Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

641 - 660 of 683 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I never used one for that application. How well does it hold up to heat, expansion, leaking? I’ve beaten them around on river boats but never to the extent of what you are doing with it. Just looking for some feedback as it might be a viable solution for some of my trips.
It holds up very well. I've used it in some pretty hot trips (Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, and Mojave Road all during June or July) and it expands as expected. It's never leaked, but it will vent a little when it gets really hot out. It's also relatively easy to transfer gas to the FJ using a jiggler siphon (although I learned on this trip that it's easier to get maximum transfer when the tubing is warm and pliable than when it's cold and doesn't want to unwind). I think it's an excellent solution.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I got back from an epic trip 3 weeks or so ago.
Some friends and I went out to Big Bend Ranch State Park, which is huge. We hit some trails in the main park area the first 3 days.
On our last day we hit the more remote and rugged section in the NW side of the park, named Cienega Mountain Area.

This first video is an hour long. (I know, I know)
It's of the Botella trail that leads into the main park area from the north.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Some friends and I went out to Big Bend Ranch State Park, which is huge. We hit some trails in the main park area the first 3 days.
On our last day we hit the more remote and rugged section in the NW side of the park, named Cienega Mountain Area.

The 2nd Video I put out is the exit from our last trail on our last day in the park.
It's from Casa Ramon via the East Casa Piedra trail to the main park road.
It's an hour long too.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts

This last video is a compilation of photos and video about the whole trip. It's ONLY 20 minutes long. :)

·
Registered
879 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Video from cell phone on dash

Attended a 4X4 fundraising safari out of Kawhia last weekend. Kept forgetting to turn the video on and off so ended up with a lot of dull footage but have made up an 11 minute compilation of lots of short clips of different segments of the tracks. Even following another FJ for some of it.

·
Registered
879 Posts
My son has a well-loved GoPro 3 that I've been using. The video from that thing has been amazing. But I recently purchased a GoPro 6 Black. Wow, what a difference! Image stabilization has changed everything. My first time to use it was with the recent FJ gathering at Oregon Dunes in Florence. I've posted the same links on the Florence picture chain, but since that's only of regional interest I thought I'd post it here too.

I took over an hour of 1080p footage--32 Gig. Editing this down to a reasonable amount was about the limit of what my laptop was capable of!

The first video is short--less than 2 minutes long. It's really a highlight reel of the moments I remember most.

The second video is longer. My focus on this one was to be able to get in all the different terrains we tackled and at the same time feature as many of the awesome FJs that were with us as possible.

Thank you @BOBTAILFJ for letting me use some of your video in my clips!

·
Registered
903 Posts
This one was not recorded with a GoPro, but with the Insta360 One X 360-degree camera. This camera is amazing.

This is the Green River Cutoff Trail near Green River, Utah. I was driving from Buckhorn Wash Rd southeast toward Green River. I had the Insta360 One X mounted on a 106" long selfie stick. The selfie stick sits in the camera's only blind spot so it appears invisible in most of the footage. It's like having a personal cameraman hovering over your FJ. This is raw audio and video straight from the camera. I recorded this as a test of the camera in different positions and to see what the raw video and audio would be like. The audio is all digitized wind noise, so you may want to turn your volume down a bit.

The Insta360 One X is available on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2UiIVXi

This is an amazon link to the 106" long carbon fiber selfie pole that we had the camera mounted on: https://amzn.to/2UcIbmj

I'm really looking forward to taking this camera with me on all my offroad adventures this year.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Here's another new one. This is the start of the Black Dragon Wash Trail in the San Rafael Swell of Utah. I stopped at the rock art in the first canyon. The trail continues on for several more miles and gets more difficult before it eventually joins the Buckhorn Wash Rd.

This video was recorded on both a GoPro Hero 7 Black and the Insta360 One X.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Here's another new one. This is the start of the Black Dragon Wash Trail in the San Rafael Swell of Utah. I stopped at the rock art in the first canyon. The trail continues on for several more miles and gets more difficult before it eventually joins the Buckhorn Wash Rd.

This video was recorded on both a GoPro Hero 7 Black and the Insta360 One X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRyOwLvmUFY
Cool video. I subscribed to your channel.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Here's three videos from our Memorial Weekend trip to Southern Death Valley. We started at Trona Pinnacles, which is always a great place to camp. The next day we drove through Goler Wash to Barker Ranch and then crossed over Mengel Pass to Butte Valley, and camped at the head of Anvil Canyon. Although not in the videos, the following day we drove out of the park on Warm Springs Rd and Jubilee Pass Rd to Shoshone, where the gas was shockingly $5.25/gallon, and then home.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Here is the way out of Metberry Gulch recorded on a 360 degree camera attached to the back of my FJ. At 13:55 you can see me trying to make room for 3 Jeeps to pass me while 2 different groups of motorcycles attempt to pass all of us. Good times!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Is this the proper forum to ask GoPro camera questions? I don't want my hand slapped. :mecry:

I wouldn't mind getting a cheap used one for my upcoming trip out west, but I don't know what older model is worth a damn, or what equipment I would need, or where to mount it (no roof rack), or....etc, etc...

TYIA

641 - 660 of 683 Posts