Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read tons of info here on the BFG KO tires, and I know they are amazing for off road and pretty good on road, and have great looks.

There is an $80 rebate for Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires, and they get rave reviews, almost more than BFG on Tire Rack.

I want something to replace the Goodyear AT/S tires I have, but wanted others input on some topics:

1) Gas mileage drop on either if staying stock size, 17", (might do 275/70/17)
2) Rain performance
3) On road performance
4) Snow slush and ice performance,(moving to Oregon)

I have heard others lost 2-3mpg on the Wranglers, and maybe 1-2mpg loss on the BFG. Gas is gonna hit $4 by summer, and I would like to keep things as they are if possible, 19-22mpg, stock size.

The Goodyear AT/S tires I have now are only 44 pounds each; much lighter than all the others, which I believe has helped keep the mileage the same as the stock Duncraps.

I don't tow, and don't carry overloaded with gear all that often.
Would like a bit more meat in the wheel wells
But really want to be smart about gaining traction with a more aggressive tire, and loosing MPGs.

Thanks all
:rocker:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Let me share my experience with both of these. The silent armors are quiet, extremely grippy on all surfaces and more importantly wet pavement.

However, I had to return mine, 3 of 4 were defective with bulging sidewalls, not only dangerous but really disappointing for such an expensive tire.

BFG's look better, clearly better quality construction but hell to get balanced. My suggestion is if you decide on BFG have the tire store pull 8 tires and watch for any that require a ton of weight, have them discard those and keep going till you have 4 that require little or no weights, that is the only solution I have found for balancing these tires.

Additional considerations. I spoke with 4 tire dealers in Alaska, they all said matter of fact, no body sells or advises the use of any BFG's in Alaska because they chunk and fall apart in cold weather, secondly the AT's do not perform well in any muddy conditions as the treads clog. The majority also said they liked Goodyears because of the softer compound and tread designs did better in ice, snow etc but they all said blizzaks were king up there. I dont know if this is a big consideration, I see your in New Mexico.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey JayFF,

I had just re-read your original post on the BFG and the GY tires. Thanks for replying. Yeah, you are hitting most issues there and was surprised at the bubbles you had on the GY SA. Might be because they were "pro grade", HA! They have a great $80 discount on them right now.

The BFG just look awesome, no doubt. And god knows there are a million rave reviews on them, aside from some issues like you pointed out about mud clearing and not great for serious snow,(although severe snow marked?)

I live in New Mexico now, but drive a TON on highway, and most up to Oregon and Northwest. So I am concerned about MPG and the sloppy crap they get up here..which I recently drove through. The AT/S I have now were just scary.

I do some good off-roading, again, in New Mex and here, so lots of hard dirt and rocks, but also mud and slick caliche mud, as well as severe northwest rains and mud, snow/slush/ice.

Thanks again on pointers on the BFG and balance issues....some great advise there. Would you say your MPGs stayed the same as stock? Did you stay same size?
Cheers
:cheers:

Let me share my experience with both of these. The silent armors are quiet, extremely grippy on all surfaces and more importantly wet pavement.

However, I had to return mine, 3 of 4 were defective with bulging sidewalls, not only dangerous but really disappointing for such an expensive tire.

BFG's look better, clearly better quality construction but hell to get balanced. My suggestion is if you decide on BFG have the tire store pull 8 tires and watch for any that require a ton of weight, have them discard those and keep going till you have 4 that require little or no weights, that is the only solution I have found for balancing these tires.

Additional considerations. I spoke with 4 tire dealers in Alaska, they all said matter of fact, no body sells or advises the use of any BFG's in Alaska because they chunk and fall apart in cold weather, secondly the AT's do not perform well in any muddy conditions as the treads clog. The majority also said they liked Goodyears because of the softer compound and tread designs did better in ice, snow etc but they all said blizzaks were king up there. I dont know if this is a big consideration, I see your in New Mexico.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I currently have the 275x70x17 and they are the best tires i have owned..They are not as aggressive in tread as Nittos and others but for rain and snow they are great. Another tire to consider are the Toyo Open Country AT they were an excellent tire as well.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I currently have the 275x70x17 and they are the best tires i have owned..They are not as aggressive in tread as Nittos and others but for rain and snow they are great. Another tire to consider are the Toyo Open Country AT they were an excellent tire as well.
Sorry Amleo, which ones do you have? The Silent Armor ones? I wanted that size as well: basically half inch taller yes? Actually looked at Toyo the other day, and thought they looked impressive and were very affordable!
Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
12,952 Posts
I have had the Goodyear SA's in the past and they are a fantastic tire. Nener had bulges or balancing issues, used them through winter here in all kind of conditions and in temps dipping past -40F. The SA's performed exactly as advertised.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have a set of Silent Armors and have almost 48 000 km (30 000 miles) on them. I have never had a problem with bulging or balancing. I do believe they cut my mpg down ever so slightly (never measured it but I'd say maybe one mile per gallon) over the original Dunlops. I have six speed manual and I averaged 23.5 mpg (based on the Imperial gallon) on a highway trip this past summer (average speed 100 kph (60 mph)). These tires are rated for snow and handle very well in it.

