Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought Godzilla a couple months or so ago from my buddy James. He had already put an OME leaf spring lift and shocks on it and a set of 33” KM2s. He also put a new carb on it as well. Certainly a good start.

I just started working on the rig. I’ve put new motor mounts in, one was sheared. A new cap & rotor, fuel filters (already had new plugs and wires) and a complete de-smog got Zilla up and running well.

Here is what was removed for the de-smog. I also de-vained the smog air pump so all it is now is a fan belt tensioner.

This is typical Land Cruiser cancer. One of the long ago previous owners thought just filling some of it with Bondo and painting over it would do. No such luck. So I am in the process of grinding out the bondo, cutting out the rusted areas back to good metal and welding in patch panels. I have almost the entire back section over the back window done. More than half of that section had to be cut out and replaced.

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
Alright, another 60 build to bounce ideas off of. Hopefully I will have a pile of smog parts in my shed as well.

I really like the paint job.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
:werd: that hole sucks! I like the paintjob as well.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, another 60 build to bounce ideas off of. Hopefully I will have a pile of smog parts in my shed as well.

I really like the paint job.
The plugs to fill the holes in the head where the air pum injectors come out are 14 X 1.5 mm. I read that Ace hardware actually has them.

My buddy James did the distressed paint job. Heather named the rig Godzilla because of the green and the wild noises the air pump was making.

:werd: that hole sucks! I like the paintjob as well.
What hole? :) Patched it tonight.

Now these are holes, not for long I am on a roll

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went from this

To this

Sterring wheel cover is next

Working on a rear bumper with swing out as well

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
nice work!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I'm a little jealous. Very nice sir.

·
Premium Member
16,932 Posts
Looks good! Good luck with the rest of the work.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, just a little bit at a time. Doing the dash and steering wheel was kind of an eye candy thing. Nothing more depressing than sitting in the driver's seat looking at a nasty ripped up dash board. The new dash cover was only $122.00 to my door. Made a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
I've mentioned it before but I really like the distressed paint / patina finish.

I swear one of these my '62 Thunderbird is going to get the rat rod treatment.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was able to finish up all but the fuel can rack and the latch cam on the new tube bumper for the 60 series yesterday and got it installed this morning. The bumper can be built with or without a swing out. This swing out will have a removable 2 can rack and provisions for mounting a Hi-Lift jack as well.

The OEM rear cross member must be removed and is replaced with a 1.5” X 2.5” .188” wall rectangular tube in it’s place as part of the bumper. The bumper itself is far stronger than the OEM cross member but the rectangular tube also acts as the rear mounting point for the 2” receiver. There are also provisions for mounting recovery shackles that are .75” thick and mounted directly to the frame ends. The bumper mounts with 8- 1/2 ” grade 8 bolts and 12- grade 8 3/8” bolts. 8 of the 3/8” bolts replace the rivets that are drilled out of the rear most body mounts.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More pics

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm more than a little jealous, love the wheels!
Thanks, the wheels are FJC steelies with scull and crossbone rock rings on them. I am a fan of rock rings for sure, too many bent rims prior to using them.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Damn, Stan! Another FJ and another great start to a build. Gotta go look to see your 40 again......
Thanks Mike, my personal 40 is yard art currently, have not touched it since bringing it home. Th BJ42 project for a customer is coming alon, that is the white one. Still waiting for the balance of the roll bar kit to show up from Metal Tech, it's been 2 months now.

I am pushing on the 60 because it is the closest to being trail ready at this time. Once I get it situated I will turn my attention back to the truggy, I've not touched it in over 2 months :(

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very nice Stan! I remember you telling me about this build when we spoke.. It looks great! Keep it up!
Thanks, I'll be starting on the front bumper some time this coming week.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts