Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
100% of my reason for purchasing the FJ was having a reliable vehicle for ghost town exploration, and especially one that will haul all of my photography equipment. So far, I'm in love with the truck! I've got a hi lift jack, and all the rescue equipment on order as well as a new CB and Icom 2 meter ham radio.

So my point to all of this...how many of you do ghost town exploration on the areas surrounding Vegas? I am planning on Leadfield within the next few weeks and hopefully Delamar (if I can get good directions to it) before summer gets here.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
A few of us from SCWFJ are doing a run to Tacopa mines on Saturday, come on out with us.

Tacopa mine run.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Looks fun but I'm claustrophobic big time.

I went into some tunnels recently on a MOUT site under a mock town started getting freaked out and hyperventilated. I thought my buddies were going to have to drag my fat ass out of there.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks fun but I'm claustrophobic big time.

I went into some tunnels recently on a MOUT site under a mock town started getting freaked out and hyperventilated. I thought my buddies were going to have to drag my fat ass out of there.
:lol:
I thought I would too, but actually after getting past the entrance to the mine I got all wrapped up in exploring and got over it. Although... I was ever cautious.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Delamar is pretty easy to find (assuming you found it on a map already). Coming in from the North is probably easier for navigating but it takes a lot longer coming from Vegas. From the South, the road is a little hard to find. There was, I think, an electrical substation or something on the North/East side of the main road and the dirt road toward Delamar goes out the back side of that. You pretty much follow the power lines across Delamar Dry Lake and then keep going North through the valley until you see a trail going to the east. I think there were a few of those but it seemed like they all ended up in the same place. Delamar is just over the hills. It's a very easy trip - all dirt road. You may not even need 4wd unless the road's washed out a little.

Edit: I just checked Google Maps and if you type Delamar in there it'll take you right to it. Hope that helps.

Also, check the history of the dry lake (if you're into aviation history at least). You may see it referred to as Texas Lake too since it sort of looks like Texas from the air.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
My County and neighboring counties are filled with ghost towns... in fact I live in one :rocker:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome Brian! Thanks!!
And yes, I am into aviation history. I work for an airline, and am a former LEO helicopter pilot. That will be interesting to read up on. Sounds like this will be an awesome trip!

Delamar is pretty easy to find (assuming you found it on a map already). Coming in from the North is probably easier for navigating but it takes a lot longer coming from Vegas. From the South, the road is a little hard to find. There was, I think, an electrical substation or something on the North/East side of the main road and the dirt road toward Delamar goes out the back side of that. You pretty much follow the power lines across Delamar Dry Lake and then keep going North through the valley until you see a trail going to the east. I think there were a few of those but it seemed like they all ended up in the same place. Delamar is just over the hills. It's a very easy trip - all dirt road. You may not even need 4wd unless the road's washed out a little.

Edit: I just checked Google Maps and if you type Delamar in there it'll take you right to it. Hope that helps.

Also, check the history of the dry lake (if you're into aviation history at least). You may see it referred to as Texas Lake too since it sort of looks like Texas from the air.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm up in Ely. We have tons around here. I have only been to a few of them, but Im looking forward to checking out a few like Hamilton come late spring or early summer.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Wow!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts