Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Test fitted the air tank to the spot I wanted to mount it and it went in perfectly. I decided to go here because I felt it was too exposed if mounted in front of the rear bumper. Got my tank in - IH8MUD™ Forums

Sorry I have to post a link to MUD, but I can't figure out how to post pics as anything other than a thumbnail on this forum. I really want to do a complete build thread here but I can't until I figure out how to post full size pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Re: Got my tank in!

Looks good so far!:bigthumb: Where are you going to mount the compressors???

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so I just figured out how to post pics that aren't thumbnails! So here are are a couple pics of where I mounted the tank and compressor. We have to finish the wiring and plumbing this thursday, but it should be pretty easy as we have already routed most of the wiring.

So, here is the bracket you have to cut off if you want to mount the tank here.

I put the compressor in the rear over the drivers side wheel. I know they get hot, but it will be less likely to fail here than under the truck where it would be exposed to the elements. I also bought a fabric heat shield that I can place behind it if it starts to get really hot.

Drilled out the rear light access panel to run the hose and wire under the truck. I'll probably stick a rubber grommet in the hole just to make it really clean. But it looks fine as is... pretty much out of sight.

I am still trying to decide on where to mount the pressure gauge and on/off switch. I got a toggle instead of the switch that came with it. Easier to drill a circle than a square.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
That is close to where mine is going. My TT has an extra rear crossmember for attatching the front edge of the rear skid. Im going to use two of the skid plate bolts and secure a piece of metal to them and the tank will mount on that metal. My compressor is going under the hood to a custom bent/cut piece of metal. Ill take pics when I do it, Im still waiting on the metal shop to finish the pieces. They only charged me $35 for 2 custom pieces of galvinized steel.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is close to where mine is going. My TT has an extra rear crossmember for attatching the front edge of the rear skid. Im going to use two of the skid plate bolts and secure a piece of metal to them and the tank will mount on that metal. My compressor is going under the hood to a custom bent/cut piece of metal. Ill take pics when I do it, Im still waiting on the metal shop to finish the pieces. They only charged me $35 for 2 custom pieces of galvinized steel.
sounds cool. You gotta show us some pics of that. I couldn't mount under the hood for the compressor. There just isn't any room under there!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finished the install on the OBA and it is working perfectly now. It took a bit of time to get it totally leak free, but now it is sweet. I decided not to mount the gauge in the dash because of the amount of cutting required. I worry that the plastic will break if I need to pull the dash panel. I did mount the switch there, however. I used a toggle with a boot. I really like how it turned out.

I just put the gauge in the jack compartment cover. It looks good, functions well, and saved me the trouble of routing all that tubing:

I used a T fitting to run two hoses along the frame and I mounted quick connects in the hole in the gusset on my sliders:

Because I used a male end, I had to add a shutoff valve in the line:

If you are installing a kit like this, thread tape is your best friend. I used a TON. She is holding pressure like a champ:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
If you are installing a kit like this, thread tape is your best friend. I used a TON. She is holding pressure like a champ:
I used TFE paste with Teflon for my set up, it's a thread lubricant and sealer. It was a lot easier to put the fittings together with the paste rather than the teflon tape. The people I talked to agreed that the teflon tape wasn't sufficient for their 150 psi tanks, and that the paste sealed a lot better. The only downside is that it is a bit messy, but if you are careful, you can do a clean job.

Also for the mounting location of the QD's, I've seen people mount them by the receiver hitch and in the front bumper. It seems like it would be hard to connect a QD when your undercarriage is all muddy after offroading. It would require to get on your knees or back to try and connect the hose rather than a easier to access QD in the front and back.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The tape is holding up fine so far, but thanks for the info. I'll use that stuff in the future.

I mounted my QDs the same way Excrement did. As far as I know he has had no problems so far. I like that it is centrally located on both sides so I don't have to pull the air hose all around to air up. All of it can be changed.... it is just air hose and washers. If I find it a pain in the ass, I'll try mounting where you suggest. I also like the current spot because everything is tucked away and protected.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Tape works great if applied properly.

I've had tape work great for years on high pressure tanks in excess of 250 psi.

The heavy yellow gas line tape works really well since its thicker to start with but the white should work just fine.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Teflon tape is fine if used correctly. Make sure the threads are completely clean before applying the tape. Always wrap in the direction of the thread - ie: the opposite direction you turn the part when assembling. Use only two layers - two complete turns. Keep the tape completely flat, with no bunching. I have used teflon tape for years in high pressure air and steam applications with no issues whatsoever.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts