How long have you had it?
Any rust?
Any breakage?
Any squeeks?
How's the wind noise?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Duration- I've had mine for a year now. Been taken on two long road/expedition trips. Works perfect! Bungee cords fit the bars well for light loads along with ratchet straps for heavier loads.

Durabilty and Versatility- I've walked, jumped, fallen on top of this rack and no bending. (I do only weigh in the 120s though)

Rust- Absolutely none!

Wind noise- Ha! My BFG ATs make more noise than this rack and that's not much.

This thing is the best! You can waste your money on Gobi, ARB, etc and get the same thing. Save some $$$ dude, this economy sucks.

But if you've got money to throw away.......I'll glady help you with that:lol:

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
They haven't even been around that long have they?

-

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Type of Bajarack?
Original style basket rack with three pieces and comes with wind deflector, cargo net, etc.

bought it in March/April 09 or sometime around then...early spring of 2009. You can see for sure in my build thread.

Any rust?
nope, only where my metal tie downs and bungee cords rubbed the finish off during a trip to Ouray...my fault entirely. I took off basket part...wire brushed it...primed and painted over again...no problems.

Any breakage?
Nope never...and had the weight maxed out more than a few times on highway and offroad.

Any squeeks?
Nope never....solid and quiet...never an issue anywhere. Silicone in bolt holes when mounting...blue loctite on bolts that hold rack together...filled heads with grease to keep water from settling in there and rusting. Quiet on road and off...empty or full.

How's the wind noise?
Mine was quieter than the factory FJ rack...never hard a thing from it...I think it is because the fairing wraps around under neath to keep air from foiling behind the deflector...it is very quiet. You wont hear it over sound of wind on your windshield or tires...i never did.

best rack for the money in my opinion. will be buying one for my FJ60 when it is released.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Since July 2009.

Any rust?
One of the brackets has a big surface rust spot on it that looks like it was never coated. On of my bars has some very light rust on the end down close to the weld. Neither deserve any concern, but I need to fix them up before they get that way.

Any breakage?
None.

Any squeeks?
None.

How's the wind noise?
About the same as the factory rack until you get a 35-40 mph cross wind. Then it gets loud.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
This thing is the best! You can waste your money on Gobi, ARB, etc and get the same thing. Save some $$$ dude, this economy sucks.

But if you've got money to throw away.......I'll glady help you with that:lol:

Very shortsighted there. ARB & GOBI racks are both great build quality as well and definitely not the same thing as a BAJA Rack

The Baja rack is great deal for the price, but you are comparing a multiple piece steel design with a a single piece steel gobi rack. The advantage of the baja is that it is light weight&cheap to ship and does a great job as far as storage goes, but it is in no way going to be as robust as a single piece steel rack nor the same build quality since it is composed of multiple pieces.

Bajarack seems to have some of the best customer service out there thats for sure.

Functionally the rack is great, but to say that it is the same thing as ARB or GOBI isn't exactly the truth.

·
Registered
652 Posts
For the average person, I believe it is.

If you want to pack an extreme load up there, I would say go ARB or Gobi. But why would anyone who wants to hit the dirt want to. You would be way too top heavy.

Most people are just looking for a little extra cargo capacity. In this case, I DO believe they are all the same

·
Registered
624 Posts

If you want to pack an extreme load up there, I would say go ARB or Gobi. But why would anyone who wants to hit the dirt want to. You would be way too top heavy.

Most people are just looking for a little extra cargo capacity. In this case, I DO believe they are all the same
Well then go on with your bad self. Just remember "quality remains long after the price is forgotten", Sir Henry Royce.

On a side note, I've had the ARB for almost 4 years now and haven't had a single issue with anything that has been placed up top (i.e rust, loading, etc. etc). Yeah, a little noise...but anyone who says it's nill is either lying or they don't have a rack.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts

Have you actually seen the racks side by side to even compare? Yes you can probably toss more on the GOBI, but the limiting factor is the roof load rating so it doesn't really matter either way. I am refering to an actual materials and build comparison which is not the same.

I think Cruiserlarry summed it up best in this thread http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/97545-gobi-baja-why-6.html

While the Baja Rack is a excellent product, it's not in the same league, IMO, as the Gobi - in design, materials, or aesthetics. To be fair, though, it's not in the same price class, either.

The Gobi Racks use heavier gauge materials, sturdier mounting brackets, a tighter mesh floor, have better clearance, are contoured specifically to the FJ roof - both in width and length, use a two powder over zinc paint process, has built-in welded cross bars for Thule and Yakima accessories, and can be ordered custom fit for a variety of different light sizes, and options, incl sunroof openings and spare tire mounts. And the Stealth rack actually gives you better clearance than the factory roof rack while increasing load capacity and functionality.

Both are good products - but you get what you pay for, IMO...
Baja rack is a great product and everyone who has one loves them. I've only seen one or two issues pop up in regards to the rack being damaged in shipping, but bajarack always took care of the customer and it sounded like the issue with UPS had been resolved. Just providing a more accurate comparison than "everythings the same" which it isn't.

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
The BajaRack is not made of aluminum. It has an aluminum windshield, otherwise it's welded carbon steel. They also made a EXP version rack that is one piece. I guess it depends on which one you have.
IF there s to be a true review, each poster should state which product they have at the beginning
I have the one Piece Expo Rack
I have had it since April on 09
Packaged nice, large box with rack plastic wrapped, SS mounting hardware included.
Install was easy with great directions.
It has never leaked.
No rust, but I live in AZ.
Wind noise is no worse than any other rack out including the factory.
It holds my Camping Labs RTT with no issues. I like the sleek design keeping the RTT as low as possible.
I have been very pleased with my BajaRack
Customer service makes BajaRack shine bright. They are just regular guys with great personalities. Those things will make me come back to purchase other products from them and recommend others, which I do.
thanks
Don

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
The BajaRack is not made of aluminum. It has an aluminum windshield, otherwise it's welded carbon steel. They also made a EXP version rack that is one piece. I guess it depends on which one you have.
IF there s to be a true review, each poster should state which product they have at the beginning
Don

Sorry for the assumption on my part. When I had viewed the Bajarack I thought it was aluminum construction on my part. Poor assumption and I should have looked more into it.

I own a GOBI and have seen ARB & Baja's as well.

I think that the OP will be quite happy with the bajarack overall as I have heard no major complaints about them.

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
I wasn't trying to call you out. I just figured BajaRack would have liked that corrected for the record. I've made some assumptions, I got corrected on as well. Thanks for the reply. The good people hear, talk things out and come to logical conclusions, when it's appropriate
Thanks
Don

·
Forum Detective
2,273 Posts
The Baja rack is great deal for the price, but you are comparing a multiple piece aluminum design with a a single piece steel gobi rack. The advantage of the baja is that it is light weight and does a great job as far as storage goes, but it is in no way going to be as robust as a steel rack nor the same build quality since it is composed of multiple pieces.
I have the normal Bajarack and it is one piece. The website says they are 3, but I believe that is outdated as mine came in 1 piece (one of the reasons I bought it)

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
I wasn't trying to call you out. I just figured BajaRack would have liked that corrected for the record. I've made some assumptions, I got corrected on as well. Thanks for the reply. The good people hear, talk things out and come to logical conclusions, when it's appropriate
Thanks
Don
No offense taken at all and I am glad you clarified as I don't want to pass incorrect information around. I actually went back and removed aluminum from my post and replaced it with steel. I appreciate the clarification as I didn't want to misrepresent bajaracks product.

·
Registered
572 Posts
fjnewb, the rack is available as a 3 piece, they were first made this way to reduce shipping costs. We now have our shipping issues resolved and can ship the one piece racks for the same price. The three piece is still cheaper to ship for our european market. When the Bajarack was being designed we took input from the members of this forum and tried to build a rack that would fit the FJ and its capabilities. I think that it is in the same league as the other racks. With design, heavier dosen't necessarily mean stronger. Our racks include (2) wind deflectors and a cargo net at no extra cost. I know your thread was trying to get some feedback about Bajarack racks and it turned into a comparison, so I hope you get more feedback from all of our customers. And we are a supporting vendor on this board. Thanks for your thread. Cris

·
Registered
652 Posts
Newb, sorry if I insulted your rack. I was merely trying to express that I am really pleased with my BajaRack and wouldn't change my decision.

I do have the three piece and it has held up exceptionally well. When installed, you can't even tell any weakness of it being a 3-piece.

To each his own. As long as you share interest in our beloved FJ you're cool with me. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I have one of the first ones ever made... installed it on my truck in June '08 and it's a bit older than that. My impression hasn't changed one bit - great rack!

Mine has been through some pretty insane abuse, too... :D

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Newb, sorry if I insulted your rack.
I'm not offended or insulted at all. I just felt that the OP was asking questions in regards to the bajarack specifically which was then compared to other racks and not necessarily represented appropriately. I just wanted to clarify some of the differences I had seen first hand between the racks which illustrates the price difference.

I looked hard at the bajaexpedition rack before purchasing my GOBI rack. I think bajarack makes an excellent product and their customer service is some of the best in the business. Sorry to bajarack and the OP for dragging this thread into a comparison. End of my threadjack:cheers:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.