Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right I took my FJ down to Denver yesterday and Mother Nature effectivley sandblasted it while driving down 6th ave East. The wind blew sand pebbles and rocks so hard that I got 4 roch chips in my windshield, countless pits, and it actually BROKE MY WINDSHIELD! Not to mention the paint which is all dinged up. I'm surprised my headlights didn't blow out! I called the dealer to see if I could swing a new windshield out of them. They told me that if it's a stress crack they would do something otherwise I'm on my own. It just blows. I didn't even get to put a coat of wax on it yet. Anybody know where I can get a buy one get one free windshield deal in Colorado? My Taco needs one too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I feel for ya brother, I asked about glass coverage and was told "nope" I lowered my comp deductible to $250 because I know the windshield is going to be expensive till some aftermarket glass comes out.

Sorry...:(

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
dunno if you guys get these things, but around here im always getting those "valpack" coupon things in the mail. usually these have at least one add for some windshield repair company that offers big discounts or free replacements of your windshield - or some kind of deal. dunno if that really helps, but it's off the top of my thinskull.

all i can say is,.........time for a paintjob!!! pine green would be my choice. mine as well take this opportunity to make yours the most unique FJ out there,....id color match the roof too.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Having owned 2 jeeps which went through windshields about twice a year I lowered my comprehensive to a zero deductible. In my case it added $20 every six months which has saved me a couple hundred twice a year.

Something to look into.

·
Registered
982 Posts
caliFJ said:
dunno if you guys get these things, but around here im always getting those "valpack" coupon things in the mail. usually these have at least one add for some windshield repair company that offers big discounts or free replacements of your windshield - or some kind of deal. dunno if that really helps, but it's off the top of my thinskull.

all i can say is,.........time for a paintjob!!! pine green would be my choice. mine as well take this opportunity to make yours the most unique FJ out there,....id color match the roof too.
You don't like the (retro) white roofs?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
JohnGalt said:
You don't like the (retro) white roofs?
can you sleep on it??

nah, i like it just fine....but if i were repainting my rig id color match it.....pine green.....although i really do like my avatar thing down there roosty woosty made for me. so i dunno.

why do you wanna confuse me dammit.......i may poop myself

·
Registered
982 Posts
caliFJ said:
can you sleep on it??

nah, i like it just fine....but if i were repainting my rig id color match it.....pine green.....although i really do like my avatar thing down there roosty woosty made for me. so i dunno.

why do you wanna confuse me dammit.......i may poop myself
Thank you for your kind post. I laughed and almost pooped myself!

Hey, it did lead me to a solution of one of the world's greatest problems. Which reminds me that I wish the politicians would work on solutions to real problems like, Can You Sleep On It?

Here's the deal. You cannot adequately sleep in the back of your FJ. HOWEVER, there is so much freakin' headroom, that someone (get on this TRDSource and/or my buddy Marv at Spector) could market an internal FJ (oh yes, 2-person) Hammock! FJ sleeping and sex problem solved.

Poop on that Cali! lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry bout your FJ's damage. I test-drove a black-cherry FJ yesterday (in Mesa, AZ). While on the freeway at about 60 mph the tell tale 'zap' sound of a stone on windshield occurred. Back at the dealership, the salesman and I could see a ding in the FJ's hood and chip in the windshield. Another employee was very angry, said "we should not be allowing test drives of our vehicles." He sort of blamed me for the damage. Soon afterwards, another party drove the vehicle, and bought it.
It was said the windshield would be expensive to replace. I felt badly, but would not buy a vehicle without a test drive. As an aside, I did note that backing up has to be done nearly 'blind', due to poor visibility. The FJ I drove was a manual trans, and very pleasant to shift, though I'd prefer an automatic trans for my use. I had no trouble with the side blind spot, either, the side mirrors seemed to handle that problem OK. The various observers there did feel the front end would be subject to more damage--as it is a large, flat surface. Maybe a bug-deflector would help....

·
Registered
260 Posts
In Massachusetts, if your windsheild goes for any reason, its fully covered by ins, they used to cover the side windows too until people bashed them in for the stero's and then that coverage became optional....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Tacoma_Tom said:
That's right I took my FJ down to Denver yesterday and Mother Nature effectivley sandblasted it while driving down 6th ave East. The wind blew sand pebbles and rocks so hard that I got 4 roch chips in my windshield, countless pits, and it actually BROKE MY WINDSHIELD! Not to mention the paint which is all dinged up. I'm surprised my headlights didn't blow out! I called the dealer to see if I could swing a new windshield out of them. They told me that if it's a stress crack they would do something otherwise I'm on my own. It just blows. I didn't even get to put a coat of wax on it yet. Anybody know where I can get a buy one get one free windshield deal in Colorado? My Taco needs one too.
Man, Tom, that really sucks! Yesterday's wind was crazyness. Sping winds here are terrible because of all the gravel left from our snows. I can't believe this happened to your new FJ :( I have had both of my trucks repainted because mother nature felt the need throw rocks at them. Windshield aside, how bad is the paint. Run your hand along the A-pillars and just above the front fendors. These are common places for wind damage. How pitted is it? Have you called your insurance, you should have them look at the paint. It ran about $7000 for each of my trucks to be repainted.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Tacoma_Tom said:
Windshield price is $1053.00 part # 56101-35070
Ill sell you one for $759.67 + shipping.

Let me know
You may also need mouldings. Check with a local glass installer to see if you will need the mouldings.

·
Registered
722 Posts
trdsource said:
Windshield price is $1053.00 part # 56101-35070
Ill sell you one for $759.67 + shipping.

Let me know
You may also need mouldings. Check with a local glass installer to see if you will need the mouldings.
HOLY $HIT!!!!!!!!

Note to self don't break the FU(KIN WINDSHEILD....

MACTIKI

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks y'all.
It's a very unfortunate thing. I'm taking as positive an approach as I can. Something's got to happen to a new vehicle sooner or later. Mine came sooner. It's upsetting especially the crack. As for the paint, it's pitted and has some chips. As well as those nice clear headlights. I'm not too concerned about all the pitts on the bumper. I look at it as motivation for an ARB! I'm getting my insurance stuff together right now and then I'm going to see them about what to do next week.
I think I'll pass on the windshield offer. thanks for the ?discount?? Can't believe the price. Most of the damaged parts are replaceable. That strip across the top of the windshield, the windshield, The A-pillar pieces, grille, headlights, and Front bumper. I'd be stoked if ins. would get me all that replaced. I don't need a full on paint job. I'll be taking this off road anyway so It's going to get some blemishes from the trail.
-Wish me luck

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Dude ....sema green go for it.....I will give you a "By it now price " for the sema green......Really what has your insurance co. said ? ( other than WTF you've only had it for 3 days)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know what they're going to say. I'm getting it put on my ins right now. I'll let them know after everything is in order. Then I'll let you guys know.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Toyota better send a lot of windshields from japan. Hopefully a chinese replacent for $250 will be available soon. The FJ is going to go through windshields about as much as a jeep wrangler- which would be every year or two. I mean, look at it... it's a vertical, glass rock catcher.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"Windshields are not covered in Colorado" that's what I was told. I've got to gat a quote on the rest of the work. Maybe tomorrow I'll start running around to some body shops.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey, maybe I'll get lucky and an ARB will be cheaper than a new Toyota bumper! That's what happened to a fried of mine with his Tacoma.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts