Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
fka rsidey
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way into work this morning something DESTROYED my windshield. I never saw it coming but I'm guessing that it came from the other side of the highway because it hit with enough force to spray the interior (and me) with glass. Has anyone else had something similar to this happen? I consider myself extremely lucky that none of it got in my eyes. I'm a firm believer that vision is an integral part of driving at a high rate of speed. Needless to say - I am now FULLY awake.
I should have taken a picture to show just how much glass got blown about. I was (and still am) shocked.

Now on to replacement which I'm sure ain't cheap....yay.

·
fka rsidey
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, it blew out the windshield? Do you have any idea what hit? Were you driving under a bridge when it happened? Glad your okay, that must have been scary.
It almost looks like a bullet hole but had it been I'd be hit because it was right in front of me.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Not wanting to sound like an alarmist, but I would take the FJ to the nearest PD and let them have a look first...explain what happened and where. If it was a 'gunshot' then let them do what they have to so it doesn't happen again even if it was an 'accidental' shoot!

Next time someone might not be as lucky as you were!

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Holy crap. I was riding shotgun in a buddy's F-250 several years ago when then window in my door did the same thing. It scared the freakin' s#!& outta me and we never figured out what happened - nothing but glass entered the truck. Glad to hear you're okay.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
A buddy had a small base ball size rock go through his windshield and into the back seat of his car several years ago.. he pased a rock truck coming from the other direction...it missed his head barely.. took him ahwile to get to were he didnt freak everytime a rock truck passed

·
fka rsidey
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealership is telling me that the glass is $1,149.42 + $362.23 for upper molding??? (That's why I would never get a windshield from a dealer)
To me - that's more scary than the freakin break.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
You don't have insurance? Glass replacement insurance should be mandatory for the FJ. :) good luck

·
fka rsidey
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You don't have insurance? Glass replacement insurance should be mandatory for the FJ. :) good luck
I have it through Travelers which in GA the replacement is subject to the deductable.

The dealership is saying that the upper molding "almost always has to be replaced". They quoted $362.23. I spoke with the glass guys that do my work trucks and they quoted $312.00 (at cost) for that same molding. With them that is more than the replacement glass.

Does anyone have experience with this that can tell me why it would have to be replaced along with the glass??

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Find a shop that has experience with FJs. If they are carefull, and know what they are doing you can re use the moulding. I had my windsheild installed for less than $300.:cheers:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Where in GA are you located? If you're close to these guys I'd give them a call.
ACC Toyota Truck & Land Cruiser

If they don't do windshield replacement, they might be able to suggest who to go to. Pretty much the only guys in town I'd trust to do work on my FJ unless it was warranty work.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I have it through Travelers which in GA the replacement is subject to the deductable.

The dealership is saying that the upper molding "almost always has to be replaced". They quoted $362.23. I spoke with the glass guys that do my work trucks and they quoted $312.00 (at cost) for that same molding. With them that is more than the replacement glass.

Does anyone have experience with this that can tell me why it would have to be replaced along with the glass??
Find a shop that has experience with FJs. If they are carefull, and know what they are doing you can re use the moulding. I had my windsheild installed for less than $300.:cheers:
I've had my windshield replaced twice... never had the molding replaced. I lowered my windshield deductible to $50 after the 1st replacement... and chips/cracks repairs for free. That what you should do next.

But, you do not need a new molding. That sounds like a scam to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had my windshield busted by a lug nut from a big truck. A huge circular cracking but not broke all the way through. It looked like someone's head hit the windshield. Before I had time to get that repaired a rock broke it in another place. I had it fixed by one of the large companies that only fix windshields. They couldn't come to my work like I have done with other vehicles. I had to take it to their shop and leave it. My insurance covered the cost 100%.

·
fka rsidey
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where in GA are you located? If you're close to these guys I'd give them a call.
ACC Toyota Truck & Land Cruiser

If they don't do windshield replacement, they might be able to suggest who to go to. Pretty much the only guys in town I'd trust to do work on my FJ unless it was warranty work.
I did talk to those guys already (and you're spot on about their expertise) - they said the #'s I got are pretty accurate. They haven't had to put in an FJ windshield yet but from their understanding the molding gets damaged during removal. He said anyone that doesn't quote that into their price hasn't had experience enough to know better.

The best I could find was $320 which included the molding but I just about had to call in a favor to get it for that $$. And so everyone knows the upper molding costs $150 from the factory (I've been told by some that $312 was cost).

As bad as the straight up and down windshield is on the FJ - hopefully my research wil help someone else down the road.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I had this happen once in my old truck on the highway, but saw the rock at the last second. Glad you're ok! :) It's a scary experience for sure!

·
Registered
837 Posts
That sucks man. My windshield got smoked by a golf ball size rock a few months ago and they had to replace it. When they did mine they did have to replace the molding to.

·
Registered
127 Posts
A good friend is in the glass business. He states that on rare occasion, his company can salvage the upper moulding, but he prefers to use a new in order to gaurantee the install from wind noise and water leak. So, yes it can be done without replacing it, but to do it right you need to replace it.

·
fka rsidey
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A good friend is in the glass business. He states that on rare occasion, his company can salvage the upper moulding, but he prefers to use a new in order to gaurantee the install from wind noise and water leak. So, yes it can be done without replacing it, but to do it right you need to replace it.
That's exactly what my buddy that's doing the install said. 95% of the time was his exact quote. $150 added to the cost isn't easy to take but would much rather pay it now since I can get it at cost than not and have a leaky windshield down the road.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i own a glass shop in az the 150 dollar molding is a aftermarket in my experience they don't fit as well as the oe my cost on oe is 250.00. and yes 95% of the time the top molding can not be saved it is made out of thin metal and will bend upon removal. from the factory toyota glue's and clips it down as soon as you try to pull up on it. well it bends. also make sure they replace the clips on the fenders that attach your cowls they can not be saved period they will not clip properly ever again. who ever you choose make sure they have alot of fj's under there belt. good luck

·
Registered
899 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts