Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 1260 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you for the additional information. To maintain the same load carrying capacity as the O.E. tires (at placard pressure), the minimum cold inflation pressure we suggest for your 285/70R-17 DuraTrac tires is 40PSI.
That is so interesting, I have been playing with tire pressure up and down for a couple of weeks and to me 38 to 40 psi "felt" the best. Thanks for your input. for a none car guy it is much appreciated.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey everybody, I was at Discount Tire today looking at the duratracs and some new procomp wheels. I'm going 285 75 16. Discount never mentioned the load rating to me. I thought they were all E rated (noob) I plan on getting a ruger trailer down the road, should I go with the E? Anone with personal experiences?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Hey everybody, I was at Discount Tire today looking at the duratracs and some new procomp wheels. I'm going 285 75 16. Discount never mentioned the load rating to me. I thought they were all E rated (noob) I plan on getting a ruger trailer down the road, should I go with the E? Anone with personal experiences?
I am running that size in an E and still love them.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Running an D here in the equivalent diameter but in a 17" and I don't tow and it's great tire for me. I don't haul heavy either, I wouldn't do a D and tow with this rig personally. Tire says 3200 lbs. max

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thank you for the additional information. To maintain the same load carrying capacity as the O.E. tires (at placard pressure), the minimum cold inflation pressure we suggest for your 285/70R-17 DuraTrac tires is 40PSI.
I have the same size tire on my 2014 FJ and Americas tire also told me that the calculated tire PSI for the FJ and this tire size was 40 psi.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Running an E here in the equivalent diameter but in a 17" and I don't tow and it's great tire for me. I don't haul heavy either, I wouldn't do a D and tow with this rig personally.
I agree with the towing sentiment. I would be towing a very small off road trailer on occasion. We sold our Tundra to buy the FJ. We towed a uhaul trailer fr san diego to boise with no problems. I miss the power but love the how much easier the FJ is to park!

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Duratracs are great sure wish they would make a 295/70/18, that is the size I'm after in which case my choices are Nitto or the Cooper MAXX , any other choices in that size Discount Tire?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I see some mention about different sizes for different manufacturers. Currently I am running LT285/75/R16 BFG A/Ts with only a leveling kit. No lift. I need some new tires pretty soon. Any idea what size DuraTracs I could go with without rubbing?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I see some mention about different sizes for different manufacturers. Currently I am running LT285/75/R16 BFG A/Ts with only a leveling kit. No lift. I need some new tires pretty soon. Any idea what size DuraTracs I could go with without rubbing?
I run that same size with a spacer level as well. Had a bit of rubbing coming down a pretty steep, uneven grade with the wheel torced to the left. Other than that I haven't experienced any. I came off BFG's and man I couldn't be happier with the Duratracs, so much better in the rain and snow.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
You can't go any bigger than what you have

·
Registered
113 Posts
I run that same size with a spacer level as well. Had a bit of rubbing coming down a pretty steep, uneven grade with the wheel torced to the left. Other than that I haven't experienced any. I came off BFG's and man I couldn't be happier with the Duratracs, so much better in the rain and snow.
What would be the next size down if I wanted to be sure that I wouldn't rub?

·
Registered
304 Posts
What would be the next size down if I wanted to be sure that I wouldn't rub?
LT265/75/R16 I suppose. That's the size BFG's i used to have.. never had any rub, but the 285's look way better. I wouldn't go down if I were you... do the BMC if you are worried about rub.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've read on this thread many praises of the Duratracs' snow/ice performance, but also that the siping is not very deep and can wear away after the tires get some mileage on them. I know they can get studded, but I'd like to run them year-round so I hesitate to take that step. Has anyone had any luck getting the tires re-siped?

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
I've read on this thread many praises of the Duratracs' snow/ice performance, but also that the siping is not very deep and can wear away after the tires get some mileage on them. I know they can get studded, but I'd like to run them year-round so I hesitate to take that step. Has anyone had any luck getting the tires re-siped?

Look at cooper AT3s, and general grabber AT2s. Been testing Duratracs vs those, and they all are about equal. I am talking about snow and ice testing...:). Coopers are real cheap too. If you want any more details, you can always pm me.

Cheers,
Matt

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I am on my third winter, the tires probably have 20-25K miles on them, they have worn unimpressively quick, most likely from the hot summer roads and constant up and down hill use. All the factory siping is gone, the ice and compact snow traction is Poor... I have not gone and had them siped but they definitely need it. I am going back to my old ways of running a summer tire and a true dedicated ice snow radial for winter. More cost initially but longer tire life all around.:clap:

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
I am on my third winter, the tires probably have 20-25K miles on them, they have worn unimpressively quick, most likely from the hot summer roads and constant up and down hill use. All the factory siping is gone, the ice and compact snow traction is Poor... I have not gone and had them siped but they definitely need it. I am going back to my old ways of running a summer tire and a true dedicated ice snow radial for winter. More cost initially but longer tire life all around.:clap:
What do you plan on running as a dedicated snow tire and in what size?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the info guys! I may just have to run two sets of tires as well, because I definitely need a strong performer on the winter roads here in Montana. I also do a lot of winter highway driving through Wyoming and North Dakota with my job, including pulling a loaded trailer from time to time. The Cooper AT3's and the Grabber AT2's really look like decent winter tires, but I imagine their off road performance isn’t tops. Anyone running the Hankook DynaPro ATM or the Nitto Exo or Terra Grapplers? They look like good winter tires as well, but still not strong off road performers I imagine. Maybe Duratracs for summer and one of the above for winter? I’ve been looking for an excuse to buy a set of those sweet black TDR Pro wheels – I could run those with the Duratracs…
:grin

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
If I was going to run winter and summer sets my summer set would be full MT's. Probably Open Country MT's. My struggle is what is a good winter tire that will not look goofy on a lifts FJ...?

1121 - 1140 of 1260 Posts