Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

81 - 100 of 422 Posts

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,100 Posts
Re: Loganbeere's Ghost Build

:rocker:try to reserve 1 weekend for installation and don't get frustrated. Lots of clips, bolts and fasteners to find and remove. And buy some fasteners where the plastic wheel liners attach to the fender. You have to break these to take the fender apart.
Thanks...a friend has said he'll fit for me. I already have a bag of clips, I'll check they're the right ones.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #85

Got these 16" OEM wheels for real cheap a few months ago. Gonna use them for a second set of tires. They were scratched up from off-roading from the previous owner. Did some Bedliner spray and black satin paint to freshen them up today.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #88

That bedliner treatment turns out awesome! I might steal your idea to spruce up my OE 17" wheels. They are corroding badly.
Its alot easier with no tires on them. I used a wire wheel on a drill to remove the shiny layer off. Clean with soap and water. I used the rustoleum professional grade bedliner spray which has primer in it. Spray from about 2 feet away and light coats otherwise it will run. Did 3 coats of the bedliner. Without anything on top of the bedliner the finish is rough and will trap dirt and look dull. Finished with 3 coats of rustoleum black satin paint to smooth it out. The bedliner is tougher and will resist paint chips. Will take a week to fully cure and become hard.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)
Loganbeere's Ghost Build

After I had installed the dual battery system, I watched the voltage in the beginning with a multimeter to make sure it was charging when the engine was on. Skip a few months and I didn't look at it again. Got a fridge recently and notice the battery was not charging. Turns out it was a bad ground. Fixed that. To watch the aux battery a little closer I copied these guys (http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/621289-usb-charge-port-question.html) and installed a voltmeter to the aux battery in this location with an on/off toggle switch. Kudos to those guys!

Went on some trails this past weekend and the Dometic fridge was solid and secured on my homemade tie downs. I also got a insulating jacket for the fridge.

Came off a ledge on the trail yesterday and crunched my tail pipe.

I had ordered a hi tuck tail pipe from Dirty Deeds a month ago. Still waiting on delivery

Also mounted my fire extinguisher

Some pics from this weekend's outing

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
Loganbeere's Ghost Build

Out with the old and in with the new

Fitted the Dirty Deeds Industries high tuck tail pipe

It didn't come with instructions and I couldn't figure out the hanger part until I looked at some pictures from Baz's post (http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/engine-performance/154820-ddi-hi-tuck-tail-pipe.html). You have the flip the rubber piece that the hanger slides into upside down.

I bought a new gasket and two new 14mm bolts
Toyota part numbers below:
Bolts x 2: 90105-10388
Gasket: 90917-A6001

I assumed the old bolts were going to be melted in there from reading other posts about the install. I bought a set of bolt extractor sockets from Lowes and used a breaker bar to get them lose. Didn't have to use wd40 or PB blaster.

I didn't notice any difference in the exhaust sound probably because my tires are noisy but now I don't need to worry about smashing the OEM tailpipe.

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts

Out with the old and in with the new

Fitted the Dirty Deeds Industries hi tuck tail pipe (P.S. it's not rust on the under body just dirty from mud)

It didn't come with instructions and I couldn't figure out the hanger part until I looked at some pictures from Baz's post (http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/engine-performance/154820-ddi-hi-tuck-tail-pipe.html). You have the flip the rubber piece that the hanger slides into upside down.

I bought a new gasket and two new 14mm bolts
Toyota part numbers below:
Bolts x 2: 90105-10388
Gasket: 90917-A6001

I assumed the old bolts were going to be melted in there from reading other posts about the install. I bought a set of bolt extractor sockets from Lowes and used a breaker bar to get them lose. Didn't have to use wd40 or PB blaster.

I didn't notice any difference in the exhaust sound probably because my tires are noisy but now I don't need to worry about smashing the OEM tailpipe.
Looking good mate....
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)
Trying to get the FJ ready to do the Mojave Road the end of this month with a few other SoCal guys. Bringing extra fuel is a requirement for this trail. I usually go with the baldy look so I can fit in parking garages, less wind noise and being more aerodynamic, but I put on the half rack today. Need a place to strap my two 4-gal Rotopax. Eventually I want to get a full low profile aftermarket rack.

Resource here for anyone interested in the half rack mod (https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/all-new-roof-rack-diet-mine-was-a-bit-too-big.90182/)

I also ordered an ARB awning today to put in the rear.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
Made some mounting brackets for the arb awning and Iconic's rear recovery points came in the mail. These are the most beefiest things that I will put on the FJ. I think the rear cross member of the frame will tear away before these will.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I like the Awning back there. I was going to attach either an awning or water system. It doesn't look much space for attaching lights huh?

Thanks James. Attach lights to the awning or the rack? The half rack is only temporary until I decide which full rack I want. My two issues are adding height and wind noise.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Thanks James. Attach lights to the awning or the rack? The half rack is only temporary until I decide which full rack I want. My two issues are adding height and wind noise.
Rack. More like reverse/back up and camping lights i was hoping. That prinsu designs one looks awesome. And the group buy price is just right!

81 - 100 of 422 Posts