Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

121 - 140 of 422 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
"Getting a BMC done this weekend by Twelve1 and thinking about going with Nitto Ridge Grapplers or Falken Wildpeak AT3W in 285/75/17 size."

The Ridge Grapplers look awesome! But they are crazy expensive. I just ordered a set of the Wildpeak AT3Ws today. With the Falkens, I was able to get Discount Tire to price match an Amazon.com listing. Good luck deciding on tires!
I like both but the sidewalls on the ridge grapplers look the best of all the AT tires. It's like $300 per tire with the size that I want. Falkens would be the more reasonable choice.

·
Premium Member
7,232 Posts
When you install that Baja Rack be careful. I just noticed the other day on mine in between the slots of the rear passenger mounting area the powdercoat is bubbly underneath from corrosion. I assume this is from the edge of that washer nicking the powdercoat. This is the only area on my entire rack like that so I don't think it a bad powdercoat job, just a bad job of me installing it. Just make sure the washers are situated evenly and the rack is straight before tightening everything up.

Other than that it's been a great rack. I even rested it against a tree (same time I broke my taillight) and the powdercoat took it like a champ with only a few scratches. :rofl: I plan on adding more accessories to mine soon.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #124 (Edited)
When you install that Baja Rack be careful. I just noticed the other day on mine in between the slots of the rear passenger mounting area the powdercoat is bubbly underneath from corrosion. I assume this is from the edge of that washer nicking the powdercoat. This is the only area on my entire rack like that so I don't think it a bad powdercoat job, just a bad job of me installing it. Just make sure the washers are situated evenly and the rack is straight before tightening everything up.

Other than that it's been a great rack. I even rested it against a tree (same time I broke my taillight) and the powdercoat took it like a champ with only a few scratches. :rofl: I plan on adding more accessories to mine soon.

Thanks for the heads up. After I ordered it, I keep seeing posts about the bad powdercoating that bajaracks have :surprise

·
Premium Member
7,232 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. After I ordered it, I keep seeing posts about the bad powder coating that bajaracks have :surprise
Yeah thats the one problem that people seem to complain about. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I almost went aluminum but none of the racks really caught my eye, and I saw a GB going for Baja and was sold.

·
Registered
355 Posts
That's a clean BMC, how much did he charge and where is he located? I feel the same way about letting anyone but me do work on our kids.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Don't worry about the scratching n rusting. I've had mine for almost 2 years and haven't had any problems. I've thrown wood to drywall and other building material at it.

Remember we got a lil airborne when we did the Mojave. The rtt didn't even scratch it at all.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #130 (Edited)
Removed the old flimsy ones and fitted these Rad Rubber Designs engine splash guard. Big thanks to Doug for gifting me these.

I called to inquire about my bajarack and was told maybe June or July before I will get the rack. I guess it's off-road season and they have a lot of orders.

Took my wife in the FJ to do some mall crawling today and she complained that the mud terrain tires were too loud and she cannot hear her music. Instant spousal approval for new tires. I placed an order for Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/75/17 E tires today. Best price I could find was $278/tire delivered.

·
Premium Member
7,232 Posts
Took my wife in the FJ to do some mall crawling today and she complains the mud terrain tires are too loud and she cannot hear her music. Instant spousal approval for new tires. I placed an order for Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/75/17 E tires today. Best price I could find was $278/tire delivered.
Good choice, can't wait to see the 285/75's on there! Gonna look sweet, and still be easy to fit.

How many total miles do you think you could've squeezed out of the MXT's?

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Good choice, can't wait to see the 285/75's on there! Gonna look sweet, and still be easy to fit.

How many total miles do you think you could've squeezed out of the MXT's?

I was just looking back at my records. By the way for all those who don't know, you can use the Toyota owners app to look at previous dealer services on your FJ and add your own service records. This is how I keep track of all the maintenance I have done on my truck. I have about 27k miles on these tires. I guess I am running a little high on tire pressure (40psi front and 38psi rear) because the center tread is wearing a little faster than the sides. I can probably go another 7-10k miles and I will probably use it for another 3-5k miles before I switch to the Nitto's (the prices keep going up on these Nittos so I am buying them now while I can get a good price on them). To be honest, these tires are great off-road. Never been stuck. Good grip in pretty much all terrain. Even ran over a couple of nails and pulled them out of the thick lugs and there was no leak. They are just loud at this point. If they weren't loud then I may consider going with them again in a little bigger size.

I was set on getting the rare 285/75/17 tire size (34") so my choices were limited. Hopefully these Nittos are good.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #133 (Edited)
Cargo Area/Fridge Tie Down Rail System Version 2.0

I had removed my rear seats because I was hauling some stuff for the new house and when I made my fridge tie down system the seats were off. Recently my wife asked me to put the rear seats back in for when we entertain our nieces and nephews. Well, the back seat wouldn't lock into place even with the fridge pushed as far to the rear as possible....

Went to Home Depot and found these metal angled pieces with lots of holes and slots

I just cut them to size and secured them with the factory holes using M6 bolts.

The factory tie down points behind the fridge is on a slope. I added couple of these spacers I had laying around to level it

Now I have plenty of room to lock the rear seat backs into place and for the fridge. This looks better, is stronger and has multiple holes along the length for flexibility to tie down anything in the rear cargo area.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,755 Posts
Cargo Area/Fridge Tie Down Rail System Version 2.0

I had removed my rear seats because I was hauling some stuff for the new house and when I made my fridge tie down system the seats were off. Recently my wife asked me to put the rear seats back in for when we entertain our nieces and nephews. Well, the back seat wouldn't lock into place even with the fridge pushed as far to the rear as possible....

Went to Home Depot and found these metal angled pieces with lots of holes and slots

I just cut them to size and secured them with the factory holes using M6 bolts.

The factory tie down points behind the fridge is on a slope. I added couple of these spacers I had laying around to level it

Now I have plenty of room to lock the rear seat backs into place and for the fridge. This looks better, is stronger and has multiple holes along the length for flexibility to tie down anything in the rear cargo area.

Looks nice! But I miss the red....might want to consider a color correction?? :grin :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #140 (Edited)
ENGO XR10 Winch Install

My Vipermax winch was acting up...mainly the clutch handle wouldn't engage so I got a new winch. Went with the newer style of the ENGO winches. This one has a waterproof rating of IP68.

My trailworx bumper is a tight fit for any winch. Keeping the winch solenoid on top would mean that I would have to notch the grill.

I used to mount the winch solenoid here but wanted less objects to block the radiator and also I have hella supertone horns to mount there

The new ENGO winch solenoid box looks sleek and is all metal construction but is not big enough to fit the wireless remote receiver (extra add on purchase) inside.

So I copied Zero's FJ and bought a waterproof electrical junction box from amazon and made my own winch solenoid box. Glad to see ENGO has the new contactor solenoid vs the older 2 trash can solenoid style. Made a bracket that would be sandwiched under the battery like Zero's FJ and also mounted my solenoid for my winch kill switch.

After all the proper connections were made the ENGO winch fired up without a hiccup. Remote worked flawlessly. First impressions are that the winch is solidly built with all metal construction including the winch solenoid box. The clutch handle feels solid and engages easily. It is a little bit louder than my previous Vipermax winch but I guess that doesn't matter for recovery.

Upcoming mods....
Bajarack low profile full mesh rack
Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/75/17 E
King 650# front coil springs swap
Skyjacker rear sway bar links
Hella Supertone horns

121 - 140 of 422 Posts