Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
depends on how much you want to spend and how you want to install. There are quite a few under $75 that are suitable like Cobra 75, Midland models, etc

·
Registered
832 Posts
Looking for a good CB for a beginner. Any and all information would be helpful.
Thanks
Your antenna is the important part. Do that part right, antenna, mount, coax, and anything will talk.
On the flip side you could have the biggest baddest radio and with a crap antenna you'll be lucky to talk down the street.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I can entertain both....but im will say leaning towards removable
Feel free to PM me and I can explain all the nuances of different radios to you. If you want removeable, the Midland 75-822 is the way to go. BUT... with any radio, you will need a first class antenna system. I generally install the Bandi mount and the 4ft Firefly antenna with a spring and quick disconnect. The firefly is a bit lighter so less mass to fly around on the trail.

The 75-822 is the best that I have found for performance and has become popular among many of the people that I deal with because they don't want a radio in the truck all the time. When you are not on the trail, you can simply disconnect it and put it away. Tuck the coax away and no one knows it has ever been there. With the QD on the antenna, you can remove it and store it away as well.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I got the midland 75-822 and very happy with it total instal time was about hour. If you go nicks route which is the same set up as I have you can pm me as well if you have questions about it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Again...thanks guys
I love this forum!!!!
Hey man, I put the Midland in mine and ordered from Vegas_Nick. You can check mine out if you want before you decide to buy. I've got the sort of installation you're probably looking to do anyway and I've got an SWR meter we can use too, so no need to buy one unless you want one.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey man, I put the Midland in mine and ordered from Vegas_Nick. You can check mine out if you want before you decide to buy. I've got the sort of installation you're probably looking to do anyway and I've got an SWR meter we can use too, so no need to buy one unless you want one.

Thanks Troy.....

Buckeye FJs rule!!!

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts

Hey Guys,
I too just installed this set up, kind of curious how you mounted the handset when it is in your cab. I see the belt clip on the back but I thought it would come with something like the cobra set up.

Thanks, Marc

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Hey Guys,
I too just installed this set up, kind of curious how you mounted the handset when it is in your cab. I see the belt clip on the back but I thought it would come with something like the cobra set up.

Thanks, Marc
Hey ICE,

I actually didn't mont it at all yet. I just lay it on the passenger seat. I only use the cb when I don't have anyone in the truck. However, I'll likely mount it on the side of the console near me or on my MPAC straddle rack. I'm saving the front for my HAM radio once I have a chance to get my ticket.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts