Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a small reliable Air Compressor that can Air Down/Up my FJ tires on the Back Roads or other situations like sand, as needed.
Came across a Used but working DeWalt DXAEPS2 "Professional Power Station". It also has Jumper Battery Backup and Charging power ports that I can plug into AC, or DC (both avail in my FJ)- plus the DC can be connected to Solar. I can charge phone and run LED's when Power OFF or Camping. Though usually not a fan of "Multi tasking" Units, this has a certain appeal. Downside- the weight ~39 Pounds.

What do you think? What do you use? Looks like about 3.25 Stars out of 5 on Amazon. BTW I would NOT pay $268. Trying to pay about $75 with shipping.

Thanks for your feedback.

Anne

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DXAEPS2-Professional-Power-Station/dp/B06XDH6XL3

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I would want to know how much volume that compressor puts out. It may do 120 psi, but volume is more important than psi. I have seen compressors that take 15 minutes to fill one tire. Better than nothing in a pinch, but to air up after a day at the beach can take an hour (seriously).

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,262 Posts
I would be wary of this. It isn’t being sold as a tire compressor but a general tool. Even most compressors from big stores are not able to fill a 4x4 tire, even if they are being sold as such, unless you have a week to wait. Look at specific products such as ARB, Extremeaire, Viair etc. If you can look for one with 100% duty cycle too.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I would want to know how much volume that compressor puts out. It may do 120 psi, but volume is more important than psi. I have seen compressors that take 15 minutes to fill one tire. Better than nothing in a pinch, but to air up after a day at the beach can take an hour (seriously).
Found this comparison Video on battery powered air pumps on You Tube that includes DeWalt 20 V Lithium Ion model Air Pump "Max Inflator" PUMP ONLY- It apparently did relatively well being one of the fastest to fill the tire to 35 PSI ( one "flat tire" took 6 minutes 43 seconds to inflate), and was accurate within 1 pound. When the battery powered air pumps were pushed to see which was fastest in a 20 minute Test the DeWalt didn't "slow down" like some of the others, and at 20 minutes had reached 59 PSI and was accurate. Runner up was Ryobi at 20 minutes reaching 58 PSI. Several of the other pumps quit before the 20 minutes. The thought was that the DeWalt was the Only air pump designed to run continuously-without shutting down from overheating protectors, or running out of battery.

Amazon reviews are 4.5 Stars out of 5 for this- just the PUMP. Unsure how the Pumps differ on the two units. However at $83.66 New on Amazon this may be the better choice.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bought a Rolair AB5 Plus it has the lowest current of any of the 1 gallon units and my stock inverter can run it, I have to open the tank drain outlet to start it otherwise the startup current is too high but it fills to 120psi in a minute or so.
AB5PLUS
AB5PLUS

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Amazon reviews are 4.5 Stars out of 5 for this- just the PUMP. Unsure how the Pumps differ on the two units. However at $83.66 New on Amazon this may be the better choice.
Do you have other DeWalt gear where you already have batteries and chargers? The Amazon link you posted doesn't include a battery / charger, so you'll always have to run it wired to your battery.

Two things to pay attention to on air compressors: CFM and duty cycle. CFM is inflation speed, duty cycle is how long you can run it in an hour before it needs to cool down.

If you loan your compressor out a bunch, or if you're inflating truck / RV tires to 80+ PSI, then you need duty cycle more than you need CFM. If you're just inflating your own vehicle back to road PSI then with a good enough CFM you'll never hit the duty cycle limitation.

A few good compressors to consider from Viair:

Viair 300P - $136, 2.3 CFM, 33% duty cycle
Viair 400P - $179, 2.3 CFM, 33% duty cycle
Viair 440P - $235, 3.0 CFM, 33% duty cycle
Viair 450P - $286, 1.8 CFM, 100% duty cycle

The 450 is slower than the rest but it never stops. RV tires, loaning it out to 3 friends, etc. If you want fast and just for you, I'd get the 440.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I would look at something like a Superflow MV50 which will do the job faster, unless those other capabilities (battery etc.) are important to you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Like most things, what you should probably do depends upon intended usage. If you're going to be airing up often and/or you have larger than stock tires it might be a good idea to get something built more for that purpose. I have friends that have had good luck with the Viair 88P which is like 70ish bucks on Amazon - but they don't use it a ton and don't have huge tires.

I agree with the people telling you to focus on CFM and duty cycle based on your intended use, but personally would also add into that equation your tire size, frequency of use, and how long you expect to get out of it. If you have OEM size tires, and will only be using it a handful of times a year in situation that it's not a huge issue if it doesn't work or doesn't work fast then the Dewalt or the cheaper Viair or something similar would probably work just fine.If you have larger tires, or plans of getting larger tires and might be using it monthly or more then I'd look at something like the ARB single or Viair 400+ series at a minimum. I'm sure there's a bunch of people with larger tires that air up often with smaller more budget friendly compressors but this is just my opinion.

I have 33's, moving to 35's in the next few months. Air up quite a bit, and often in places that I don't have close access to a gas station with a compressor.. so I bought a ViAir 400H and have it hard mounted.. compressor, hose, air fittings, mounting, etc. all in about $300ish and have loved it. I can air up from 16ish to 38ish total in about 10-15 min from the point I'm getting out of the FJ to the point I'm back in the FJ.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts