Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

101 - 120 of 470 Posts

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I've narrowed it down to baja mesh rack, Baja expedition rack or rhino platform rack.
Never seen that Rhino Rack Pioneer before and it looks well over built. The side mounting plates are machined very nicely, they have to be since it's a single mount on each side! Cool stuff man, I don't think you can go wrong. Side note: The pictures for their website are done very well. You won't find that from Baja Rack, let alone find high res pictures.

Also, not sure if it matters, but only some racks come in the 54+" width. Most of the Baja line up is 48" wide and kinda narrow for the FJ width IMO. Rhino seems to come in either choice if you go that route.

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Never seen that Rhino Rack Pioneer before and it looks well over built. The side mounting plates are machined very nicely, they have to be since it's a single mount on each side! Cool stuff man, I don't think you can go wrong. Side note: The pictures for their website are done very well. You won't find that from Baja Rack, let alone find high res pictures.

Also, not sure if it matters, but only some racks come in the 54+" width. Most of the Baja line up is 48" wide and kinda narrow for the FJ width IMO. Rhino seems to come in either choice if you go that route.

I can get the Baja expedition rack for $860 shipped so I am most likely going to go that route

·
Registered
190 Posts
Dude... that is a ridiculously awesome looking rig. Damn fine craftsmanship going on right there too :cheers:

Reactions: Loganbeere

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #110 (Edited)
Trails and Pics

Mojave Road Trip 3/31/17 to 4/2/17

3 days of offroading and 2 nights of camping.

138 miles off pavement

Had a lot of fun with 4 other SoCal guys​

Resting after setting up camp. The Dometic fridge and ARB awning were both very useful.

Traveler's monument​

Photobombing a group of jeeps​

Getting ready to cross the Mojave River

Water crossing video​

Drone footage courtesy of Vicrimo​

Couple of shots courtesy of Vicrimo​

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #113 (Edited)
I have had these Mastercraft Courser MXT tires for about 30k miles and now it's almost time to get new tires. Overall they did well off-road in all conditions. On-road the ride was soft and smooth for the most part. The tires were relatively quiet the first 10k miles but progressively became louder. Now towards the end of its life it howls on the highway which is my only gripe with these tires.

Getting a BMC done this weekend by Twelve1 and thinking about going with Nitto Ridge Grapplers or Falken Wildpeak AT3W in 285/75/17 size.

After going back and forth for awhile, I ordered a Bajarack low profile full mesh rack. Having sides looks better to my eye and is more functional to tie things down. This last Mojave trip made me realize there is not much room inside the FJ especially with recovery gear, firewood and a fridge so a full rack will help with this. If I ever decide to get a RTT I would mount it with these Yakima Universal SNAR Snap Arounds

·
Premium Member
8,023 Posts
After going back and forth for awhile, I ordered a Bajarack low profile full mesh rack.
:clap: Can't wait to see it on! I almost went with that one, but ended up with the utility. I think the Baja rack accessories are getting more and more expensive! $115 for axe and shovel mount and $60 for 4 tent plates. Any plans to mount your shovel on the rack? I might try and figure out something easy with knobs again once I have a shovel to throw on there.

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
:clap: Can't wait to see it on! I almost went with that one, but ended up with the utility. I think the Baja rack accessories are getting more and more expensive! $115 for axe and shovel mount and $60 for 4 tent plates. Any plans to mount your shovel on the rack? I might try and figure out something easy with knobs again once I have a shovel to throw on there.
:laugh Gonna look at accessories later but my priorities are to mount the arb awning and the hi lift first. Not sure about the zombie shovel yet. Nothing is cheap in the modding world. The L bracket I made for the arb awning didn't fare too well on the Mojave trip, it was bent and the awning was resting on the roof of the FJ.

I saw the bajarack tent plates in person and they look good. But I am gonna go this route if I get a RTT http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...8-baja-rack-low-profile-tent.html#post2653898

I would be interested to see what you come up with as far as mounting brackets for everything

My build is heading more into overlanding territory now:grin

·
Premium Member
8,023 Posts
I used these.
Allstar ALL14187 Black Anodized Aluminum Ballast Bracket for 1.75" Round Tubing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006K8YX3G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_wdb-ybZ0GBHJT
I think you can get different diameters.
Sweet! Yeah I could probably build something off of that. 1" tubing for the outside perimeter of the Baja rack so yeah it comes in the right size. I could use quickfists too I suppose, I guess they'd hold a shovel pretty good? I'd just be a little paranoid with the quickfist not being the strongest.

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
Sweet! Yeah I could probably build something off of that. 1" tubing for the outside perimeter of the Baja rack so yeah it comes in the right size. I could use quickfists too I suppose, I guess they'd hold a shovel pretty good? I'd just be a little paranoid with the quickfist not being the strongest.

Used these to make shovel mounts with quick fists a few years ago. Still holding strong.

·
Registered
13 Posts
"Getting a BMC done this weekend by Twelve1 and thinking about going with Nitto Ridge Grapplers or Falken Wildpeak AT3W in 285/75/17 size."

The Ridge Grapplers look awesome! But they are crazy expensive. I just ordered a set of the Wildpeak AT3Ws today. With the Falkens, I was able to get Discount Tire to price match an Amazon.com listing. Good luck deciding on tires!

101 - 120 of 470 Posts