Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

My FJ opened the door to this new world of trails and overlanding to me and I'm really excited. I'm just curious what website/app is your go-to source for researching and planning trips. I'm looking for sources with reviews, ratings and details of the trail.

Btw, I live in Northern California and I can only do easy to medium trails because I have the family with me (wife and two kids; 3 and 1 yro). I'm also looking for more scenic trails with spots to setup for lunch. Sleeping, we'd have to do motels for now because of the baby :(

I was looking at trails.com in their OHV section. Is this a decent place to start? Is paying the $50 membership worth it?

Thanks all

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Go-to trail research app/website

Hey guys

My FJ opened the door to this new world of trails and overlanding to me and I'm really excited. I'm just curious what website/app is your go-to source for researching and planning trips. I'm looking for sources with reviews, ratings and details of the trail.

Btw, I live in Northern California and I can only do easy to medium trails because I have the family with me (wife and two kids; 3 and 1 yro). I'm also looking for more scenic trails with spots to setup for lunch. Sleeping, we'd have to do motels for now because of the baby :(

I was looking at trails.com in their OHV section. Is this a decent place to start? Is paying the $50 membership worth it?

Thanks all

·
Registered
81 Posts
IMHO, you should never have to pay when you have the Sierras to play in. I invested into this book and it has paid off nicely!
Im new to FJ but not new to the Sierras and Northern California. Over the past years, I have used Google Maps to kinda guide me to where i want to go and than it came down to finding and exploring forest service roads. Some are on google maps and some aren't but each FS road branches off to different unmapped roads. Sometimes on my days off where I dont have much going, I just go out and explore.

As for apps I use are Google maps and My Tracks. I use Google maps to get me to a general area and then use My Tracks to kinda find my away around to the fishing spots.

PM me if you have any questions

I just did this 2 days ago :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts