Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of you don't want to here this, but if you may be better off waiting a year before going to purchase the FJ. If your like me, that is going to be hard, but think about this for a second.

*** If Toyota sells 40,000 its first year, they are guaranteed to offer a few more options on the 2007s...

---moonroofs, removeable tops, more color choices....

Think about all the options Scion offers now that weren't offered the first year. I'm not telling anyone not to go out and purchase this hot machine. I'm just saying you might be kicking yourself when more options come available !!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Again, there is no 2006 model year for the FJ Cruiser.

rookie mistake, Bubba

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
but what if i want LESS options?

granted, a removeable top would rock, but i dont think its going to happen with this thing considering the way the body is setup. gimme a manual trans, manual everything, lockers front and rear, and a cd player and im happy; everything else i want is going to be aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
personally, the FJ seems like it is going to be offered the way I want it so I will happily pick up mine the day they hit the showrooms. I agree the paint colors leave a lot to be desired but I am buying this truck for what it can do, not for how it looks doing it. :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yes everyone should wait until next year to buy this vehicle. Please make all your dumb complaints about the freaking color and scare everyone off. I mean I am going to hate being the only one on the road the first year with this vehicle. And IMO Toyota will not offer at any point a removable top.

·
Registered
294 Posts
csherrill's right.

If the next model year FJ has any options I must have, I'll just buy a new one. Then the guys that wanted to wait can fight over my used one!!!!

There is a product development industry term for this "first one on the block" behavior. We are called "early adopters".

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
cheazhd said:
csherrill's right.

If the next model year FJ has any options I must have, I'll just buy a new one. Then the guys that wanted to wait can fight over my used one!!!!

There is a product development industry term for this "first one on the block" behavior. We are called "early adopters".
ditto

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheazhd is right! There is no 2006. When you track a vehicle for 4 years like I have, they start to run together. The Fj will have the same intro as Honda did with the Ridgeline. But acutally , the Fj will sell.... :eek: My badddd !!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
cheazhd said:
*ding*

The FJ is the first vehicle I've been excited about in 10 years.

10 f**king years.

Like hell I'm going to wait.

Have I mentioned that I'd like to see toyota offer the FJ in orange?

Cheers,
prat

·
Registered
294 Posts
Prat,
I could say how eagerly I am anticipating the arrival of the FJ,
but I prefer to quote a cheezy bumpersticker....

"There gonna hafta pry it from my cold dead hands".

·
Registered
228 Posts
See the thing is I've been plotting for a new car for sometime. I originally was going to get a 350z when they originally came out. But then realized how much I love my SUV and do not want a fast car with no cargo space that I could top out at say 65 mph in the city. So instead I've been looking elsewhere for years. The FJ is what I want without a doubt. Sure there are things that I would want different, but overall great car for me. I could roll complaints about every car ever made. (other then maybe a delorean with the factory installed flux capacitor, for obvious reasons.) The reason I bring up the 350z is because a year after those cars were out on the market...they were still selling for roughly the same amount but with 10-15K miles on them. I think the same type of situation will happen with the FJ...if you don';t have the money or just want to wait a year to get it...cool. But I bet you that you will not see the drop in price that you are expecting. I mean this car is either going to be HOT...or it isn't. If it isn't you probably won't want it in a year. If it is...you will be paying the same MSRP...plus WOW a roof that does or does not open.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As long as we all get one, who the hell cares !!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree that it pays to wait, not with options, but with bugs which all first year models have, even Toyota and Honda. The new Tacoma and Ridgeline have a few issue, granted they are minor, but still. Still someone has to buy the first model or it won't get very far! I have to wait a year regardless, since I am still upside down with my current ride.

As for options, it will be interesting to see what they offer. The only option I really want to see is that pearl finish green color, or a tan color. I just don't like flashy colors, silver is okay, but my last two vehicles were that color.

D

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I totally agree with cheaz and prat. I am buying this truck when it comes out. I don't think I even want a convertable option but if I am so inclined I will sell my current FJ and buy a new one.

As for first year bugs, I expect some, as I would with any new production auto but this is being built on an existing frame using existing tech so hopefully the exposure will be minimal. Even if problems do creep up, I trust toyota's warranty and expect that anything wrong with be fixed.

Is it Feb/May/June/early spring yet?????

:D

Also, for those that want to hold off for a convertable....

Over the past two years since the concept was shown in Detroit, we have been the first auto news outlet to predict the FJ Cruiser will become another big hit for Toyota.

And so far based on industry reaction and dealer surveys, our predictions were well ahead of the curve.

Toyota will try to sell 40,000 FJ's in the USA in its first year.

While everyone was busy checking out the models at the SEMA auto show, 001 was busy in secret meetings with a high level Toyota informant.

Agent X as we'll call them, told us that because of the positive reaction to the SUV, a convertible version is a virtual shoe-in a year or two down the road.

We'd even be happy with a Cruiser with a panoramic roof!

More info as we receive it...
http://www.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=5836&categoryId=1

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think I'll wait till 2010, because my cousin's roomate's former girlfriend heard a rumor that year they will offer it with the HEMI and a wet bar.

-sarcasm

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Okay, my official take on this after talking to the head of marketing for Toyota, Mark Amstock, and the Manager of Tech Training (at the FJ Cruiser after party) is that I will wait until summer to buy mine. I will wait because - the 4.0 litre supercharger is in it's infant stages right now (there is only one). By summer Toyota will be releasing the 4.0 litre supercharger and there will be a special edition ALL BLACK cruiser available. They plan to offer one special edition every year.

I will wait because I want the supercharger. They have said MARCH will be the release date. All of our information is a little bit off - the 4.0 litre V6 is 238 hp, with the supercharger much higher.

They say between low and mid-20's on MPG.

After sitting in this thing, playing with it, taking pictures of it and talking to the head mechanic trainer for Toyota - I will have one, but I will wait till summer so I can get the supercharged version.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts