Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im wonderin when the next TOGA tech day is gonna be, cause I gotta some mods on the way and Im gonna need some help w the installs. Heres the list of stuff being shipped in the next couple weeks:
-RC 3" lift
-Tuffy light bar
-6 lights for the bar
-2 lights for my bull bar
-2 back up lights
-an secondary fuse box for all the lights
-FJ Cruiser door decals that go the length of the truck
-possibly Bushwacker Fender Flares, I might wait for the new style though

the RC is kinda simple and straight forward and is something I can do myself. the thing thats gonna be the problem is the lights. Im in no way an electrical guru and I wanna do something mildly complex. Im in the process of fabbin a control box to mount all the switches for the lights. Basically I want to be able to turn on the 6 roof lights in groups of 2, so 3 switches. obviously a switch for the bull bar lights, and then I want to have the back up lights turn on when its in reverse but also have a switch so I can turn em on at will. Im sure that I could figure all of it out and do it myself but tech days are so much more fun, plus I get the vast ocean of knowledge from all of you toga members to help me (also Im very nervous about pullin apart my roof rack and drillin into my roof). I wont have all of this stuff for about a month or so but Im just tryin to figure things out in advance or get an idea . If it helps coax some of you guys I can bring food food food... and depending on the location brewskis :cheers:
Jason

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Don't know when the next tech day is, but if I were to do a 6 light(3 stage) roof bar, then I would use one stock switch to do all of it and not have an ugly 3 switch controller box.
This is how I would make it:
1st push = 2 lights
2nd push = 4 lights
3rd push = 6 lights
4th push = All Off

long push = ALL on (if all lights are off)
another long push = ALL off (if any combination of lights are on)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Bone check your PM's! No need for a Tech Day. I got you covered.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SwiCago thanks for the advice, Id never thought of that. The only reason why I was leanin towards the 3 switch setup is cause Im a huge fan of the fighter jet/missile launcher switches w the flip down over, and I have a pile of em I got off ebay for dirt cheap (that and Id have no idea how to wire up what your describin).

and Phil, I just gotta say your are the poster child for what this forum is all about. At the last tech day you spent the entire time wrenchin on someone elses truck, didnt complain or anything about not goin out on the trails; and again youre ready and roarin to go about helpin out another forum member with your own time and knowledge to get their FJ to another level.
My Grandpa has this thing he says to guys like you:
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar, if only the world had more like you.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
YW Jason! I've been fortunate enough over the years to get help when I needed it. Just a way of paying it back I suppose.

I'm itching for mud soon! I need a play date and am thinking about McCaslin.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Jason.....I live in your neck of the woods....If you need a garage to work in let me know...I have tools, Phil said he would come over and help!

Brian

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brian, sounds great and thanks a million. Its one of those things where Ive got the tools and the time but Id probably find a way to blow my FJ up and electrocute myself at the same time. Ill let you know when Ive got everything and when Im free (retail sucks so I dont get a lot of time off). Again thanks
Jason

1 - 7 of 7 Posts