if lifting one corner of the roof rack feet is even possible but I’m pretty sure that messing with the roof rack connection is a sure fire way to get a leak and a whole new headliner project! In FJ-speak, that’s like asking someone to remove and reinstall their sunroof! Leaks are inevitable! Anyway, I rigged up a temporary bracket until I can figure how to anchor the top end without having to mess with the roof rack bolts.
Anyway, lots of frustration but lots of satisfaction and the result looks good!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Your detailed explanation gave me the confidence to tackle the installation of the Offroad Garage snorkel. It was really helpful but I learned a few things on the way.
  1. Sending a lot of US $ to some guy in Kazakhstan is stressful but it did arrive and it was professionally made and packed with good quality. Instructions are on line but very poor quality.
  2. I have a stock bumper cover (unlike Loganbeere) so I had to remove that, as well.
  3. You will need many types of trim clips to replace the ones that break!
  4. Offroad Garage has since solved the antenna problem by moulding a wire into the upper snorkel and leaving a few feet to connect to the antenna tube with a ring terminal. The threaded hole on the tube (where the stock antenna screws in) is a weird thread so I cut off the base of my discarded antenna to use as a bolt. Radio works great!
  5. The kit has a bracket that attaches with the bolts anchoring the stock roof rack (then I noticed that Loganbeeres build did not have a roof rack at all). I don’t know if lifting one corner of the roof rack feet is even possible but I’m pretty sure that messing with the roof rack connection is a sure fire way to get a leak and a whole new headliner project! In FJ-speak, that’s like asking someone to remove and reinstall their sunroof! Leaks are inevitable! Anyway, I rigged up a temporary bracket until I can figure how to anchor the top end without having to mess with the roof rack bolts.
Anyway, lots of frustration but lots of satisfaction and the result looks good!
View attachment 1158891
Thanks for the info
Mine should arrive any day now...

And... love the zebra look

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks for the info
Mine should arrive any day now...

And... love the zebra look
Thanks! Too bad you're not closer ... of course I overreacted and bought a huge number of clips! More than I could use in 10 lifetimes!

461 - 475 of 475 Posts