Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my spare tire mounted to the new rim I got last night. Initially they sent me one wheel with the wrong lug pattern. I had a chance to take a few pics of the method we used to get the outer bead seated on the lip of the wheel so you can install the lock ring. It was a very tight fit and there was no way we could get the bead on according to the instructions. They tell you to just whack it with a rubber mallet to seat the bead.

This system works perfectly and one person can get the tire seated in a minute or two. We simply used a few washers and spacers and held them in place with the lock ring bolts. The washers prevented the bead from slipping off the other side. The spacers pushed the bead into place by simply spinning the tire on the wheel. If you do this, don't torque down the bolts or you will damage the rim. They are just on tight enough to hold the tire down. Once the bead is seated, you can remove the bolts and install the ring. The bead won't pop off because it has even pressure all around.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
That'sa VERY niiiice! (feigned Borat voice)

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Cool, looks like a lot easier way to mount the tire than just hittin' it with hammer!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Waaaaaay better! Some tires/sizes just slip right on. When we test fit the Duelers on the wheels, they just fell right into place.... didn't even need to touch them. With these tires though, it is impossible to install per the instructions. We initially spent hours just trying to seat one tire. Literally almost three hours of fighting with it before we figured this out.... six of us. Five of them professional mechanics. Kind of embarrassing that it took that long to come up with such a simple and effective solution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts