Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year we hear of someone going above and beyond to help someone on the trail. On my 9:20 Imogene Run I was stopped by an FJ driver with his hood up. His alternator had died and he continued on ignoring his dash lights until the FJ died. One of our group removed his good battery and swapped in the dead one. We then jump started his FJ and we continued on. The stranded FJ was able to start and return on the fresh battery reserve. Wish I could remember our good guys name. I also hope the stranded FJ gave him a new battery.

I'm sure there are other good guy/gal stories. Post them here.

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
Every year we hear of someone going above and beyond to help someone on the trail. On my 9:20 Imogene Run I was stopped by an FJ driver with his hood up. His alternator had died and he continued on ignoring his dash lights until the FJ died. One of our group removed his good battery and swapped in the dead one. We then jump started his FJ and we continued on. The stranded FJ was able to start and return on the fresh battery reserve. Wish I could remember our good guys name. I also hope the stranded FJ gave him a new battery.
The FJ that was stranded caught my 8:50 Imogene group at the third water crossing just as we were about to leave. @toyotacolin was a passenger in that FJ, I don't know the driver. I heard about the battery swap fix when your group caught us at the rock. Wish I had thought of it, but we didn't have a HAM to contact HQ (Colin did but couldn't get signal). So I figured it was just a question of one of them hiking up/down far enough to get signal. Glad to hear that a later group got it fixed without cutting a truck out of their group to go back to town.

With all due respect to the stranded driver, his brake and battery warning lights were on before he left Ouray (I heard), and he had trouble starting the truck that morning and/or the previous night (I heard). Plus, he went up the mountain alone (yes, 20 FJ's an hour were also going up), and he actually asked me "do you think I can make it to Telluride". No, dude, go back to Ouray. Why he ever left Ouray with warning lights on boggles the mind.

Kudos to the guy in your 9:20 group that helped out :rocker:

·
Registered
630 Posts

I'm sure there are other good guy/gal stories. Post them here.

Most of that is true, however everything was fine with the alternator other then a whining noise that had started the night before. The battery light had come on about 10-20 min before we ran into that group and the alternator was still charging just not very well. We were also turning around as soon as we talked to James as it died.

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
Most of that is true, however everything was fine with the alternator other then a whining noise that had started the night before. The battery light had come on about 10-20 min before we ran into that group and the alternator was still charging just not very well. We were also turning around as soon as we talked to James as it died.
Ahh, so not as boneheaded as I thought :bigthumb: glad to hear it.

All of the rest of us had pretty much decided that you were bad luck for FJ's, and to not let you anywhere near our rigs :rofl:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One point on this I clearly remember was when the driver told me what happened, I turned to Colin and asked "if you were still friends?".

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Cool story of FJ heroism. On our 0645 Gulches run Thursday we had a guy break a tie rod part way up Corkscrew thanks to his drop bracket lift. The other AG FJ in our group (sorry, don't remember his name) drove in front of him all the way back down while the rest of us continued on. Just goes to show how willing to help the good people who drive FJ's are.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Probably not a big deal to anyone but me.. but I really appreciated the tips and patience from everyone. This was pretty much my first trip as a driver and while I may have been super anxious (and slow) on pretty much every little rock, I had a lot of fun.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I haven't gotten stuck on a trail since about 1979, when ironically I was pulled out by a guy in a Jeep at about 8AM after a very heavy unexpected snowstorm.

I was driving a Volkswagen Super Beetle at the time which made it up I-25 from Denver to Ft. Collins in some serious blizzards when I-25 looked like a demolition derby but this was one situation I could not get out of.

But when I add up all the minutes and hours that people have taken on this forum responding to my questions, I have to say that it amounts to some serious Good Samaritanship all around.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Story 1 - I posted somewhere about my ball joints needing replacement. Not only did a resident lend me his tools without being asked, but also had a couple of our summiteers stop by, many thanks

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Story 2 - Heading down Cal Corkscrew, came across 2 German-accent sounding hikers about the third of the way UP who had no water, at 4:30ish in the blazing heat. I gave them a couple of water bottles each, all I had, and they wanted to continue to the summit! But I hopefully convinced them to go just a little farther to the switchbacks to get some pics and head back before nightfall. They looked fit but these ladies weren't going to make the summit, hope they took my advice.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
On the way home from Summit we saw a biker who was riding by a car pulling a pop-up camper that clipped the biker's back wheel. This sent him about three feet into the air along with his bike which landed in a ditch hard on top of the previous rider. Out of the half dozen plus cars who witnessed this ours was the only one to stop. When I finally get to him he's walking around but obviously in a lot of pain. I yell to him if he's hurt, do I need to call someone-the police, ambulance, anyone? No response. He continues wandering around in pain stopping to rest for a second before struggling back on his feet to wander and mutter and yell some more.

I ask one final time, much more loudly, if he needed anything or if there was something I could do for him. This time he realized I was there and the look on his face instantly changed. It turned to pure rage!

"This is the second time you assholes have done this to me! **** you! I'll kill all of you! I'll ****ing kill each and every one of you! Get away from me!"

At that last line he found the energy to spring at me and start shoving me...towards the highway with heavy traffic. He goes for for a hard shove in front of a truck but I was able to skirt away from the second attack and run across the highway between cars to my waiting rig. At this time I saw someone else had stopped and was walking back as well. I relayed my experience and recommended that this older Samaritan go on his own way, possibly call the police if the feels he should do something.

At this time I climbed back into my FJ, hands shaking and looking pale. My GF Tracy wants to know if it's because of his injuries. As I shake my head no I start the car and we roll back into traffic. That's when I tell her what happened. I was debating calling the police because this guy did need help, in more ways than one, but after being tried to be thrown into a moving car I didn't feel like dealing with having to write up a report so I left him on his own.

So there you have it, my story of being a failed good Samaritan.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man that sucks! But good of you to try helping.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
On the way home from Summit we saw a biker who was riding by a car pulling a pop-up camper that clipped the biker's back wheel.
Damnit that sucks. Kudos for you to stop and help out. Unfortunate that it was such a bad experience for you both.....

I wasn't at Summit, but directly afterwards and on the same trails I helped out some motorcyclists. A group of them was at the top of a pass as we were driving by. They stopped the vehicles in my group and asked us if we had a torx wrench. Something important was loose on one of their handle bars and they didn't have the right wrenches. I got out and checked out my tool box. Mine were too small. They asked to see if a flat bladed screw driver would work. I pulled my multi-tool out of my pocket and the screw driver managed to fit perfectly! They were so happy and I felt good about helping out.

Another group of motorcyclists were making their way down some loose sandy switchbacks. We were headed up. One of them was older and limping his bike down the trail. He said his buddy layed his bike over too on the switchback above and to help him out. Long story made short, we got to him, gathered up his gear and held his bike while he took a breather. He was very winded due to the altitude and said he had the wrong tires on his bike for the loose trail. He was very apprecieated and went on his way. We watched him and his buddy make it safely down the mountain.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
On the way home from Summit we saw a biker who was riding by a car pulling a pop-up camper that clipped the biker's back wheel.
Snip
So there you have it, my story of being a failed good Samaritan.
I'd say that's not an example of being a 'failed' good samaritan so much as that guy failing to accept it. It always used to confuse me when people (especially adults) would tell me not to stop and help people, when it's in our Midwestern blood to stop and offer help. After a few years and the experiences contained therein, it totally made sense to me that people tell their daughters and sons not to stop. I wouldn't want my GF or anyone I care about in that situation. I still stop pretty much 100% time for people on country roads, and occasionally for highway/town (if the situation is safe, etc.) but I'm also prepared to defend myself every time.
Props for you for trying to help the guy, and for recognizing when to bail.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
On the Monday before Summit 10, a group of 20+ FJs' met at City Market in Moab to hit the trails- as per Woodsman's call. We split into two groups. I joined the group headed up by a guy named Alan(Super nice guy!!) who led about 11 FJ's around 7 Mile Rim(on slickrock) in Moab. About half way through, Old Sarge(Curtis) had trouble with his rear diff not unlocking after use...and after many repeated attempts to unlock this, we had to stop to fix it to continue on the trail. A guy by the name of Zac rose to the occasion and got under Sarge's FJ in no time flat, he must have been under there an hour or so, pulling the small motor out that was adjacent to the diff, etc... in 108F heat. We helped Zac where we could(Floor jack, wood, strap, etc), but he was the hero of the hour for sure. Soon, Sarge's diff unlocked and we were on our way. I am sure Zac is well known on these Forums and I just don't know his name, but he is to be highly commended for his assistance to Sarge and his obvious depth of knowledge of the FJ!! An amazing brotherhood...

Mike

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'd like to give a HUGE thanks to Adam Durazo and handful of other people that took time to help me get my truck looked at and back home. On the first day of my vacation I was pre-running poughkeepsie with the rest of the Colorado FJ cruiser group when right before we got to the wall my rear end started making a BAD noise. I checked out out and decided to turn around and go back down. Adam offered to follow me and his dad even offered to check it out when get got back to town. So after talking to him and Demello and others we thought it was the axle so I posted it up on our COFJ page that I found an axle over in Denver if anybody was still coming to the Summit, luckily there was dude who was coming to spend some time around ouray and he offered to pick it up for me! Nasrullah Zeerak went and checked it out, paid for it and delivered it to me! Talk about trusting! We have a great group of people driving FJs! Sadly the axle wasn't the problem after we pulled out the old one in Adam's rental drive in ouray, so we put it all back together and we loaded up on his trailer for what turned out to be a LONG LONG 15hr trip back home (thats a story in itself!). So I'm still broken, but I have to give a HUGE thanks to all those who helped me thus far, who knows, I might have just melted down on the trail shot up the truck caught it on fire and walked home to collect the ins. money. LOL JUST KIDDING. The Crackrock can't die like that.

Here is the last action picture I took right before it broke.

IMG_2252 by Colin F, on Flickr

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've never been one to "toot" my own horn but I figure I will throw in our story too. There are so many generous people in the FJ community and especially at the Summit, it really says a lot about you all....Kudos to you all and thanks to all that stop and go the extra mile to help.

It was Sunday, last day of Summit, and my fiancee (formerly my GF...you can see another Summit post about this) and I had spent the day cruising around shopping, hiking and doing a little non-4x4 sightseeing. We had stopped at the Bachelor mine for a tour and gold panning...Hey I was working on our retirement fund is what I told her.

We had been trying to get to the "Welcome to Ouray" sign just outside of town and take some selfies but had not managed to. So, after the mine and panning we drove over to the sign which was practically across the street from the mine turn off to complete our selfie task.

Upon turning off at the sign and parking, we noticed a car parked behind a tree with it's trunk open and a young lady pacing around with some papers in her hand and a cell phone to her ear. My fiancee with her keen vision stated "I think she has a flat tire". So we got out and walked over.....sure enough her left rear was flat on her rental car. She had no idea how to change a tire, her husband was out fishing somewhere and to make matters worse for her, she couldn't seem to get a cell signal. She was pretty distressed....My Fiancee spoke with her and calmed her as I poked around to get the jack and wannabee spare tire out of her car. Once I had it all setup we put our gloves on got to work. I jacked the car while my fiancee took the lug nuts off. All the while my fiancee was telling the girl to pay attention so she could see how it was done.....Yep, it was a team effort, a regular pitstop! haha We, had her changed and all set in 5min.

We charged her with photo duties as an exchange for the help. She was happy fulfill our paparazzi request and then she headed back out to Montrose.

I really don't know why she pulled so far off the road where no one could see her, but timing was perfect and I'm glad that we showed up when we did as it was late in the day.

There is our story....It was nice to be on the helping end and have the tools to do it.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I'd like to give a HUGE thanks to Adam Durazo and handful of other people that took time to help me get my truck looked at and back home. On the first day of my vacation I was pre-running poughkeepsie with the rest of the Colorado FJ cruiser group when right before we got to the wall my rear end started making a BAD noise. I checked out out and decided to turn around and go back down. Adam offered to follow me and his dad even offered to check it out when get got back to town. So after talking to him and Demello and others we thought it was the axle so I posted it up on our COFJ page that I found an axle over in Denver if anybody was still coming to the Summit, luckily there was dude who was coming to spend some time around ouray and he offered to pick it up for me! Nasrullah Zeerak went and checked it out, paid for it and delivered it to me! Talk about trusting! We have a great group of people driving FJs! Sadly the axle wasn't the problem after we pulled out the old one in Adam's rental drive in ouray, so we put it all back together and we loaded up on his trailer for what turned out to be a LONG LONG 15hr trip back home (thats a story in itself!). So I'm still broken, but I have to give a HUGE thanks to all those who helped me thus far, who knows, I might have just melted down on the trail shot up the truck caught it on fire and walked home to collect the ins. money. LOL JUST KIDDING. The Crackrock can't die like that.

Here is the last action picture I took right before it broke.

IMG_2252 by Colin F, on Flickr
The suspense is killing me... what was the issue?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts