Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody.

Sorry for my bad English, It was a long time since I wrote in the forum, although I follow the forum.

I have already introduced myself at the time, I want to say again, that my name is Ramon and I own a 2008 FJ that I bought new in Miami, but I export it to Spain because it is where I live and in Europe the FJ has never been sold.

The truth is still as in love with the car as the day I bought it and I have traveled many miles, on the road as Off road without any breakdown and it has taken us to incredible Countries and spectacular places and I have always performed the maintenance indicated by Toyota and always in an official dealer.

I write in the forum, because the car for a month ago, between 2000 and 2600 rpm gives small pulls, as if there was a very small loss of power but it shows and the speed motor count falls a bit.

This happens at any speed and in any gear.

The car outside that speed range is perfect and I have not noticed any power drop and the ECU does not give any mechanical failure.

Although this engine is the same as European cars, I do not see the intention of solving my problem by Toyota Europe, (only interested in European car owners, so the myth that Toyota is a great brand in all the world .....), although the Dealer does everything possible but does not find the fault.

We have cleaned the entire air intake system including the Valve, we have disassembled the lambda sensors and placed new ones, it has improved somewhat but it continues with that fault. I have also changed spark plugs and found that it is not a problem with gasoline.

Please, if anyone knows anything about this fault and can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for everything, greetings to all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello everyone. I have seen that nobody has responded to my post, I am a little overwhelmed because I can not find anyone who can give me a solution to the problem with the push of the car, please see if anyone sees my post and gives me some help .
Thank you all

·
Registered
295 Posts
If there are no ODB codes, then if I had to take a guess, it may be that you are feeling the effects of the timing retarding from the knock sensor engaging which makes the power delivery somewhat uneven, especially in that rev range. The 2008 owners manual calls for minimum 91 octane ((R+M)/2) which corresponds with a minimum 96 RON (Research Octane Number) which I believe is how gas is rated in Europe.

Even on my 2013 FJ, if I put in "regular" gas, the power delivery isn't smooth with larger throttle inputs in the 2000rpm area. If I use the high octane gas, then power deliver is nice and smooth. I suspect that with the high compression engines in the FJ, that there is some light knock or ping that the knock sensor picks up and then the ECU retards the timing temporarily which cuts the power a little leading to the pulsing you are feeling.

Section 6.1 of the 2008 manual says that you can use 87 octane (91 RON) if higher octane gas is unavailable, but probably you shouldn't expect it to run as smoothly.

The manual also says:
"You may occasionally notice light knocking for a short time while accelerating or driving uphill. This is normal and there is no need for concern."

Perhaps run a few tanks of the highest octane rating fuel you have in your area and see if it smooths out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for your answer FJ-6MT

The truth is that I had not thought that this could be the problem, because from the first moment I refueled 95 because it is the most commonly used gasoline in Europe and I have always traveled with it without any problem, but it is true, that since Some time the regulations have changed in terms of the amount of ethanol that fuels carry and now that I remember, this has happened to me a few months ago, so you can be quite right in your diagnosis.

I am going to try to use a good season 98 gasoline and I will expose my results around here in case someone could happen the same.

Thanks again because I also see that you are a person with very good knowledge. The only pity I have is that every time I see this forum or travel to your excellent country, I am dying to be a member of one of the FJ clubs and make routes through that exciting country or maybe, one day a hangout of FJ Toyotas worldwide in Spain and we also make beautiful routes here. :smile

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
If there are no ODB codes, then if I had to take a guess, it may be that you are feeling the effects of the timing retarding from the knock sensor engaging which makes the power delivery somewhat uneven, especially in that rev range. The 2008 owners manual calls for minimum 91 octane ((R+M)/2) which corresponds with a minimum 96 RON (Research Octane Number) which I believe is how gas is rated in Europe.

Even on my 2013 FJ, if I put in "regular" gas, the power delivery isn't smooth with larger throttle inputs in the 2000rpm area. If I use the high octane gas, then power deliver is nice and smooth. I suspect that with the high compression engines in the FJ, that there is some light knock or ping that the knock sensor picks up and then the ECU retards the timing temporarily which cuts the power a little leading to the pulsing you are feeling.

Section 6.1 of the 2008 manual says that you can use 87 octane (91 RON) if higher octane gas is unavailable, but probably you shouldn't expect it to run as smoothly.

The manual also says:
"You may occasionally notice light knocking for a short time while accelerating or driving uphill. This is normal and there is no need for concern."

Perhaps run a few tanks of the highest octane rating fuel you have in your area and see if it smooths out.
Section 6.1 of the '08 manual doesn't actually say anything about rough or smooth running.

If you are experiencing "rough running" of your '13 between 2000 and 2,600 RPM, I suggest that there is something else going on, and you might want to connect an OBDII monitor so you can see real-time ignition timing and commanded vs measured fuel-air ratios. The 2,000 - 2,600 RPM range is really in the middle of the 1GR-FE's operating speed "sweet spot" (~2,000 - 3,200 RPM), and "rough running" of your 2013 in this speed range under any load condition is not typical or normal when burning any gasoline that actually meets 87 octane specs.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Section 6.1 of the '08 manual doesn't actually say anything about rough or smooth running.
I should have phrased that differently to be more clear. The 2008 manual says that you can use 87 octane if 91 isn't available. The part after the comma was my opinion.

My FJ doesn't run rough on 87, i.e. it isn't missing, sputtering, shaking, etc, but has the feeling of slight surging at constant throttle in that rev region. Using 91 to 94 octane fuel has the acceleration be completely smooth. I have a ScanGuage II. Next time I use 87 gas, I'll watch the ignition timing to see if it retards corresponding to the slight unevenness in the power delivery.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I should have phrased that differently to be more clear. The 2008 manual says that you can use 87 octane if 91 isn't available. The part after the comma was my opinion.

My FJ doesn't run rough on 87, i.e. it isn't missing, sputtering, shaking, etc, but has the feeling of slight surging at constant throttle in that rev region. Using 91 to 94 octane fuel has the acceleration be completely smooth. I have a ScanGuage II. Next time I use 87 gas, I'll watch the ignition timing to see if it retards corresponding to the slight unevenness in the power delivery.
I don't know if a ScanGuage II allows you to log data for later analysis, but also of interest would be:
1. The maximum ignition timing advance you ever see;
2. The relative throttle position at the onset of the surging;
3. The ignition timing advance at the onset of the "surging" you feel, and how far back the ECU retards the timing;
4. The commanded and actual fuel-air ratios during the surging
5. The odometer reading, and if you have ever replaced the fuel-air sensors

1 - 7 of 7 Posts