·
can i become 1/2mil90 for a little while
2,555 Posts
I have the SA's currently. They are not as noisy as the BFG. BFG may have a slight edge on mud, but SA probably has the slight edge on daily driving. Overall I'd say performance is the same between the two. Never had any problem with either tire.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sorry Amleo, which ones do you have? The Silent Armor ones? I wanted that size as well: basically half inch taller yes? Actually looked at Toyo the other day, and thought they looked impressive and were very affordable!
Thanks!!
goodyear wrangler silent armors in 275x70..i have 30k miles on them and are wearing great..excellent in wet florida weather and great in snow too..i like the duratrac but aggressive tread is horrible in florida rain..AM

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a set of Silent Armors and have almost 48 000 km (30 000 miles) on them. I have never had a problem with bulging or balancing. I do believe they cut my mpg down ever so slightly (never measured it but I'd say maybe one mile per gallon) over the original Dunlops. I have six speed manual and I averaged 23.5 mpg (based on the Imperial gallon) on a highway trip this past summer (average speed 100 kph (60 mph)). These tires are rated for snow and handle very well in it.
Thanks Jgerg, and everyone for your input. I have heard nearly everyone mention some kind of MPG drop. I imagine with this tire inparticular it's due to A) Up one tire size, B) Increased weight by nearly 10lbs per tire and C) Rolling resistance.
All of that MUST cause MPG to drop, with any tire.

The $80 off deal is really hard to pass up, since on paper it looks as though I am getting a slightly better tire with the GY SA, stats wise. Plus they look pretty good. Not as good as the BFG, which I think are perfect looking, but I am not hardcore enough off road, and not off road enough to run such an aggressive tire I think. I would really hate to lose more than 1mpg, and even that makes me nervous!

Thanks all. If you ever have pics, just post a link and I would love to see the Goodyears on your rig.

Cheers all and thanks for the assist. Will post when I make up my mind!!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
goodyear wrangler silent armors in 275x70..i have 30k miles on them and are wearing great..excellent in wet florida weather and great in snow too..i like the duratrac but aggressive tread is horrible in florida rain..AM
Hey thanks. I looked at the Duratrac tires too....read GREAT reviews here on them. But they are a bit too aggressive for my daily 80% highway long distance driving stuff. Plus driving from heavy rain areas like the Northwest to the high desert at 7000 feet, all are taking a number on the tires I have. So these are looking promising. Just wish they didn't weigh so much and drop the mileage at all! Can't have everything!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey thanks. I looked at the Duratrac tires too....read GREAT reviews here on them. But they are a bit too aggressive for my daily 80% highway long distance driving stuff. Plus driving from heavy rain areas like the Northwest to the high desert at 7000 feet, all are taking a number on the tires I have. So these are looking promising. Just wish they didn't weigh so much and drop the mileage at all! Can't have everything!!
i say get what you like and if your worried about the loss of a gallon or two...bring a brown bag for lunch a couple of time a week save money and then :cheers:jack your truck to the sky...boys and their toys!

·
Registered
46 Posts
"Original post from JayFF": However, I had to return mine, 3 of 4 were defective with bulging sidewalls, not only dangerous but really disappointing for such an expensive tire.

I too have Problems with Vibration , Being Hard to balance And side wall defects. With that being said, It's a shame Because it's a Great looking, And Quiet riding tire. Wet grip is fantastic, And they are a heavy tire. Tire Place where I bought them Has agree'd to get me what ever I want, So I had them order the Hankook RF10 ATM. I bought the GOODYears on 12/30/2010 And have been Pursuing the problems of the GoodYear tires since.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,952 Posts
Buying a tire based on looks is like marrying a women based on her chest size.

This is one thing were function out weighs form.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Perhaps not the best picture to show off the Silent Armors...but it'll give you an idea of what they look like.

nice!! Smart camp set up too. Are those 285?
Thanks for the pic. I think I'm going with the SA's. They have a little less weight, less rolling resistance, and are on sale for under $1000 installed. That's all win win for me. BFG look great on this machine, but the 275 aen't severe winter rated, and where I live it's needed.

Thanks all:cheers:

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Have any of y'all used the GY SA offroad in rough stuff (i.e. sharp rocks, mud, etc)? What is your review with it in these types of terrain.

They seem to be pretty mild tires.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My first mod was the bilstein adjustables to level and new 287/70/17. I initially went with the Hankook AT. Had horrible time balancing and they rode incredibly hard over the smallest bumps. After 30 days, and numerous trips to Discount Tire, I had them replaced with 287/70/17 Silent Armor.

I could not be happier. Great traction....very quiet....very smooth and gas mileage improved over the Hankooks.

My vote....try out the silent armor's. I think you will be happy!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hey JayFF,

I had just re-read your original post on the BFG and the GY tires. Thanks for replying. Yeah, you are hitting most issues there and was surprised at the bubbles you had on the GY SA. Might be because they were "pro grade", HA! They have a great $80 discount on them right now.

The BFG just look awesome, no doubt. And god knows there are a million rave reviews on them, aside from some issues like you pointed out about mud clearing and not great for serious snow,(although severe snow marked?)

I live in New Mexico now, but drive a TON on highway, and most up to Oregon and Northwest. So I am concerned about MPG and the sloppy crap they get up here..which I recently drove through. The AT/S I have now were just scary.

I do some good off-roading, again, in New Mex and here, so lots of hard dirt and rocks, but also mud and slick caliche mud, as well as severe northwest rains and mud, snow/slush/ice.

Thanks again on pointers on the BFG and balance issues....some great advise there. Would you say your MPGs stayed the same as stock? Did you stay same size?
Cheers
:cheers:
I use my Garmin GPS to track my real time fuel mileage, I average 22 mpgs almost constantly, it varies from 21-22 unless I am in traffic but regular city driving is 21-22, I didn't notice a difference between the two tires.

Another option that might work is the Wrangler DuraTrac tire. I like them a lot, great siping, large tread blocks but only 2 ply sidewall but, for general usage they look like a great hybrid tire design, they will most likely be my next set.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts