Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amaesing install...............take II

This thing was frustrating, but overall wasn't too difficult (with the knowledge I got from ruining the first one). The main issues I had were lining it up, and getting the back to fold down properly. In the end I cut most of the back off with a razorblade.

I also added a CF TRD overlay. I came real close to getting a "VooDoo" cut out instead. If I did it again I probably would.

Time for a beer.:cheers:

More pics from various angles here: FJ Cruiser pictures by monk75 - Photobucket

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Nice. Good to see some more Voodoo pics. I placed my order yesterday! It looks like you did a good job. Did you install alone or have help? I'm probably gonna go out this weekend to buy the squeegee. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Hey 2 tries is better than 3!! :)

I am glad you did not give up. I think the decal makes the FJ look so much better (my opinion).

Looks great!... There is a way to cut the decal and the edge of the hood and not have to fold it over over. You can cut it so you do not see any hood color...I think you saw on the last thread, I cut it and used L-molding just to dress it up.

Anyway, awesome job and it looks suweeet!!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice. Good to see some more Voodoo pics. I placed my order yesterday! I looks like you did a good job. Did you install alone or have help? I'm probably gonna go out this weekend to buy the squeegee. Any suggestions?
I had help. You definitely need a second pair of hands.
I used a standard window squeegee and lots of invisible glass which amaesing recommends in their install video. Make sure you soak the back side of the decal before it comes off the paper. If not you risk doing what I did the first time and having it stick to itself.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey 2 tries is better than 3!! :)

I am glad you did not give up. I think the decal makes the FJ look so much better (my opinion).

Looks great!... There is a way to cut the decal and the edge of the hood and not have to fold it over over. You can cut it so you do not see any hood color...I think you saw on the last thread, I cut it and used L-molding just to dress it up.

Anyway, awesome job and it looks suweeet!!
Edit, I found the link in one of your other posts.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Looks good!:bigthumb: I too like seeing this on the VB. I ordered mine a few weeks ago and it's sitting in the garage waiting for me to get back from deployment in June to slap that puppy on! I can't wait to reduce the roof light glare with this baby...

·
Registered
170 Posts
It looks great with your blackout treatment. I like the added trd touch. slick.

++ ive done these type of decals before. DO NOT try it by yourself. And yes there is never too much lubricant. I like the baby shampoo mix but ive used the invisible glass too ig seems to evap quicker which is nice. Be sure to watch the youtube video he has before doing it.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Can you get anything you want in that overlay? Any logo or type or is there a list you pick from?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
lookin good. i like the black out hood on the vdb

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Perseverance rocks! :rocker: Nicely done. Now keeping bumping the old thread to remind me not to try it by myself when I do this... :lol:

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Looks crooked? you should redo it. haha... j/k.

I have to put my order in... eventually! Totally completes the look of the FJ... no matter what color!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have amaesing's decal as well and its one of my favorite add-ons for the FJ. Gives the truck more character and saves you from glare once in a while too! I chickened out and went to a window tint guy to get it installed because i didnt have help at home. They did a great job although they could have lined it up a bit better. Things that really helped them do a no-bubble installation were their continuous spray bottle to wet down the decal and a very hot but low air flow dryer. Overall i love it. Its been thru a few thousand miles, car washes and storms without any damage.

·
Registered
202 Posts
how do you remove the nozzle on the hood? I have mine sitting in the garage and thinking about doing it today. Cleaned the hood, took the hoses off then got stuck with the nozzles.

**nevermind*** just figured it out... Now its time to talk me out of doing it myself, but it looks so good.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
looks like we may have to merge some threads...

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Put mine on Friday evening. Had to press my mom into service to help cuz I was too impatient to wait for anyone else. Had no issues getting it layed down and moved around. I made sure to spray the sticky side as I peeled it off to eliminate the possibility of it sticking to itself. The problems came when it was time to fold it over the back edge of the hood. Couldn't do it the first time without it wrinkling. Decided we didn't pull it tight enough at the top when applying so I peeled it back off and tried again. Fixed the wrinkle problem but could not for the life of me get it to fold over without creating air bubbles at the edge. Plus it developed a small tear right on the edge, but I think that was due to a poorly placed rock chip which created a jagged edge. The next day i ended up cutting all the excess off from the underside. This helped me get rid of most of the air pockets at the edge. But due to the tear I'm gonna cover the back edge of the hood with some black edge guard stuff as someone else has done.

In addition I had one small air bubble that I tried popping with a pin but the decal won't stay stuck down. Also the decal got a bunch of scratches on it. I used a brand new shower squeegee. Oh well, the perfectionist in me isn't happy with the flaws, but my frugal nature says the trade-off was worth it to save $60(lowest estimate I got for install). I gotta say though that I love how the truck looks with it on.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts