Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 422 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Loganbeere's Iceberg Build

Putting everything back together

The bottom of the inner snorkel piece where it attaches to the intake bulges into the wheel well some making the plastic wheel well not sit flush but after some fiddling around and tightening everything it all lined up

Test fitting the outer snorkel piece

Added some padding where the snorkel could potentially rub on the FJ to prevent damage to the factory paint over time

Installation completed. Took it for a test drive and nothing fell apart so I think we are good.

MY IMPRESSION OF THIS SNORKEL:

The snorkel feels very sturdy and the fit was really good after it was all said and done. I can grab the snorkel and rock the vehicle side to side and the snorkel does not budge. Instructions were vague and incomplete. I am pretty sure that of all those that installed this snorkel, we all did it a little differently. I only used two of the three brackets to secure the snorkel but it seems pretty secure. Although I had to cut off two brackets inside the fender and trim the fender to get the snorkel to fit, everything can outwardly be returned back to stock. It also doesn't take up valuable space under the hood where I have a second battery mounted.

Skip to continuation of build here (http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/598818-loganbeeres-ghost-build-2.html#post8220153)

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Re: Loganbeere's Iceberg Build

That came together nicely! Well done on the install. By the way, whereabout are those roads? Looks like a fun place to put the locker on 2Hi!

Thank you. It's not marked on a map but a large area of intertwining dirt roads along hills. It's about 3hrs from OC so it's probably not worth your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

No prob. Just curious. Didn't know you were in CA too, so it's cool to see some new spots. And not really much wheeling going on in the OC lol. All we have is bro-dozers and pretty lifted jeeps everywhere with fresh tire shine.

I split time between central and southern CA. You can check out red rock canyon and jawbone canyon around Mojave, CA.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts

Mojave is on the list! I'll check out those mentioned. Not sure you'd consider SLO central, but I spent plenty of my college days there. We used to drive the trails up by Lake Nacimiento if you've ever been and I saw my first voodoo FJ on the trails back in '07

·
Registered
355 Posts

Hey Vin, it's been almost a year since you painted your rims with bedliner, how are they holding up?

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

Hey Vin, it's been almost a year since you painted your rims with bedliner, how are they holding up?

Hey Doug, they are holding up pretty well. I haven't touched them up at all. I got a used set of the FJC 16" off-road wheels like what you have on "mean green" for cheap so I am planning on doing the same to them. Took this pic today

These are dirty. Just pressure wash them and they will look like new again.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,100 Posts

Installation completed.
Great picture of an awesome build...makes me think I should have stuck with my original colour choice of Iceberg.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

Great picture of an awesome build...makes me think I should have stuck with my original colour choice of Iceberg.

Iceberg wasn't my color of choice. Was looking for sandstorm or cement grey but it was on the lot with low mileage, a complete stocker, and my wife liked the color. It has grown on me.

·
Registered
414 Posts

How is the road noise with the snorkel over the A-pillar. Has air turbulence increase now with the snorkel as to when u didn't have it? If there is noise is it considerably louder?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,100 Posts

Iceberg wasn't my color of choice. Was looking for sandstorm or cement grey but it was on the lot with low mileage, a complete stocker, and my wife liked the color. It has grown on me.

That'ts funny....I went from Iceburg to Sandstorm to Cement.... love my cement...I decided against white in the end because I really like the contrasting roof

Thinking I'll order the snorkel now you've sussed it out for me:wink

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

How is the road noise with the snorkel over the A-pillar. Has air turbulence increase now with the snorkel as to when u didn't have it? If there is noise is it considerably louder?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

It's funny you should ask that, I took it on a two hour commute on the highway yesterday. I don't usually run with a roof rack so there is more noise now but similar to when the stock roof rack is on for me. I did noticed that since installing the snorkel my mpg is down. I am pretty sure it probably has to do with my engine air filter needing to be changed. I have a new one on order and will clean the MAF sensor as well to see if there is a difference.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

Interesting...a snorkel shouldn't effect power or mpg. If anything it should run better with cleaner air.

Yeah, I don't think it's the snorkel. My air box looked pretty dusty and the filter was pretty dusty too before the install. The snorkel is more for dust control for me. In retrospect, if I was to do the install again I would remove the "immovable" propeller on the air box side where it attaches to the snorkel. I don't think it's needed with this snorkel since it already has an intake vent with small holes and probably causes some restriction to air flow.

Found this picture off the internet of what I am talking about

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Loganbeere's Ghost Build

Love the progress of your build! I am wondering what you think of that CarJoy Head Unit you are using. I have been looking at getting something to replace the factory unit in my 07 that will add some nice new features while still looking like its supposed to be there. Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Re: Loganbeere's Ghost Build

Love the progress of your build! I am wondering what you think of that CarJoy Head Unit you are using. I have been looking at getting something to replace the factory unit in my 07 that will add some nice new features while still looking like its supposed to be there. Thank you in advance!

It is a good unit. You probably already know but the android head unit thread has more info. The gps is very good. The music/sound is fine for me but I am not an audiophile. Having torque pro running is great. You can also get $10 aftermarket replacement for the aux/USB oem port that plugs right into unit. Also has Bluetooth which I think the 2007 factory unit doesn't have. Also no logos so it looks like it belongs there and I have it so It starts up flashing the Toyota logo on the screen.

41 - 60 of 422 Posts