Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Home Depot today, bought my paint and headed to the parking lot. I reached in my pocket and got my keys but I found that the key case opened and the guts fell out. I searched the parking lot but to no avail. Now the car won't start! Luckily I have a remote starter on the car and it started. I went straight to the Toyota dealer and got an education! A new key would be $225 and another $260 to program it!!! Yikes $500 for a new key. Luckily we have 2 other cars to use as I move to plan B. Unluckily I do not have a plan B!
Any help will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Some Ace and Batteries+ locations can cut and program Toyota chip keys for relatively cheap, though you may have to order the blank or at least the fob yourself (amazon).
Be aware there are different versions of RFID chips for different years/systems.
You can program the fob (buttons) yourself with the funky door/lock/ignition dance, but you need a programmer to link the RFID ignition chip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RDTCU,
Thank you for the advice!!! I am going to a local Batteries Plus as they have a key blank. The key will run $29.99 plus $49.99 to cut and program. Sounds like a great deal to me.
Thank you again,
Rich

·
Registered
2008 FJ, 3" lift, american racing rims, homemade t-case shift handle
276 Posts
Get a plain key. No buttons. Thats what I did. My FJ only came with one key. The one with buttons. My local dealer cut one and programed it for under a $100.00 plus tax. Mine is an '08 though. Wouldnt hurt to ask if its an option.
I am in Canada so pricing could be different...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Get a plain key. No buttons. Thats what I did. My FJ only came with one key. The one with buttons. My local dealer cut one and programed it for under a $100.00 plus tax. Mine is an '08 though. Wouldnt hurt to ask if its an option.
I am in Canada so pricing could be different...
I am going through the same thing. Local lock shop will cut a key and program it for 70 bucks. No remote but I can live with that for the second key.
Kevin K.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was at Home Depot today, bought my paint and headed to the parking lot. I reached in my pocket and got my keys but I found that the key case opened and the guts fell out. I searched the parking lot but to no avail. Now the car won't start! Luckily I have a remote starter on the car and it started. I went straight to the Toyota dealer and got an education! A new key would be $225 and another $260 to program it!!! Yikes $500 for a new key. Luckily we have 2 other cars to use as I move to plan B. Unluckily I do not have a plan B!
Any help will be appreciated.
I am su re you have already gotten a solution, but over the years I have needed several expensive keys cut on Porsches and others. I found a place called keys in the post where you can take a picture of your key and email it to them and they make a key from the photo. They are in England, but turnaround is pretty quick and very reasonable. They have made me several and all worked great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts