Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Boredom got the best of me, and the honey do list had to wait for one more day! I went out in search of Gold Butte and Copper City. Well, I at least foun Gold Butte! What a fun day. Almost 90 miles of off road travel and a few miles of hiking.

My first sight was some free range beef, with a milk chaser:

Then I had to do the flying FJ out the window view of the canyon:

Spectacular view:

Then I found the town site. Honestly, I was very disappointed to find all of the garbage and the fact that there wasn't a piece of anything that didn't have bullet holes in it!

Some of the equipment:

Then I went for a little hike so I could look back down at where the town was:

The last inhabitants?

With the backdrop, I envisioned my FJ more as some kind of moon rover:

Back down from my perch:

What I call a "man killer". Vertical shaft that I could not see the bottom of:

Headed out of town, in search of Copper City which I did not find today:

Nice sandstone along the wash out the way out (there are petroglyphs and an old cave dwelling right here!):

Bullet holes...I could not believe this!

All in all it was a beautiful day. Long ride off road, but well worth it. NOt too many really difficult obstacles, but I did find some really soft spots along the wash where I went into 4wd just to be safe. High clearance is a must, but I think you'd be safe in about any stock 4wd vehicle. I was able to pick up some of the 2M repeaters from Vegas but was unable to make contact with anyone. Definately one that I'll do again some day!

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Nice trip and pictures. did you go in the mine at all? I think I would have found a way in. I love exploring mines. Yeah out here in California everything has bullet holes or is vandalized to death. We come acrossed old mining sites or ghost towns and there are bullet holes everywhere. to bad.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Nice trip and pictures. did you go in the mine at all? I think I would have found a way in. I love exploring mines. Yeah out here in California everything has bullet holes or is vandalized to death. We come acrossed old mining sites or ghost towns and there are bullet holes everywhere. to bad.
There were about 6 different shafts. I was alone on this trip so I didn't go in. I do, believe me, I love that when I can! :)

Yeah, I doubt you can find a place that isn't shot to hell now. :(

·
Registered
952 Posts
How far outside LV is that area?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Any GPS coordinates or waypoints you could share?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sorry, but I didn't store the route as I ran it. :mecry:

But here is a link to a map:
Gold Butte Back Country Byway

GPS Coordinate: 36.278323,-114.183311

I -15 to NV 170 (Riverside Drive) As soon as you cross the river (coming in from the west end of Riverside) the road will turn off to your right. (GPS: 36.731799,-114.218137) It is pretty much unmarked. It will be somewhat paved for about the first 20 miles. Follow that until it turns into rock/gravel. You'll come to a fork in the road, and just stay on the right fork. In about 20 miles of that, you'll see a sign for the "Devils Throat" sink hole and Gold Butte. About 15 more miles and you'll come up on Gold Butte on your left.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please... to anyone who visits this area, be a good steward. Take out whatever trash you find. Be kind to the area. Gold Butte was once in danger of being closed to OHV traffic. (and honestly I can see why after my visit)

Have fun!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts