Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't find anyone running these on steelies. I am trying to decide between Nitto Trail Grapplers (295/70/17) and the Goodyears.

Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nittos if you don't mind the noise but the steelies might be too narrow for those sizes. If I'm not mistaken, being that narrow will give higher risk of loosing your bead when offroading

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback gravebox.

I am also considering adding a beadlock to some 16" TRD wheels and moving to a 315/75/16 tire. Not sure yet. My thoughts are that if I can avoid a gearing change by going with the 305s it would be nice. Perhaps I could save some wear and tear by sticking with a 34" diameter tire and not moving up to a 35". Mostly seeing people either going 295/17 or 315/16, the 305/17 seems to be rare.

Additional suggestions/wisodm would be appreciated!

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
I've been running 305/70/17 MT/R's on OEM steelies for almost 5 years with zero problems (I'm actually on my second set). While the tire spec's call for a wider rim, they work great on the steelies. They tuck up into the wheel well during full articulation without touching anything, which is a good thing.

Jim

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply Jim.

Can I ask what PSI you are running them at for on-road use and what suspension you are running. Any pictures?

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
I run the MT/R's for off-roading and use 285/70/17 BFG AT's on Mojave Teflon's for everyday use. I usually put the MT/R's on in May for my annual spring trip to Moab then leave them on until late October (I spend June thru September in Crested Butte and then take a fall trip back to Moab in October). I run them at 33 lbs. in front and 31 lbs. in back for around-town driving; 36 lbs. front and back for highway driving and 14-15 lbs. for 4-wheeling.

As to pictures, THIS thread covering one of our outings in Moab on the Behind The Rocks trail has a number of pictures of my rig.

Suspension wise, I have ICON coil-overs in front with ICON UCA's and ICON remote reservoir shocks with ToyTec springs in back. Make sure you get your body mounts trimmed prior to moving to larger tires.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts