Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Five boxes arrived last night and inside were my new wheels! :clap: They accidently send one with a five lug pattern, but I called and they are sending out another for me. These things are pretty wicked. I got a set of cooper Discover STT tires to throw on, but couldn't get the outer bead to seat up against the lip for the lockring. The rubber just seemed to stiff and beefy to stretch enough to pop into place. It was very frustrating and I sliced my thumb to the bone trying. I'm gonna take em in monday to the local off road shop to have them do it. The directions say to line up the voids, but I really like the look of them when they aren't aligned. Here is how they look when they aren't lined up:

and lined up:

some detail:

I'll throw up some photos of them with the tires too. A funny side note... My female lab puppy was eager to check out the boxes and what was inside. My male puppy was suspiciously absent. When I went inside this is what I found!

He is such a trouble making goofball...... Labs.:lol:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
oh wow those look great Toledo! So glad you got the right bolt pattern!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I vote for not ligned up!

Hope your thumb heals up soon, My HMO consists of duct tape and crazy glue.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I like the staggered look better too. The only problem I could see with it is that it would be less likely to shed mud that way. I'll call them and ask if it is cool to stagger them. More like a crazy spider web! We got one mounted to test fit, and everything cleared with no problems. Well.... the tires rubbed at full turns, but I'm doing the chop soon, so no matter. I can't wait to get some pics up when they are on the rig.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Just talking out my a$$, but it might be a balancing issue. Might want to ask the supplier first.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good point. I'm gonna call them monday anyhow to ask about any tricks getting the bead seated on the lip for the lockring. I'll ask whats up then. Thanks!

Here are a couple pics of them semi mounted:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Cool looking setup Toledo. I like the lined up look. I don't think there will be a balance issue if they were not lined up. If the wheel is well made and the rings are machined correctly there's no reason why one way would be different from another. How much do they weight? Do they have 16s?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. These are 17s, but they make 15s, 17s, 18's. and 20s. You'll have to check if they make the right bolt pattern for us in those other sizes. I guess you're right on the balance issue. I think they just suggest it lined up so you don't get stuff stuck in there.

·
Premium Member
17,095 Posts
Nice looking wheels! Looking forward to some pics with it all mounted on the FJ. Chris

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Me too! I wish I had brought my camera to take a photo of the one we test fitted so you can get an idea of how they will look.

I have to use splined lug nuts with these wheels. What is the size and thread pitch we need? I thought I remember it being 12-1.25 Is that correct?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Me too! I wish I had brought my camera to take a photo of the one we test fitted so you can get an idea of how they will look.

I have to use splined lug nuts with these wheels. What is the size and thread pitch we need? I thought I remember it being 12-1.25 Is that correct?
Needs to be 12mmX1.5

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahhh. I thought that might be the case, but I wasn't sure. Looks like it is exchange time!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Those wheels look SWEET!!! Now lets see them mounted on the FJ!:rocker:

....BTW any balancing issues with the wheels yet???

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll let you know. I'm going to try to get em mounted and balanced tomorrow. They said they were going to have to use balancing tape instead of the little weights. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I'll let you know. I'm going to try to get em mounted and balanced tomorrow. They said they were going to have to use balancing tape instead of the little weights. We'll see.
I've had a lot of issues with stick on weights. They tend to fall off for me. If you're in mud, they'll come off even more often. Dynabeads are the best solution imho. Just have to make sure you have enough beads.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've had a lot of issues with stick on weights. They tend to fall off for me. If you're in mud, they'll come off even more often. Dynabeads are the best solution imho. Just have to make sure you have enough beads.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I will definitely inquire about them. Do you have a link to where I can get some if the local shop doesn't have 'em?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
X2 with the not aligned up. LOL @ the doggie.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I will definitely inquire about them. Do you have a link to where I can get some if the local shop doesn't have 'em?
I ordered from them directly. Pretty fast shipping. Get the bigger off road beads. Tire Balancing Products

1 - 20 of 30 Posts