Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Going for a Colorado trip!

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  SilvFx 
#1 ·
Hey!
Me and some buddies are starting to plan a little overlanding trip to Colorado. We want to try our hand at it, see some cool sites, camp, hike, and have a great weekend. I have an '08 FJ with 2.5" OME lift, Nitro trail grapplers, JBA UCAs...so pretty basic. Looking to have some fun and not be in way over our heads. Any trails that you guys would suggest that we hit? Anything we should absolutely stay away from? Thanks for all the input!

#4 ·
#5 ·
Thanks @darkhorse13 for the recommend on COFJ :)

Looking to have some fun and not be in way over our heads. Any trails that you guys would suggest that we hit? Anything we should absolutely stay away from?
First thing to note, when you come to Colorado is almost as important as where you go once you're here. Some trails stay open all year (minus a few days for each snow storm), some trails don't open until mid/late July. If your schedule can accomodate it, July and August are the two best months to come out. June will limit your trail options, May will limit them even more.

If you let me know which direction you're coming from and the rough the date you'll be passing through I can design a route for you guys to hit some great trails. And if there's any way that you can be in Ouray the week of FJ Summit, I'll be there starting Saturday July 11th pre-running trails with other trail leaders. You and your group are welcome to tag along on any trails we do.

Feel free to private-message me here if you'd rather discuss that way, I'm happy to help.

#10 ·
Thanks @darkhorse13 for the recommend on COFJ :)

First thing to note, when you come to Colorado is almost as important as where you go once you're here. Some trails stay open all year (minus a few days for each snow storm), some trails don't open until mid/late July. If your schedule can accomodate it, July and August are the two best months to come out. June will limit your trail options, May will limit them even more.

If you let me know which direction you're coming from and the rough the date you'll be passing through I can design a route for you guys to hit some great trails. And if there's any way that you can be in Ouray the week of FJ Summit, I'll be there starting Saturday July 11th pre-running trails with other trail leaders. You and your group are welcome to tag along on any trails we do.

Feel free to private-message me here if you'd rather discuss that way, I'm happy to help.
You're the absolute MAN! Thank you very much.

#6 ·
p.s. I will be taking the Imogene shot this year with a drone (this is Imogene Pass near Ouray, CO), so anybody who wants in on that photo can tag along. Couldn't do it last year because the trail was still snowed in to the mine until Friday.

#7 ·
p.s. I will be taking the Imogene shot this year with a drone (this is Imogene Pass near Ouray, CO), so anybody who wants in on that photo can tag along. Couldn't do it last year because the trail was still snowed in to the mine until Friday.
James, it's John... I'll see if the Juniper guys want to tag along for this. When are you going?

#11 ·
You can't go wrong anywhere near silverton, Ouray or ridgeway area. Some of the best offroading in the world. As others have said, timing is everything as weather and snowfall will dictate which trails are available at any given time. We have been going to that area the first 2 weeks in July for over 35 years and only a few times were closures on the higher passes, as last year, but there is always other lower elevation areas that are also great. It is also only about 3 hours over to Moab, Utah from there which also has great wheeling.

#13 ·
Colorado native here. Can you clarify what you are talking about with the $25 yearly pass for BLM land? I am more of a dirt biker than 4 wheeler and I know that we pay $25.25 yearly for an OHV vehicle pass each year which covers National Forest Service and BLM land. By the way, I think there is way more forest service land than BLM....although I will say in the San Juans and portions of southern Colorado mountains seem to have a higher ratio of BLM to NFS land than other places in the state. In my mind, BLM land covers a whole lot of not so pretty rangelands and some mining claim areas (areas of the San Juans being the note-able exception).

To my understanding you can access via 4WD vehicle (licensed in any of our 50 states) any forest service road or BLM road (provided you are not in Wilderness Area or Wilderness Study Area) for free (or not additional cost beyond your annual licensing fee). You can also do dispersed camping for free. Maybe there is some type of other pass you are referencing that I havent heard of.

FYI...longstanding gripe from the offroaders (ATV, dirtbikes, probably SxS) is that we have to pay for OHV sticker each year but yet all the Jeepers and 4x4 guys arent required to do so. Colorado OHV folks have clarified that if you have a plated dirt bike and want to go on ATV trails (less than 50" width) or motorized singletrack you must have OHV stickers in addition to the license plate. Non-plated motorcycles, ATVs, SxS must have OHV sticker to operate on forest service roads (and only can be operated on those forest service roads where OHV traffic is allowed).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.