Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...there is some reason that I'm missing for getting the 6 speed. Here is my case:

- I'm getting the rear locker anyway
- I think I'd prefer the part time 4 wheel drive over full time
- The day may be coming soon where I will begin commuting and this will require some stop and go nonsense
- It apparently gets slightly better mileage???

The automatic I'm considering is Army green w/ the convenience and upgrade packages, roof rack, hitch and wiring harness and the passenger armrest.

If anyone has any advice or opinions to share, I'd greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
You will always find a proponent for both AT and for MT. Personally, I prefer AT. It's more practical for daily driving and I prefer it over MT for off road as well. However MT would seem to be a bit more fun when driving in the sand or mud. It's all preference man.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you do a lot of city driving get the AT . I love 4x4 Mt but after my last trip in dead stop traffic had to get an At . It's all about driving conditions / preference I don't believe ones better than the other having owned a 5 speed 4x4 4 runner . Get what meets your needs .

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
welcome.

auto is the way to go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input!

I've been wandering through some of the threads on here and it's making me even happier that I went with the FJ instead of something else...

I've been reading up on the FJ Summit (is it always held out of Ouray?) and it looks like what I imagine heaven must!

Thanks Again!!!

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Pretty happy with my AT. The AT in the FJ is far superior to what was in my TJ previously.

·
Premium Member
16,361 Posts

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
Love my AT. Drove standards for most of my life. Now my body is broken and busted and a standard is really a pain to drive so I went with the AT.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Pretty happy with my AT. The AT in the FJ is far superior to what was in my TJ previously.
Really good point. Seems that as recent as 2008 the Jeep still had a three speed 'slush pump' in them. Big reason to go manual in a Jeep, at least until recently.

To the OP;

If you like manuals, like the all-wheel-drive and don't mind the 18 highway, definitely get the manual.

If not, then......................................

..............get the auto! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
197 Posts
stick is for the track, are you going to race it? when you hear the call from the spotter "dont roll back or you going off the cliff" you will want that auto.. :) get a auto w part time 4x4.. not awd.. not 2x4...

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Swore by manual trannies for a long long time. Now I wouldn't own one again unless I had to.

Plus, with an auto, it's so much more easy to hold your beer and cell phone while cruising down the highway..... :rofl:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Swore by manual trannies for a long long time. Now I wouldn't own one again unless I had to.

Plus, with an auto, it's so much more easy to hold your beer and cell phone while cruising down the highway..... :rofl:

Steering with your knee, arn'cha? :cheers:

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you guys can't drink coffee, eat a breakfast burrito, and check your email while driving a MT and keeping it from rolling backwards off a cliff, you're not doing MTs right. :lol:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts