Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
BFG M/T 255/85/16.

Mounted and balanced using a road force, but there is still a little shimmy at highway speeds. Is this normal? I've never owned a truck with mud tires.

Thanks.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's more in the steering wheel. I don't really feel it much, but when I let go of the wheel, it shimmys.

I'll get pics later.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
i think you mean 285 75 16's ? unless you are running some really small sidewalll tires.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
X2 on the rebalance. I ran 37s on my pick-up and never experienced a shimmy with my BFG M/Ts. I always received good balances from my local 4 Wheel Parts...FWIW.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
is it shimmy or bounce...i always think of shimmy as side to side like alignment....and bouncing tires (rough) for balance.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
i think you mean 285 75 16's ? unless you are running some really small sidewalll tires.
I'm sorry. 255/85/16 33"x10" "Pizza cutters", if you will.

And thanks. I'll get them re-balanced. ugh.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are some pics, 5x5:

BGF M/T 255/85/16

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BTW, it's hard to tell without the fender flares, but do you have a lift? If not, any rubbing with these tires???
No rub without a lift. I do have a lift though. It's sitting in my living room waiting to go on tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Does it happen between a specific MPH range (like between 50-60 MPH) and go away at a faster speed. Or, does it just shimmy above a certain speed and not go away.

I had issues with my SS TrXus MT 255/85/16's, no one could get the balanced. Then I took all the weights off and put in Dynabeads and haven't had an issue since. On my last set, I didn't even ask them to try and balance, just put the Dynabeads in at install and been good since...

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No rub at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts