Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you have read in the thread the below, our friend Sean Sykora (thekeeper) severely injured his eye when an off road light exploded in his eye:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/texas/125760-everyone-please-keep-thekeeper-your-thoughts-prayers.html

Sean has spent the time since then in a lot of pain and unable to work or even be on the forum due to his injury. Since he is self-employed, not being able to work means not being able to generate income for himself and the mounting medical bills. Fortunately, Sean and his wife (Melissa) have medical insurance that will cover most of the cost at 80% coverage, but the remainder is still substantial and will increase with the additional surgeries that Sean may need have. Sean has had a recent doctor appointment where they did a CT scan and are waiting for the results, but the suspicion is there may still be some fragments in the eye because Sean is still in a lot of pain. This may require another surgery and there has been talk of a corneal transplant in the future. It is going to be a long road to recovery and that means a lot of time lost at work.

For those of you that have wheeled with or enjoyed meeting Sean, you know he is a fun loving, generous, caring and an all around great guy. He has always gone the extra mile to help a friend (both on and off road) and I am asking that we all do the same. I have set up a donation fund that will go directly to Sean and Melissa to help out with the lost wages and medical bills. Your help is greatly appreciated, so please share whatever you can. Remember, this could have happened to any one us that like to work on our own trucks, so please consider if this had happened to you and the impact it would have. Time to pay if forward people, I can honestly say Sean and Melissa would do it for you if the circumstances were reversed.

I hope the best possible outcome for Sean and am praying that he can be well enough to make it to the summit this year....or his friends will miss him a lot!

I have set up a donation account on Paypal for Sean:

Paypal payment instructions:
1) Click "Send Money" tab
2) Click "Personal" tab
3) Click "Gift" radio button (personal gifts are not charged a handling fee on either end)

4) Put in: [email protected] For email

5) Put in your amount.

Thank you everyone, this forum and community is wonderful and I have no doubt of the generosity and human spirit that exists here.

God Bless.:)

·
Premium Member
9,334 Posts
Thanx Graham for doing this for Sean and Melissa. I have met some great people on this forum. It is amazing how a vehicle has brought so many people together. I have added a link to my signature and will be making a donation.

·
Cool Breeze
517 Posts
As many of you have read in the thread the below, our friend Sean Sykora (thekeeper) severely injured his eye when an off road light exploded in his eye:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/texas/125760-everyone-please-keep-thekeeper-your-thoughts-prayers.html

Sean has spent the time since then in a lot of pain and unable to work or even be on the forum due to his injury. Since he is self-employed, not being able to work means not being able to generate income for himself and the mounting medical bills. Fortunately, Sean and his wife (Melissa) have medical insurance that will cover most of the cost at 80% coverage, but the remainder is still substantial and will increase with the additional surgeries that Sean may need have. Sean has had a recent doctor appointment where they did a CT scan and are waiting for the results, but the suspicion is there may still be some fragments in the eye because Sean is still in a lot of pain. This may require another surgery and there has been talk of a corneal transplant in the future. It is going to be a long road to recovery and that means a lot of time lost at work.

For those of you that have wheeled with or enjoyed meeting Sean, you know he is a fun loving, generous, caring and an all around great guy. He has always gone the extra mile to help a friend (both on and off road) and I am asking that we all do the same. I have set up a donation fund that will go directly to Sean and Melissa to help out with the lost wages and medical bills. Your help is greatly appreciated, so please share whatever you can. Remember, this could have happened to any one us that like to work on our own trucks, so please consider if this had happened to you and the impact it would have. Time to pay if forward people, I can honestly say Sean and Melissa would do it for you if the circumstances were reversed.

I hope the best possible outcome for Sean and am praying that he can be well enough to make it to the summit this year....or his friends will miss him a lot!

I have set up a donation account on Paypal for Sean:

Paypal payment instructions:
1) Click "Send Money" tab
2) Click "Personal" tab
3) Click "Gift" radio button (personal gifts are not charged a handling fee on either end)

4) Put in: [email protected] For email

5) Put in your amount.

Thank you everyone, this forum and community is wonderful and I have no doubt of the generosity and human spirit that exists here.

God Bless.:)

THANK YOU GRAHAM! You have no idea how much this means to Sean & I. We are so blessed to have wonderful friends that would do something so special for us. We are hanging in day by day...we go to the doctor in the morning so hopefully we will have more news. His pain levels have been really bad these last few days. I am hoping they can do something soon.

This truly brings tears to my eyes trying to type this...you never imagine yourself in this type of situation. We are thankful for the medical insurance I do have, we are thankful that Sean still has one eye right now, we are thankful to have a roof over our heads, we are extremely thankful for the friends who have reached out to us-even people we have never met before. As Wilson said it is amazing what a vehicle has done to bring so many awesome people together & form the bonds that have been made all across the country. We have found life long friends through the FJ community & look forward to meeting many many more.

I speak for Sean & I both Graham we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Your family & everyone else that has done anything for Sean & I will be blessed ten fold. I am a strong believer that helping when we can is not a blessing as much for the person in need but a gift to yourself. As my mother told us "When God takes something from your grasp, He's not punishing you, but merely opening your hands to receive something better."
This is how we must look at Sean's accident.

My thoughts & prayers are with everyone on this forum that you will be blessed with what your needs are.
Thank you again,
Melissa & Sean
(I think I am becoming his secretary...lol)

·
Cool Breeze
517 Posts
Thanx Graham for doing this for Sean and Melissa. I have met some great people on this forum. It is amazing how a vehicle has brought so many people together. I have added a link to my signature and will be making a donation.
Thank you Wilson! We truly appreciate it :)
Many blessing will be bestowed upon you & your family

Melissa

·
Cool Breeze
517 Posts
Graham, it was awfully nice of you to do this for Sean & Mellisa. I pitched in the same amount that you did so hopefully it will get the ball rolling.

Jim
Thank you Jim! We are so thankful you are apart of our life! We love you & look up to you. We are ready for our next trip in Crested Butte to have fried chicken :) We were telling a friend about that place the other day!
Hopefully we can make some trail runs with no one going or half way going off the side of a cliff :)
Hope to see you soon!
Thank you again & many blessing to you & your family
Melissa

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Very nice gesture Graham. I've never met Sean in person but have talked to him on the phone a few times, and he's a super nice guy. :cheers:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Thanks for setting this up. Jeff, Don and I talked this weekend at Hidden Falls and were going to do the same thing. Looks like you beat us to it, Awesome! Sean and Melessa Wish I could have given more but hope it helps you out in some way. Get well soon!!! We miss you on the trails already!

·
Cool Breeze
517 Posts
Thanks for setting this up. Jeff, Don and I talked this weekend at Hidden Falls and were going to do the same thing. Looks like you beat us to it, Awesome! Sean and Melessa Wish I could have given more but hope it helps you out in some way. Get well soon!!! We miss you on the trails already!
Thanks Toby!!! We are very thankful & blessed.
We missed y'all as well!!! We were there in spirit :) hehe
I know y'all had a great time! Looking forward to the next one!!!
Thanks for all the prayers & thoughts as well :)
Many blessings to you & your beautiful family!!!
Melissa

·
Cool Breeze
517 Posts
Very nice gesture Graham. I've never met Sean in person but have talked to him on the phone a few times, and he's a super nice guy. :cheers:
Thanks for your kind words about my husband!! Appreciate it very much!!

·
Cool Breeze
517 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Well I have asked my guys over at the FJNortheasters site and we have decided that we would like to help out. In the past we have donated proceeds from our annual event to big charities who receive millions of dollars each year. This year our focus will be right here with one of our own. It could have been any one of us working on our rigs. I myself am a self employed contractor and what happened to Sean is one of my worst fears. Having a very slow economy has been hard enough but an injury of this magnitude, well I just shudder at the thought and what you are going through. We will be donating a large portion of the proceeds from this years Northeast Run to you. I will not have a figure until the end of the event on Easter weekend but it should be 4 digits. I will also pass a hat at the dinner to try and get some additional funds together. I know if this had happened to me this community would help out at the drop of a dime. I have met some of the best people ever as the result of owning an FJ and getting involved in the off road community. People that are always there when you need them no questions asked. Time to pass it on! I wish Sean the best possible recovery given the circumstances and commend you Melissa for the support you're giving him.

·
fka fatbrat40
2,489 Posts
This is a great idea, Sean and Melissa are good people. Wheeled with them first at Hidden Falls back first of Dec2010 and again on New Years, your are right about Sean, an awesome guy do anything for you. Hope you get to feeling better

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I just wanted to thank Graham for setting this link up. Sean and Melissa, Although I don't personally know either of you but being a military person, I believe in the motto, "We take care of our own." I hope my that my donation in some way will help you and your family during your recovery.

·
Cool Breeze
517 Posts
Well I have asked my guys over at the FJNortheasters site and we have decided that we would like to help out. In the past we have donated proceeds from our annual event to big charities who receive millions of dollars each year. This year our focus will be right here with one of our own. It could have been any one of us working on our rigs. I myself am a self employed contractor and what happened to Sean is one of my worst fears. Having a very slow economy has been hard enough but an injury of this magnitude, well I just shudder at the thought and what you are going through. We will be donating a large portion of the proceeds from this years Northeast Run to you. I will not have a figure until the end of the event on Easter weekend but it should be 4 digits. I will also pass a hat at the dinner to try and get some additional funds together. I know if this happened to me this community would help out at the drop of a dime. I have met some of the best people ever as the result of owning an FJ and getting involved in the off road community. People that are always there when you need them no questions asked. Time to pass it on! I wish Sean the best possible recovery given the circumstances and commend you Melissa for the support you're giving him.
WOW! You have no idea what this means to Sean & I. We are so thankful for what someone would do for us. I have already been emotional being a girl & all, but your post made the tears flow :)**
This community of people is simply amazing! It is so awesome to have something you enjoy doing & meet so many amazing, wonderful, funny, caring, sharing, & special people.
We are so thankful for your well wishes & what your group is willing to do for another that enjoys what y'all enjoy. My husband is so passionate about his love of the outdoors, wheeling, camping, & on & on...
I wish many many many blessing to you & all that are involved in your community.
A huge thank you from the bottom of our hearts.
Melissa

·
Cool Breeze
517 Posts
This is a great idea, Sean and Melissa are good people. Wheeled with them first at Hidden Falls back first of Dec2010 and again on New Years, your are right about Sean, an awesome guy do anything for you. Hope you get to feeling better
Thank you for the kind words! Sean appreciates the thoughts

·
Cool Breeze
517 Posts
I just wanted to thank Graham for setting this link up. Sean and Melissa, Although I don't personally know either of you but being a military person, I believe in the motto, "We take care of our own." I hope my that my donation in some way will help you and your family during your recovery.
Yes Thanks to Graham! Thank you for your donation. We are very thankful & appreciate it very much.
Many blessings to you
Melissa

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Melissa and Sean, it is the least I can do! This community and the broader wheeling community takes care of their own. I hope this helps to raise Sean's spirits and your's too Melissa......this is a tough time in your lives and I am glad we can be there for you in some small way.

Thank you everyone for your donations and keep them coming, no amount is too small. Please cross post this thread to other 4WD sites, as I am sure there are more folks out there that can relate and willing to part with a few dollars for a wonderful couple of people.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Sent what i had left in my account.

Hope this helps with any of the immediate expenses y'all have with things going on right now. I know with my insurance when i have had surgeries recently i had to pay a lot of things out of pocket only to be reimbursed weeks or months later.

Still sending knee mail every night for y'all.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts