Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As soon as the the MTR Kevlar was available I purchased a set. Several publications had reviewed them and found them to be nearly bullet proof in the side wall and a tire that un-cleated easily in the wet stuff. I went with them predominately due to the sidewall strength. Here in Colorado rocks are often the cause of premature tire purchases due to side wall damage and most reviews found the kevlar enforced wall to be bullet proof.

Another factor for me was with the side wall being so stiff airing down was reported to be facilated. Although I dont recommend this I routinely will drop down to 8lbs and Ive never once lost the bead. A major publication reported that the MTR internal diameter is "produced slightly smaller" than typical tires (based on the rim size of course) which according to them also helps maintain the bead (I can not attest to the accuracy of their claim).

So 25000 miles of daily dirt roads, wkly trail rides, Moab x 4, Ouray x2, a cross country trip from CO to DC, 3 wks in the San Rafael Swell and frequent 100 mile highway trips to my main office and by measurement they still have over half tread. The tires for me have been as billed, tough as nails yet surprisingly quiet. Now my reference on noise is in comparison to other MT tires, overall pretty quiet but not like the Toyos which for me have been the quietest MT tires I have owned.

I have had some issues with them but in truth I must take the blame. The tires are cupped noticably at this point. Now I am fanatical about rotating but alignment and balance (despite my attempts) have failed...especially balance. This is NOT a factor I blame on the tire. I went with a lifetime balance from a local shop and frankly as we all know the larger the tire the more difficult the balance...and you get what you pay for and I went cheap.

In closing the tires wear has exceeded my expecations. Im of the mindset that your lucky to get 40k out of a MT tire and these are on track to due better than that. Off road there a dream and on the hard stuff they run out smooth and quiet.

Would I buy them again...you bet I will but there are lots of good tires and this is only designed to give you food for thought. RH

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Thanks for a nice write up. From your description, it hasn't been a highway cruiser. Good to see this tire stood up to the trails.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Thanks for the observations. If I go back to a full on MT, I think that will be my choice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts